AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you have young kids like me and have an XBOX One, I'm sure you have been excited about the Kinect Sports Rivals coming out for XBOX One.

now Forbes hasn't exactly been the bastion of Gaming News but still a nice preview nonethelesss; with vids too!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andyrobertson/2014/03/17/kinect-sports-rivals-xbox-one/

I'm pretty sure my girls, their cousins and their friends will have some fun with the game.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
looking forward to my 1 and 3 year old getting the hang of it all. The vids look good and hopefully it will be something that they enjoy doing too.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong  /t/1523268/kinect-sports-rivals-for-xbox-one#post_24508810

looking forward to my 1 and 3 year old getting the hang of it all. The vids look good and hopefully it will be something that they enjoy doing too.

what would be awesome is if Double Fine ported their Kinect Party and Happy Action Theater Kinect title to the Xbox One. The augmented reality was great but was limited by the VGA low-res camera. It would look sick in 1080p with the quality of the new Kinect. Plus, those titles can easily be played by even babies and require zero handholding by the parents. My nieces just got to flail and have fun. A lot of the Kinect games for the 360 required too much dexterity and spatial reasoning for the young kids. All the kids kept wanting to go to the TV and touch things!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
I really want to play the rock climbing!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I really want these games to be good. But honestly, the wave racing is okay, bowling looks good, rock climbing has a chance and the rest look like crap.

What I'd really like to see is complete kinect only baseball and golf games. Make some peripherals that are tracked by kinect and make it kinect only. I think baseball could be great multiplayer fun with a pitcher and catcher as well as hitting of course. And golf is pretty self explanitory.

·
UHD Addict
38,954 Posts
Bowling and Tennis are the two I'm really looking forward too since it's fun when my GF plays.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Bowling , Tennis and Rock Climbing all look fun to me and that would be enough to justify the purchase.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Microsoft is starting off launch of KSR with a global competition with real prize money!

I think everyone has a real shot at winning in KSR as it's less about twitch speed (remember all the running and jumping in KS1/2?) and more about finer control. Heck, just the chance to go to Comic-Con makes it worth it (nothing beats San Diego Comic-Con):

http://news.xbox.com/2014/03/games-kinect-sports-rivals-world-championship

Today, Xbox announced the kick-off of the “Kinect Sports Rivals World Championship,” the first ever global motion-sports competition. The “Kinect Sports Rivals World Championship” will challenge players from around the world who have honed their “Kinect Sports Rivals” gameplay skills and award thegrand prize winner with $10,000 in cash and a trip of a lifetime for two to one of four amazing destinations. The grand prize winner will choose one (1) trip, from one of the following vacation packages: a water sports adventure in Bora Bora, walking the Great Wall of China, trekking to Machu Picchu or skiing the Swiss Alps.

Additional prizes include:

2nd Place: USD $5,000

3rd Place: USD $2,500

4th Place: USD $1,000

5th – 11th Place: USD $500 each

The “Kinect Sports Rivals World Championship” will begin online on April 8 in the U.S., Canada, Mexico, Australia, and Brazil, and on April 11 in the U.K., France and Germany as competitors go head-to-head in the semi-final round of the global competition online. It will culminate with a live, in-person final championship this July at the San Diego Comic-Con, where top finalists from each participating country will battle for their country’s glory and the grand prize.

Starting today*, players who want to enter the world’s largest motion-gaming competition can register here for the “Kinect Sports Rivals World Championship.” Pre-orders of “Kinect Sports Rivals” are still available, so if aspiring Champions haven’t secured a copy of the game just yet, they should do so now! Additional details, including rules and restrictions, about the “Kinect Sports Rivals World Championship” can be found on Xbox.com.

Fans who want to start training to become the global Champion can join in the battle for leaderboard supremacy right now in “Kinect Sports Rivals” Preseason. “Kinect Sports Rivals” launches for Xbox One on April 8, 2014, in North America, Latin America, Australia and New Zealand, and on April 11, 2014, in Europe. Remember, it is you vs. the world!

*Registration for Brazil will begin on Friday, March 28

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hell yeah, I'm going to try for it! Why not?

Reactions: onlysublime

·
Registered
7,412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeloxlong  /t/1523268/kinect-sports-rivals-for-xbox-one#post_24527125

hell yeah, I'm going to try for it! Why not?

I'm hoping KSR has true online multiplayer which was a staple of KS1 and KS2. I was quite good at paddle tennis, volleyball, and bowling. Pretty good at skiing and golf too.

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
The reviews so far seem to be mixed, but I'm in particular having trouble reconciling the Polygon and Verge reviews (which of course, are owned by the same company, but they do have separate reviewers) with my own experiences.

In both, they're claiming jet skiing to be sort of wonky, but I've played a ton of the jet skiing demo and it worked flawlessly every time (and this is not at all in an ideal room for the Kinect).

I'll be getting it anyway just to have at least one good 'party' type game for the One, but not really sure about the reviews.

·
UHD Addict
38,954 Posts
Yes the jet skiing Demo worked very well for me too. Kinect was very accurate in tracking me.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Man, what the heck is up with Redbox. When are they going to start renting next-gen games ? I'd love to rent this game and try out the different sports. As for buying it, I'll be waiting a long time for the bargain bins on this one I think, unless I get a chance to try it somewhere and it blows me away. I wasn't very impressed with the Jet Ski demo. It was "decent", but nothing to get excited about (imo)

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
I impulsively bought the game at full price without first checking out the reviews. They are indeed a mixed bag. Some reviewers had a lot of trouble with the controls, some not so much. The IGN reviewer gave it a 7.3 out of 10 and was largely positive about the experience, with the exception of the soccer game, which all the reviewers seem to rag on. The GameSpot reviewer gave it a 5 out of 10 and Joystiq gave it a 2 out of 5.

Oh well; too late to back out now
. I'll try it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts