AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This isn't HTPC related per-se, but I bought two of these based on recommendations I received in here (going into a Centurion 590 case):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817990004

I kinda/sorta like 'em, except for the rather bizarre molex-to-SATA adapter requirement for the drive status lights.

Now, though, Newegg is showing this as a deactivated item. Is there something terribly wrong with these things (like drive overheating) or is Kingwin just coming out with a new part (hopefully to remove the adapter requirement)? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I have one of those and I wouldn't recommend it. The connectors in the back for the SATA are flimsy and even if you use the cables with the lock on them, they don't lock onto the connectors on the back of the cage. If you are looking for something like that I'd go with the Icy Dock one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817994027

I have the 5 in 3 one of those and it's great but I need to get the 4 in 3 so I can use it in my case that has the support tabs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But the Icy Dock cages aren't trayless. This is (or was) a huge plus in Kingwin's favor.

Yeah, the back connectors aren't the best on the Kingwin, but once the cable is firmly attached, they seem to stay put.

My dream cage would be a trayless 5-in-3 "universal" housing with >only

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Mos /forum/post/15552734

There's another one that I believe is identical to the one you want....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817707117

The StarTech does, indeed, look identical to the Kingwin. And I mean an exact duplicate (although the y-split molex-to-SATA adapters are a bit different). They must be buying the same part from a source manufacturer and doing their own branding.

I wonder if this item is going to get deactivated soon, too. I need to write to Newegg to see what's going on. This has me extremely concerned. It's one thing to classify something as OOS, but deactivated? That seems pretty serious.

No, I want one that gets rid of EVERY connector in the back, apart from the bare necessities (one power & data per drive). In my dream cage, the internals of the enclosure would do all the power splitting for status lights and fans, completely hidden from the end user. Even better would be a cage that employed some sort of port multiplication so that only one data cable would be required (I really hate cable clutter).

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle /forum/post/15552979

I've got 4 Supermicro 5 in 3's in my server. They each use 2 molex's for power and are very well made.

I don't quite get this one. You mean power for all five drives AND the fan is delivered via just two molexes? If so, that's pretty friggin' awesome. However, the status lights can only be used with a card that has the required activity leads, right?

Unfortunately, it isn't trayless. You have to fiddle around with a caddy-looking thing.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle /forum/post/15552979

I've got 4 Supermicro 5 in 3's in my server. They each use 2 molex's for power and are very well made.

That also doesn't have slots on the sides to allow it to go into a case with the drive support tabs.

I have IstarUSA tray models. 2 power connectors and 4 SATA per module but they are more expensive. they seem to be very nice units though and I'm happy with them. Once you start spending this much money you might as well get into a Norco RPC-4020 case with this all built-in. I had already started buying parts before I saw that case and I really can't see myself going above 8 drives anyways so I'll be OK with what I have.

I have these;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816701005

There are also these which look the same except for the lock and handle on the tray and they are cheaper;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817121913

Look at the back pic you can see they have 2xmolex and 2xSATA power and 4xSATA data.

Peter

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I keep vacillating between expanding the Centurion 590 (hey, it was cheap for $50 w/FREE shipping) and actually getting the 4020. However, the 4020 looks MASSIVE and I'm trying to shrink my existing computer "footprint" (while increasing storage capacity - I know, I know - I'm trying to have my cake and eat it, too). You also ideally need a cabinet for the 4020 and, from what I've seen, there's none worth having for less than around $700 (not if you want all the fixin's).

I also really don't understand the 4020. Does it use some sort of port multiplication or is it just a point-to-point enclosure? What does that backplane do, exactly? Initially, I'd just want to throw in a motherboard and use the onboard ports, but can you do that with the 4020? Are the drives trayless or does it use trays (it looks like the latter)?

Regarding the IstarUSA units, they look solid, but still use trays.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbadger /forum/post/15554754

IStarUSA 5 in 3 Trayless

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16816215085

Your wish?

Y'know, that's not half bad. Just two molexes for all power requirements, no activity leads required for status lights (at least, none that I could see), trayless, 5-in-3. The only critique is that there are no side grooves, so it won't fit in cases with drive tabs.

Damn, I wish I had seen this before. I might just return the Kingwin and get this instead. Thanks for the pointer!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleggett /forum/post/15553614

I don't quite get this one. You mean power for all five drives AND the fan is delivered via just two molexes? If so, that's pretty friggin' awesome. However, the status lights can only be used with a card that has the required activity leads, right?

Unfortunately, it isn't trayless. You have to fiddle around with a caddy-looking thing.

Yes, 2 molex for all 5 drives + the fan. Leads are not required for status lights, they updated the firmware years ago to enable status lights off SATA but left the legacy leads on the board. (Your controller needs to support the data over SATA as well)

It's not trayless, but how often do you pull drives? -Hopefully, not very

Grooves are all dependent on your case. Very few cases outside the desktop market use drive rails and only a small percentage require them in the desktop market. I use the Coolermaster CM Stacker case.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by B Leisle /forum/post/15555853

Yes, 2 molex for all 5 drives + the fan. Leads are not required for status lights, they updated the firmware years ago to enable status lights off SATA but left the legacy leads on the board. (Your controller needs to support the data over SATA as well)

How many onboard SATA controllers have this data "line"? Are they mostly employed on card-based solutions, like the Supermicro AOC-SAT2-MV8 that's been getting a lot of play in here?

Quote:
It's not trayless, but how often do you pull drives? -Hopefully, not very

Hey, you'd be surprised. I was playing musical drives just a few days ago trying to diagnose why my SATA optical wasn't being seen as a boot device (in order to install the Win7 beta). I never did figure it out, so I just pulled everything out except the Raptor and that finally did the track. Having them be trayless was a definite time- and labor-saver.

Quote:
Grooves are all dependent on your case. Very few cases outside the desktop market use drive rails and only a small percentage require them in the desktop market. I use the Coolermaster CM Stacker case.

I agree, it wouldn't be a deal breaker (for me) if a cage didn't have grooves. That IStarUSA unit that fatbadger posted looks ilke a real winner. I'm going to see if I can't return the Kingwin in exchange for the BPN-350SAS-Black.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As a follow-up, I'm returning the second Kingwin and ordering the IStarUSA BPN-350SAS-Black unit. I hadn't yet broken the seal, so Newegg waived the restocking fee. If the IStar is as good as it looks, I might order another and replace the first Kingwin (that's currently installed).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts