AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was on Gamestop.com and on the front page it says "reserve and get the demo". If you reserve in store starting 1/5/09, you get the code instantly and if you reserve online you will get the code sometime in early Feb. My local GS isn't opened yet. Anyone got thier code yet or know anything further?

·
Registered
355 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by entermymatrix03 /forum/post/15462251

I was on Gamestop.com and on the front page it says "reserve and get the demo". If you reserve in store starting 1/5/09, you get the code instantly and if you reserve online you will get the code sometime in early Feb. My local GS isn't opened yet. Anyone got thier code yet or know anything further?

I know of friends that have received their codes from GS already but my local store currently didn't get them yet.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just called my local store and they said that they haven't received the codes yet, but if you go ahead and reserve the game you will be guaranteed the code and they will either call you and you can come grab the paper or they will email the code to you.

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
I don't think you'll get to play the demo as soon as you get your code.

Demo's usually go live 3 weeks before the actual game hits the shelves.

·
Banned
2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingShorty /forum/post/15465112

I don't think you'll get to play the demo as soon as you get your code.

Demo's usually go live 3 weeks before the actual game hits the shelves.

There is no rhyme or reason as to when a demo goes live. It'd be nice if there were, but there isn't. Some go live before the game comes out, many go live well after a game has come out.

Gamestop has said online codes will go out on the 3rd, which would lead me to believe the KZ2 demo will go live on the 5th (a PSN Thursday). Three weeks ahead of release, yes, but not by any stretch of some sort of industry standard.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Am I not thinking of something here or does that completely defeat the purpose of a demo? I was under the impression demos were meant to give people an idea of what the game would be like leading them to want to buy the game. Why make early access to the demo exclusive to people who have already committed to purchasing it?

·
Registered
803 Posts
This code just lets you get into the demo a few days before the rest of us, right? Seems kinda dumb to reserve a demo for just the guys who have already committed to buying the game, they are supposed to convice the skeptics :p

·
Registered
4,380 Posts
Totally agree with you pvtchurch.

I tend to think that demos kill more potential sales than they generate. At least for me. Personally, I can't remember any demos that have sold me on a game (maybe Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank) but I can remember plenty of demos that made me say no when I otherwise would have said yes.

At any rate, giving the demo to people who preorder makes zero sense to me. What is the potential benefit? To make them even happier that they pre-ordered? So what? The potential downside? Make them cancel or switch their pre-order to another game because it's not what they thought = lost sale. Seems to me that the cons outweigh the benefits here. On the other hand, I personally will not be pre-ordering because I'm not sure on the game yet. If I were offered a demo, I think I may be swayed (a rare thing - as I mentioned, I'm usually turned off instead of sold by demos).

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I think it's stupid, and I can wait a few days or whatever for the demo. I'm already pretty certain I'm getting the game. I'm going to preorder through Amazon and make a sexy skirt-wearing Helghast in Home.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
 http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2009/01/05/...after-game-re/

Funny, they say the same thing here about giving people who already want the game a demo.

Derf.

Quote:
The only way you'll be able to play Killzone 2 before the game's release will be through GameStop's exclusive pre-order campaign. No other demo for Killzone 2 will be released before the game's street date. Those that don't want to pre-order from GameStop will have to wait until after the game's release, as we've discovered from SCEA. "The demo will be available on the PSN after the game ships but only through GameStop until then."

Seems a bit strange to reward people already ready to purchase the game with a demo, while excluding those that are on the fence. Having played the game, we can confidentally say that playing even just one level of Killzone 2 will make you a convert.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm on the fence about KZ 2, since I only play FPS's for the single player campaign. I have to be convinced the campaign is impressive and also that it is a decent length.

The game which for me sets the standard as far as an acceptable length for a single player campaign (in a shooter/action game) is Resident Evil: 4. With RE4 I never got the feeling that I was going through 'filler material', but at the same time I never felt like the game came to an end too quickly, as I felt has been the case with many games this generation (notably with Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, and also with Gears of War and Halo 3).

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've pre-ordered to get the code and then will cancel and get it from over here. Still no release date for EU though.

Played the Beta so know what online is like already. Hope its campaign for the demo.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
what i heard is that we get it February 25th.

whatever the reason may be. i will get it anyway. even if i have to get it from the other side of the globe

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
There could be a demo for Europe on the PSN sometime before release so maybe everyone will get a chance to try it without having to pre-order.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ki...sn-pre-release

Quote:
Sony has told Eurogamer that it will release a European demo of Killzone 2 through PlayStation Network, but cannot confirm exactly when, or what will be included in the demo.

However, a source close to the publisher told us that if it clears QA in time, the demo will almost certainly be released in Europe before the game.

That's in contrast to the US, where the demo is subject to an exclusivity agreement that means consumers will only be able to get hold of it before release by pre-ordering from GameStop.

A spokesperson for Sony America confirmed that to PS3Fanboy overnight, adding that the demo will appear on PSN there after launch.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/15472593

This reaks of crappy movies that don't have pre-release screenings for reviewers...

No, it doesn't.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ_Rage /forum/post/15466075

At any rate, giving the demo to people who preorder makes zero sense to me. What is the potential benefit?

It's to increase pre-orders of the game. There are some reasons that is beneficial, assuming it works.

If they are confident enough in their game, they are not too worried about the demo turning off people that are interested enough to pre-order, which is probably a good sign.

·
Registered
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IeraseU /forum/post/15467356

The game which for me sets the standard as far as an acceptable length for a single player campaign (in a shooter/action game) is Resident Evil: 4. With RE4 I never got the feeling that I was going through 'filler material', but at the same time I never felt like the game came to an end too quickly, as I felt has been the case with many games this generation (notably with Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, and also with Gears of War and Halo 3).

I am not sure it is fair to call RE4 "acceptable" length -- IMHO it set the gold standard, at least for that type of game. I kept waiting for the game to end and it just kept throwing out more and more, and as you say it wasn't filler, or reused, or recycled at all. So I think "acceptable" is a bit unreasonable. I would be shocked if Killzone 2 has as much length as RE4, but it doesn't have to to be an "acceptably" long single-player campaign.

That said if it has a COD4-length single player then it will be very disappointing, no matter how good the multiplayer is.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts