AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just in Costco last night and saw the Toshiba e740 for $299!

I've had my e740 for almost a year now and I love it (although I paid almost 2X as much for mine. :mad:)

The thing(s) that make it a perfect PPC for NetRemote are...

1) Built-in WiFi - no additional CF card/expense required

2) Excellent screen (much better than my Maestro & slightly better (IMO) than Axim screens

3) Comes with docking/charging cradle

4) Thin/comfortable in your hand

·
Registered
60 Posts
$299 is a great deal for the e740 if it has built-in WiFi. In the past, Costco has sold a version of the e740 that did not have the built-in Wifi. I believe this model is called the e740 NW. Actually, even if it didn't have built-in WiFi, I suppose you could supplement the purchase was a Compact Flash WiFi card - still a pretty decent deal.

I have the e740 and haven't been thrilled with it. Everytime I've dropped it, all my data has been lost (except whats stored on the external CF card). Be sure to make constant backups.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DOH! I wondered what that "NW" meant...

mngtcon- Nice to know I'm not the only one w/that problem... even if it just slips out of my hand and falls 6" to the desktop, it *still* loses everything! I've gotten to where I keep EVERYTHING on CF and SD (including a bunch of .REG files to quickly restore all SW regcodes, etc.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Also, Toshiba just released the e750 that fixes some quirks/bugs in the 740 (including the loose battery issue that causes the random hard resets). It has an additional 32 MB of a type of NV ram that can keep its contents when it loses power (or during hard resets), a larger and much brighter screen and is faster than the 740 while using less batter power. Of course the 740 can be had for a really good price because of this but since you know there is something better out there I would guess every bug would be 10 times more difficult to live with.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
I see some accessories for AXIUM but not the PDA

I did see AudioVox Maestro 32MB PocketPC $150 at CompUSA.com

($200 - $50 rebate).

Edit.

I caught this on Ben's Bargains...

Dell Axim X5 300MHz 32MB PocketPC $149 at CompGeeks.com

They're starting to hit the refurb market. CompGeeks has the refurbished Axim X5 300MHz 32MB PocketPC for $149 + shipping. The Axim 400MHz 64MB version is priced at $200. [Review]

·
Registered
846 Posts
Thanks, jkaiser. Ben's Bargains brought up this link for the cheap Axim at Compgeeks. I guess Compgeeks doesn't find it from their search function ("Dell" or "Axim") because, as the page says, "This Product is Currently Unavailable."

But what I really want is a PDA-phone-browser-WiFi-IR-Email-Voice Recorder, anyway, so it's just as well that this deal is out of stock. (Do these grapes sound sour enough?)

-yogaman

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Main issue here to remeber is that these are REFURBISHED. Not that it is necessarily bad, but it should have been more visible! (not by you, but on CompuGeeks).

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you're looking at an axim, dell has a deal on them at their store, where you can get the 300 for 220 some and add the cf 802.11b for 60 or so. it all shook out to 280 for me. And its new, as far as i can see

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.