AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I happened upon this fine message board when digging for HDTV info. Lots of great posts here! Anyway--I'm sorry if this has been asked before (but my forum search turned up nothing)...but what's the verdict on the Toshiba 34HF83?

My big deal is I want 720p, DVI, and 16:9 widescreen. But I don't really feel like blowing $3k on a DLP setup (as I need to also upgrade my sound system and DVD player!). Originally I thought about a 30 incher...but that's kind of small for a widescreen...so 34 it is.

So--it seemed that only the Sony kv-34xbr910 was a half decent 34 inch tube that had 720p support (converting it to 1080i) and DVI.

But--I stumbled across the Toshiba 34HF83...the price is way cheaper than the XBR, and it seems to have all the same features. Including 720p support if I read the specs right.

Does anyone know anything about this set? How are Toshiba HDTVs in general? I know they make some killer laptops, but I don't have much experience with their HDTVs...(or HDTVs in general!)

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Toshiba is a good choice, I've always had good performance and reliability with them. The Sonys are more expensive and do have a new model 34XBR910 had a much finer-dot-pitch (higher resolution) than any other CRT HD set now though - but you do have to pay extra for it.

·
Registered
378 Posts
So--it seemed that only the Sony kv-34xbr910 was a half decent 34 inch tube that had 720p support (converting it to 1080i) and DVI.

The sony will rape the Toshiba in every thing so it looks like you need to read more before you say it has a hald decent tube.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Quote:
The sony will rape the Toshiba in every thing so it looks like you need to read more before you say it has a hald decent tube.
I'm getting the Toshiba 30"er myself, from what I've seen of it, its a great unit. Some very well trained eyes that I trust very much recommend it. I've seen the *hf83s and the *xbr910s, and I think both lines are better than "hald decent tubes." (I'm new here, and going to get off on a bad start. If you're going to slam someone, at least try to spell your unfounded criticisms correctly.)

But, I'm fairly certain the the Toshes don't do native 720p. Toshiba.com says "720p input capabilities", which I take to mean conversion to 1080i.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok that 720->1080i is the same conversion proces that the Sonys do right?

What's up with that anyway? Does it look good? And if I wanted true 720p I'd probably have to get a rear projection or a much more expensive display, right?

By Half Decent I really meant decent, BTW. Don't take it literally :)

·
Banned
3,539 Posts
Even rear projections don't do native 720p, only multi-sync monitors do that. Regular consumer HDTVs do 1080i native and convert 720p, actually with external HD STBs the STB will do that conversion instead of the TV. Native 720p is only in displays like DLPs and they convert 1080i to 720p instead. Others like plasma displays have their own native resolution like 1366x768 that all formats are converted to.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Cyber,

If this is your main HT display and want a better theater experience I would suggest a bigger screen unless your viewing particularly close. But bigger is better for a more theater like experience. 51" RPTV's are the same price as a 34" tube. MNF on ABC-HD looked excellent last night on my Sony RPTV.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah my place is kind of small, so 34 inch might work out ok. Although I plan on moving soon--but I don't think the new place will be much bigger. :)

I have been investigating that 43 inch DLP set from Samsung, I think. I hate all RPTVs that I've seen--horrible viewing angles and stuff. But DLP seems like I could go for that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Currently, there are no direct view CRTs that will display 720p natively. Both the Sony and the Tosh will upconvert to 1080i.

The Sony 910 will produce a better HD picture than the Tosh due to its new screen. A more appropriate comparison would be the Tosh 34 against Sony's KV-34HS510. Both have similar spec, and IMHO, produce great images. The Toshiba is generally $200 cheaper, and is my pic due to this and better (IMHO) zoom modes.

Sony's cutting-edge TVs, such as the 910, cannot be matched. Their "lesser" models, in my opinion, are not better than Toshiba's, who makes an excellent product.

The 910 will run you about $500 more than the KV-34HS510. Many people are unhappy with its SD picture quality, as its screen tends to emphasize a bad signal. The HF83 or KV-34HS510 would probably better (and cheaper) choices if you dont tend to display a lot of quality digital content

·
Registered
172 Posts
Well, I just purchased the 34hf83, so hopefully the verdict is a good one. One thing I've learned is that these are some seriously hard to find TV's. Most places around me have pre-paid waiting lists at least 4 people deep, and they are only expecting to get 5-8 sets over the next 2 months...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Its been awhile since I've frequented the forums, but just thought I'd add a comment here.

I've owned a 30" Unity Motion HDTV monitor for the last 4 years - it does all formats natively - 720p, 1080i, 480p, etc...

Last I heard, Princeton was making the same identical set, so that may be worth looking into if you are willing to put up with the fact that the monitor itself doesn't have a tuner (not a big deal to me).

I can't post a link due to the anti-spamming rules, but checkout princeton graphics website, and the "arcadia" series.

It looks beautiful with 480p dvd, and within a week I'll be using it for HDTV.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.