AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The problem: The kitchen is next to the great room and those in the kitchen cant hear the TV unless its blasted in the great room.

Is there a cost effective way of providing audio to the kitchen with independent volume control?

One thought was just to use the "B" channel on the reciever, but how to get independent volume control?

Also we have a computer in the kitchen, if the cable box has digitial video out (DVI), can I run it 30" to the kitchen comp. Then use some type of switch to switch the video feed. Maybe the computer can handle the audio also.

Another thought, I already have the cable box output modulated to its own channel on our analog vid dist sys. But PC TV cards/software seems to be slow and cumbersome compared to just flipping a switch.

Thanks for any suggestions.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Don't have a lot of information to go on, but I'll throw out a couple of options:

Quickest and easiest would be to put a pair of wireless speakers in the kitchen. Most of these have volume controls on the speakers. You could connect the transmitter to an audio out jack on your TV or cable box. Speakers would just plug into an AC outlet.

Another option would be to use a wireless AV extender. The receiver side could connect to your PC, or a low end amp/receiver in the kitchen. I have had mixed success with this due to interference...

Depending on what wiring you have in place, you could use the B channel on your receiver (speaker out), and run the speaker cable to a wall mounted volume control, and connect your speakers to this as well. This would assume you had or could install in wall / ceiling speakers.

Let us know more about what wiring, etc you have in place and maybe we can give you more options.

Tom

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.