AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is off topic, but it is construction related for the rest of my non-HT basement refinish.

How do you install a ceiling fan with a drop ceiling? I would assume you use the standard CF box up in the rafters and bring the downrod through a hole in the ceiling tile. But how do you finish off the transition to cover the rod and hole. Any vibration of the fan would shake the tile if they were attached.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
VERY CAREFULLY;) Sorry, couldn't resist.

Your description of the solution is basically correct. Also the problem.

a. Make sure the box in the rafters is as low as possible and rigid enough to hold up the whole house.

b. Keep the down rod as short as possible and rig it with guide wires like a transmitter antenna from a point just above the drop ceiling out to the other joists. Keep the angle at 45 degrees or less. You can connect them to the pipe with a simple pipe ground clamp.

c. Make the hole in the suspended ceiling big enough to allow 1/4" space all around the drop rod.

d. Go ahead and use a trim ring but get one that works on friction to the down rod so you can leave 1/8" to 1/16" gap between it and tiles.

This will create a hole for sound to escape but you can insulate above the ceiling to stop some of it anyway.

Hope this helps. I have done this several times for friends but never in a theater so didn't have to consider the noise leakage problem. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bpape,

Thanks for the info....The fans won't actually be in the HT area, just outside of it in the bar/entertainment area. So sound won't be a problem.

Thanks for the good advice

Robert

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.