AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the HT is done, but now we are reno-ing the kitchen/powder room/den/dining room...

The kitchen simply must be wired for sound! MUST!

I am so far unimpressed with in wall/ceiling speakers. has anyone got any good ideas?

I expect 2 chanel will do, but if the system is 6.1, I will try to find spots for 6 speakers in the Kitchen.

needed advise on:

1) speaker types and number.

2) receiver types.

3) oh yes I will have a sub in the Kitchen too!

4) multi disc (150) cd player

Scott

·
Registered
568 Posts
High-quality in-walls are available, but they're not cheap. I have a set of Triad Silver surrounds, and they have others to use as L/C/R.

On the other hand, ask yourself if you're really going to listen critically in the kitchen. I'm fairly picky and I ended up with a $300 pair of SpeakerCrafts in my kitchen, wired with very thick zip cord and zone2 out of my regular pre/pro and a little stereo amp. It just wasn't worth putting another 5.1 system in the kitchen, especially since we only had a 12" TV in there.

I have a Sony CXP-350 jukebox for just such things. (I've also got a regular CDP for more critical listening.)

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BLW...

I understand the less critical nature of Kitchen sound, but I do like to rock the place if I am stuck chopping veggies all afternoon...

Can I get a good solid sound (fairly loud) with in-wall?

Also I have my processor in the basement HT, I do not have a tuner per se..its an old Nikko that does not have a remote...so going to the basement to change stations would become a pain...

with that said, I guess I will require a receiver anyway...why not wire 2 channels to the kitchen and 2 to the dining room...only problem is the kitchen would get the sub.

:)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by scott jensen
BLW...

I understand the less critical nature of Kitchen sound, but I do like to rock the place if I am stuck chopping veggies all afternoon...

Can I get a good solid sound (fairly loud) with in-wall?
inwalls + a sub would probably meet that criteria.

·
Registered
568 Posts
You can definitely get in-walls that will rock the place.

When I did this, I wired a Niles Audio remote IR sensor/flasher so that the remote will work in the kitchen. You can see the little sensor wire in the photo to the left of the range hood (it was just getting installed when I took this picture). We opted to use just the sensor head, so it was only about 3/4" in diameter.

That would be a good excuse to upgrade to a tuner with remote control

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well now I really have something to occupy my mind over the weekend!

1) In-wall, high quality like Triad...or in-ceiling.

2) 2 or 4 speakers if in wall

3) Separate sound system since I will want dining room wired as well...if i use the Lexicon's extra output...I can split the output with an A/B switch fro kitchen and dining room I guess.

here is a very detailed (no really) drawing of the room...note the odd shape.

the kitchen is at the back of the house, the HT with my Lex is at the front...60' and 1 floor away.

Comments?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
A sub in the kitchen to rock out when chopping veggies. How cool is that?:cool:

Where are you thinking of putting it?

·
Registered
568 Posts
You'll have a fun time with imaging in that room! (Plus all those reflective surfaces!)

I happen to like Triads, but there are a LOT of in-walls available now, with a lot more coming later this year. Seems that it's THE thing these days.

Zone2's are often (always?) stereo-only. I know the one in my SSP75 is stereo, and its predecessor B&K Ref20 was also. Offhand I can't think of a prepro that has multichannel zone2. Also, check on the zone2 capabilities of your prepro - I thought that the Ref20 was busted until I discovered that it only plays analog sources on zone2! (I think most will now play anything, but it's worth checking.)

I dunno how your kitchen works, but we find that the party always congregates in the kitchen, so being able to rock the kitchen is definitely a good thing!

·
Registered
617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the support guys...

The sub will be in a lower cabinet beside the fridge, firing outward toward the north (see pic).

I am not too concerned with imaging...hey the beer fridge is right there too...how am I going to stay put long enough to actually tell!

I am also wondering if the sub out of the zone2 is going to be available...I don't think so...thus separate receiver for the kitchen and use zone2 of that receiver for the dining room.

I will use zone2 of the basement HT Lexicon for the living room...if I ever get that reno started.

Scott

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.