AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just started looking at setting up a HT in a new townhouse (7.1), and started shopping for new speakers. I currently have a Cerwin Vega 5.1 system that I like, but the fronts are the 15s that are huge, and I want to get a speaker system that kinda hides away but sounds awesome.

I initially figured I would go with Bose, 2 of my friends have them (one of which is really anal about shopping for stuff, spends months/years "thinking" about buying crap before doing it).

Well, to the point, when you go to the Bose web site, and choose the Accoustimass 16 system, THERE ARE NO REVIEWS listed!!!! Other BOse products (no speakers) have links on the pages for reviews, like there CD players, etc.!! But for the home theater speaker packages, they do not have a link for REVIEWS. IT IS FUNNY.

ANyway got suggestions on small but great speakers, price no object?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Khoa Tran, i am sorry, you are right.

i would say a budget around $2000-$4000, for a 19 foot long, 13 feet wide room. I am thinking it would best to have smaller speakers (like bose) that blend into the white walls, etc. Building the room from scratch.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This is largely because Bose infrequently updates its speakers. Contrary to the technologically oriented image that they try to project, their approach is generally low tech parts coupled with a little bit of gimmickry and a lot of marketing.

I don't it really says anything that they don't post any reviews. Most of the American audio magazines are advertising driven and as such rarely if ever pitch negative reviews. Bose has been reviewed by Sound & Vision, but higher end magazines like Stereophile and The Absolute Sound won't touch Bose because their readers are not Bose's target audience.

Also, keep in mind that the AM 16 is a relatively new model (well, it's actually the AM 15 with an extra cube).

The thing about going with the small diminutive cube speakers like the Bose Acoustimass systems is that the satellite units cannot come anywhere near reproducing a reasonably full frequency range. This will leave you with a frequency gap in the lower midrange and upper bass frequencies. Most speaker packages that use these small satellites try to mask this shortcoming by boosting the midbass with the bass module. While most sub/sat systems do this, the Bose is more prone to this problem than other brands because it uses one-way satellite units, which means that the entire frequency range from the highs down to the lower end of the midrange is reproduced by a 2.5" paper driver. Most other speaker manufacturers use two-way satellite units that can extend further into the highs and lows.

Alternatives to Bose include Energy, Klipsch, Boston, and Paradigm. All of them offer speaker packages in the $1,000 range that will easily outperform the AM16.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hokey_days
Khoa Tran, i am sorry, you are right.

i would say a budget around $2000-$4000, for a 19 foot long, 13 feet wide room. I am thinking it would best to have smaller speakers (like bose) that blend into the white walls, etc. Building the room from scratch.
Just saw your response! Anyway, with your budget, you might want to consider either in-wall or on-wall speakers if decor-friendliness is a priority. B&W and Paradigm both make several alternatives that can fit in with a variety of room arrangements and decor.

Most people on this board with that kind of a budget would probably opt for standmounted monitor speakers (or at least floorstanders up front), because it gives you great sound for the money and you can integrate those with a true subwoofer. A standmounted speaker is generally larger than the Bose cube units, but it delivers much better performance. You want as full a range speaker as you can accommodate, and leave only the lowest frequencies to the subwoofer.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Size matters in speakers, its important. Be innovative about the size compromise if you want good sound. If you get a small speaker, dont go "real small", just go small. Another option is long and thin, too bad these Role Audio's dont generally come in white...

http://www.roleaudio.com/

Ive heard the model called the Windjammer, and it was truely amazing, keeping up with much pricier speakers in most areas. Even these fine speakers are a compromise, i remember one piano section was a bit subdued due to some size/tradeoff they made.

They did some things better than my (larger) speakers though, so the tradeoff went both ways!

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Since you are building the room from scratch and image is important, consider checking out some quality in-wall brands.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Y'know it's funny. My father in law was just over the other night. He's got a RPTV with Bose surround setup. It works out ok.

We watched the Core on my nearly 9 foot wide FP. My sound system features large mains with horns and 15" woofers. Klipsch for the surrounds. As large as the mains are, I save some space by not needing any subwoofers.

My father in law was blown away. I've already been up at his house planning the wire runs for the FP, and he started asking me questions about speakers.

Basically, big speakers make big sound. While there have been great advances in the sound of smaller speakers in the last couple decades, it's still impossible to get the big sound from small speakers.

That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah,

bik speakers=big sound

little speakers=little sound, and sometimes crappy sound

so maybe, as somone pointed out, it might be best to go with the happy medium

medium speakers=medium sound.

my room is not huge (18 X 13), but no small either, so..

medium room=medium speakers=medium sound.

that is what i will start looking at, anyhows.........

thx.

·
Registered
859 Posts
18x 13... if you really want to do a setup wit that room, you can get away with using 'small floorstanders' or even BIG floowstanders.

with satellite speakers, you really are pushing it with that big of a room. atleast go with bookshelves and proper center channels.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GreatBop, yeah, that is what i am thinking now.

i think i will look for some slim, floorstanding speakers.

·
Registered
198 Posts
hokey, now that u r considering non cube speakers... and u seem to want a big sound, i have to suggest u look at the onix ref1's. they r a monitor speaker that produces big sound. very clear and very detailed. also the aci saphires r supposed to sound very similar (i have not heard the aci's).

also, u said that your budget was bet/ 2 and 4k. is that just for speakers, or for everything. the onix ref1 package is 3k so if your budget is supposed to include everything, then i would suggest u take a look at either rockets or axioms.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Woochifer
Most of the American audio magazines are advertising driven...
Duh.

Do you really think that your subscription really pays for the cost of producing a magazine? You have two choices:

1) Buy a magazine that is driven by advertising.

2) Pay $25 an issue.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
Hey Milkman, I tried too get to my sub thread, but David closed it. Was it a zobie (BYU) question to you?

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
Sorta yeah.

I mean "big" could be big soundstage, punchy, loud, bright, it can be a lot of things, and it can also be a lot of very un-natural things. It's just a silly way to classify sound, especially with regards to speaker "size."

·
Registered
645 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I am not boosting Bose and am far from installing any in my own or anyone else's system especially not in a dedicated room.

But I've been to a record store yesterday and by chance they had a Bose system playing. Actually two of them. It was the older model with double black cube speakers, not the really tiny white ones. They were driven by a Crown amp it seemed (couldn't go behind the desk to check for sure) and a Pio or Sony Cd player. The room was huge. At least 40'wX60'lX15'h with concrete ceiling and walls and industrial heavy duty carpet on the floor. Loft style. They used two Bose subs in opposite corners.

In a word, the sound was not too bad at all. They played some instrumental jazz, a little pop voice and some stylish lounge music while I was there. Not to much echo, not screaming, full sounding and quite pleasant. I didn't notice any holes and the room was huge. I'd rather say the frequency range wasn't the most even with a pronounced mid-bass and a not well defined low bass. But then again we are talking about a difficult factory size room and tiny speakers for maybe $1500.

The most striking quality was that it sounded the same really everywhere in the room. That's what they advertise and it works. Sure, there was no soundstaging but for background music in a cafe or shop this would be ideal. Even in an area where you are receiving guests or have parties like a big living room or a basement it would be fine because of the regular sonorisation (is that a word?). Now, in a smaller room like the one the threadstarter mentioned and for what he wants to do I wouldn't go with Bose, either. If you want imaging and even frequency with good bass don't get Bose. If you want background music evenly distributed with no peaks or dead zones and an inobtrusive look Bose might just be what you need.

Till

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.