AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to start remodeling my kitchen and I had a few questions about speakers. They will be used for background music while cooking, entertaining, etc... I'll be running them off a Sonos Connect Amp and I'd like to keep my budget under $300 if possible.

- Are there any major advantages to in-wall speakers over in-ceiling speakers besides sound bleed into the room above? I could install either with my new kitchen design but I think I'd prefer the look of in-ceiling.

- Would it be better to go with a lower end speaker with an 8" driver or a higher end speaker with a 6.5" driver?

Here are some of the speakers I'm looking at. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

8" Speakers

- Monoprice 8" angled

- Micca Reference R-8C

- Polk MC-80

6" Speakers

- Definitive Technology 63/A

- Boston Acoustics VSi 560

·
Registered
27 Posts
Here's the million dollar question what does your wife want?

I just redid my kitchen and I wish I would have wired for in ceiling/wall. It would have been an easier sell to HER. Hence I have yet to convince her of speakers all she wants me to get is bose because they are "small". She also knew about my plans but what she had in mind was different then what was reality.

I would have done in ceiling/wall and would have put rock wool around it to absorb sound.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I looked at the Emotiva's but they seem to be out of stock of the 8". They also look very similar to the Polks.

What are your thoughts on the PSB 170FR which are fire rated but also seem to have a built in enclosure? I can get a pretty decent deal on those but I worry that the range only goes down to 55Hz where the Def Techs or polks go down to about 30Hz.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts