AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a stupid question. I just bought a Kirsch Ultrafine center opening traverse rod. I hung it on my wall. But there's tons of extra string in the loop for opening/closing the curtains, because this rod can expand to a much wider width.

What do I do with this extra string? Do I cut it and tie it? That doesn't seem right, as won't the knot have to move through the mechanism? Do I pull from one end, and tie it off? If so, where? Or do I cut from an end?

I'm sure the answer is obvious to anyone that's done this before, but the thing came with no directions!!

Thanks in advance!

Mike

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Pull one side of the cord to the stop. Then mark the other cord say 12" from the rod. Now pull the marked cord to the stop and mark the other cord 12" from the rod. Now you have a better idea of the possibilities. Do the marks travel into the rod at either extreme? No - Then you should be OK to cut. Yes - Then leave it alone. Or place a drum spool at the bottom of the loop to wind the excess on and feed it from.

Jim Mc

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'm going to be using a DrapeBoss to automatically open and close the curtains, so I wouldn't want the knot to pass through that either.

The rod, as installed, is about 10' wide, which means the cord will have to go 5'. So if I put the DrapeBoss 5' below the rod (which would be about 3" off my stage), I imagine I could make a knot that didn't go through the rod mechanism, or the DrapeBoss.

But is this really what people do? Cutting and tying a knot just didn't seem right...

Mike

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
The first thing you will need to do is make sure the rod will open and close to the proper locations. If adjustments are necessary, one of the center carriers allows for it to be moved on the cord.

The DrapeBoss requires that you cut the cord. The cord does not go through the DrapeBoss, rather a beaded chain does. This chain fastens to the two ends of the cut traverse rod cord. This procedure will get rid of the excess cord.

Be sure you run the traverse to each end and mark the cord so you don't cut one side too short. The DrapeBoss chain will not go through the rod, so there always has to be some cord hanging out of the rod.

Be careful with this procedure and think it through carefully. If it is confusing to you, get some help from someone who is mechanically inclinded to double check what you are doing. If you cut the cord wrong, you either have to restring it yourself or have a service person do it, neither is pleasant.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah, I guess I should have looked at the DrapeBoss! Thanks a lot Deane!

So it sounds like the chain will have to be about 5' long. And you say the chain can't go through the traverse rod? So I *will* have to mount the DrapeBoss 5' down, practically on the floor? Uh oh, doesn't sound like much margin for error... :(

Mike

·
Registered
719 Posts
OT

Mike: Did you purchase the Drape Boss recently, and if so, where?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, sorry, no, I bought it I think about 6 months ago, I think from something like "Pigs electronics". They were pretty hard to find at that point, they were already discontinued.

I'm assuming they can no longer be purchased.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.