AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to get a thread tips thread started for the Kirk models, as the other Kirk threads are getting too long to navigate.

Here are some tips for getting your SD to look better :

Set Sharpness in all modes to zero. You can raise it higher in HD but to get a smoother SD picture reduce it to zero.

Also if you are brave, it's a good idea to reduce all edge enhancement to zero. I am not going to state how because I don't want anybody messing their sets up and blaming me. Reducing enhancement, cuts down on the mosquito noise effect you see in SD. Also reduce contrast as low as possible without causing eyestrain. This can all be done after getting general settings from either a setup disc like Avia or DVE.

Right now I am working on settings that reduce rainbows and eyestrain. Seeing rainbows doesn't bother me much and I tend to think most people do see them on DLP but don't know how to explain them or are not sure what they saw. I would rather see a rainbow that lasts a millisecond than chromatic aberration that exists permanently on some sets. My main goal is to find settings that reduce eyestrain. This is eyestrain that comes after hours not minutes of viewing. I have to find a setting that is not too bright but not too dark. I find that it is a good idea to change from Standard when it is bright in the room to Cinema when it is dark.

I think that these are great sets and just need a little tweaking to look their best and be comfortable to view for hours on end.

Anybody else with tips/suggestions for the Kirk models ?

·
Registered
10 Posts
My understanding was that this TV required little in the way of tweaking. Is that true?

Also, have you noticed the audio delay discussed throughout this forum. It is my understanding that it is not an issue that can be tweaked on the tv - must be tweaked on the receiver (if possible).

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The few times I have heard anything out of sync I attributed it to my cable company and it's feed. It hasn't been a regular occurance.

No the Kirk doesn't need as many tweaks but I think there are always things you can do to improve the picture.

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'd also be interested in hearing about people's settings for the 5685/5085. I found a post recommending the following settings which seem to work fairly well on my HLP5085:

Cinema mode

Sharpness zero

Contrast 49

Brightness 52

Color 45

DNIe and DNR on

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mixdoctor
Also if you are brave, it's a good idea to reduce all edge enhancement to zero. I am not going to state how because I don't want anybody messing their sets up and blaming me.
Maybe I am missing something, but what is the point of a tweak thread if you say, I have a tweak to reduce edge enhancement but I am not going to tell you what it is :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jordan420
Maybe I am missing something, but what is the point of a tweak thread if you say, I have a tweak to reduce edge enhancement but I am not going to tell you what it is :confused:
I am not as technically minded as some other's here so the tweaks I performed in my own SM was through experimentation rather than absolute knowledge as to what each function in the SM does. I will share what I did but I don't want to be accused of having my setting messing up someone elses TV.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My settings are a little higher than most because my room is fairly bright :

Cinema Mode :

Contrast - 90

Brightness - 56

Sharpness - 0

Color - 35

DNIE and DNR on

Standard Mode:

Contrast - 80

Brightness - 55

Sharpness - 0

Color - 40

DNIE and DNR on

Color Temp - Warm 1

I use Standard Mode in the daytime when the blinds are open or when watching a dark show like CSI or Law and Order.

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Set the best I could manage using Video Essentials and other advice here (the standard contrast adjustment is useless, so tried equalizing the differences in grey level range test pattern).

Cinema: Used for evening viewing

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 40

Sharpness: 0

Color: 42

Standard: Used for dyalight viewing in a fairly bright room

Contrast: 60

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 30

Color: 60

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by nyjklein
Set the best I could manage using Video Essentials and other advice here (the standard contrast adjustment is useless, so tried equalizing the differences in grey level range test pattern).

Cinema: Used for evening viewing

Contrast: 50

Brightness: 40

Sharpness: 0

Color: 42

Standard: Used for dyalight viewing in a fairly bright room

Contrast: 60

Brightness: 50

Sharpness: 30

Color: 60
Do you see rainbows with those settings ? I find when my TV is dark I tend to see more rainbows.

·
Registered
179 Posts
My current settings:

(TV evening viewing - Component)

Contrast - 48

Brightness - 51

Sharpness - 30

Color - 48

DNIE on

DNR off

Color Temp - Standard

(DVD evening viewing - DVI)

Contrast - 50

Brightness - 45

Sharpness - 25

Color - 45

DNIE on

DNR off

Color Temp - Warm 1

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow, maybe my bulb is dimming, because I need a lot higher contrast and brightness settings to give me a picture that is bright enough to watch.

·
Registered
27 Posts
My understanding is that 'Contrast' is actually white level (what one would intuitively call 'brightness') and 'brightness' is actually black level. My viewing of changes to these settings supports that.

Anyway, the contrast settings in the posts above are WAY below what I have on mine. I have it up around 90 and brightness at about 50. I looks fine at 100 as well. As long as it isn't crushing (or blooming) the whites (which it isn't) the setting is not too high. That's only my opinion, of course.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by faston
My understanding is that 'Contrast' is actually white level (what one would intuitively call 'brightness') and 'brightness' is actually black level. My viewing of changes to these settings supports that.

Anyway, the contrast settings in the posts above are WAY below what I have on mine. I have it up around 90 and brightness at about 50. I looks fine at 100 as well. As long as it isn't crushing (or blooming) the whites (which it isn't) the setting is not too high. That's only my opinion, of course.
Yeah my settings are closer to yours. Color Temperature also makes a diffence. I generally keep my Standard mode on Warm 1 and my Cinema mode defaults to Warm 2, I think.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.