AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Radioshack has a remote control (catalog #15-2104) that controls 6 devices and has the ReplayTV keys pre-programmed. I know this is true for showstoppers up to HS3000. I'm unclear if they work for 4000+ models(but I bet they do). This remote has the JP! stuff that lets you plug it into a computer(need to make a cord for about $10) and get as geeky as you want with the buttons. No need to though, you can punch in the showstopper codes to make any key the showstopper button you want. The remote has a nice backlit and many other subtle frills. The people in the 'remote control' threads talk alot about this model.

The well fitted model is on clearence now for $9.97 and is discontinued. Right now the average Radioshack has about 1 of them left.

I wanted to tell you how to systematically find one without driving around aimlessly. Use the 'Store Locations' feature on the Radioshack.com site to find the phone number of a radioshack in a convienient driving area. Call them and tell them you have a catalog number and you want to know how many they have in stock. Tell him the catalog # is 15-2104. If he tells you they have one, ask him to check to see if it's physically in stock for you. If so, your set. If he says he doesn't have any or the one(s) listed aren't actually in the store ask him what other radioshacks have a quanity of the iem listed as 'in stock' and get the phone numbers (he has a computer right in front of him that shows all the quanities of the nearby stores). Call them and ask them to do the physical check before you go get it. I also printed the list of stores the 'store locator' gave as results and it made it really easy cause all I had to do is write the quantity he told me beside the printed out address and phonenumber.

This sounds so deep, but it only took me about 40 min to figure out from scratch. And I pass it on to you to do in 15 min.

icecow

·
Registered
3,139 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chris Gerhard
Robman's picture is bigger than actual size but the remote is larger than a Showstopper remote by maybe 25%, it is pretty big.

Chris
Funny, on my 15" monitor it looks like it's the original size. ;)

·
Registered
267 Posts
I read about this today and stopped my my local Radio Shack at lunch and picked one up. I am somewhat new to the Replay (I have a 5040), and extremely new to these programmable remotes.

Is there a way for me to program this remote to control my Replay manually or am I going to have to look into this JP1 thing?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BulkHedd
I read about this today and stopped my my local Radio Shack at lunch and picked one up. I am somewhat new to the Replay (I have a 5040), and extremely new to these programmable remotes.

Is there a way for me to program this remote to control my Replay manually or am I going to have to look into this JP1 thing?
the information you seek is contained in this very thread

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
This is perfect, I just got a 5040 open box with no remote. I have been using my 3k series remote, but I plan on ebaying them soon.

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Use the VCR button with the code 614, or 616.

PRESS VCR button

PRESS the indented 'P' button with a stick for about 4 seconds. It will blink once immediately, then blink twice after a few seconds of keeping it down.

TYPE in 0616 (use the 4 digit format). It should blink twice again if you did it sucessfully. It will give one long blink if it rejects the code.

Try the 0614 code if 0616 doesnt work

there are 4 programablie buttons(read the instructions) You can use these to learn commands from your existing replayTV remote. I put mine as Rewind, Pause, Instant Replay, and Advance 30 seconds. Its niffty because rewinding with instant replay(6-7 seconds at a time) can be a bear. I just rewind and hit pause to stop the rewinding.

in short to do this:

PRESS 's' button till it double blinks

TYPE 975

PRESS vcr button

PRESS one of the four buttons under the 'theator' button

PUT the two remotes head to head about an inch apart

PRESS the desired button on the original replaytv remote that you want transfered to the new remote untill the new remote blinks twice

PRESS the indented 's' button again for a few seconds until it blinks twice again to finish.

you can download the manual in pdf if you dont already have it.

type '15-2104 manual' in google

hope this helps

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would point out that if your 2104 loses its memory after you sell your old remote, you might be out a button or two. On the other hand, if you save the settings with JP1, you can simply upload them back into the remote in the time it takes you to take off the battery cover.

The "hardest" part about JP1 is cutting a 6 pin connector. If you buy a cable, you don't even have to deal with that. Between the JP1 community and a little intuitive testing, I was able to get all sorts of remote buttons that I didn't have with my original remotes and went on to get one of these 2104's for my folks who had their old receiver remote die on them.

BTW: I always got the impression that some of the JP1-o-philes were a tad bit overbearing, but it really is cool to have a remote setup to your preferences, controlling your equipment as if it were the original remote or better. I wasn't able to convince my wife to use another remote that I'd mentioned here, but she's moving toward the 2116 I got (prior to the 2104 sale) now that she realizes she can set the inputs on the tv and receiver with a simple button press. Now it looks like I'm rambling :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Ok, sounds cool. Now, can the 4 "Smart" buttons be programmed independently for each device or do you just get 4 functions total?

For example, can they have different functions for my receiver than they do for my Replay?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Ok, sounds cool. Now, can the 4 "Smart" buttons be programmed independently for each device or do you just get 4 functions total?

For example, can they have different functions for my receiver than they do for my Replay?
You get 4 per a device. So thats a good thing. Think I'll put my return to live, zones, bypass, and sleep on aux.

I just got the remote yesterday after reading other posts and wanted to spell it out from the top for people. The other thread was evolutionary in nature and less straightforward.

I'd like to make a correction to my original post. You CANT assign any ReplayTV button to ANY button on the 15-2104 without the JP1 stuff which requires the cable.

I'd like to point out all the cons of this remote as figure them out as wel. I've found the that direction buttons are a bit sluggish when used in the Replay Guide menu. Its a bit annoying, however, the page up and page down keys(channel up/channel down) are just 3 buttons below the direction keys so it's not a big shift of the hand to use those constantly. I think I like the arrangment better then the standard remote. I wont know till I use it for a month or so.

This remote has 'non-violite' memory. This makes it much less likely that you will lose any keys you have programed. If your batteries die it isn't supposed to affect the settings at all. The biggest risk is You inadvertently reprograming the programmable buttons yourself and writing over the learned ReplayTV buttons. It is possible that the learnable keys are an exception to 'non-volitile memory' addressing, but I don't have any knowledge that that is the case.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Addendum: You can also program to the Movie, Music, Sport and News buttons so you could have 8 buttons that aren't otherwise on the regular remote layout. I think those should be learn-able, but I know that they are JP1-able.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Let me clear up a few misconceptions. First off, you are not limited to just learning to the four smart keys, you can learn to most of the keys.

Also, if you use the VCR/0616 code rather than the VCR/0614 code you can use advanced codes to fill in the blanks, which means you can program Instant Replay, Quick Skip, etc even if you don't have a Replay remote to learn from.

More info on my site.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.