AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to mount one on my kitchen wall, either 32" or 40". I will be hooking up a small Acer Revo computer and will be using Boxee and Sling player software to watch TV. I also will be using it for web access such as reading the news in the morning or recipes while cooking.

Not sure if I should go with one of the 2010 edge lit models or 2010 CCFL models. I know the blacks will be better on the LED but are the edge lit LEDs really worth the preimum, esp since I can get a CCFL with all the bells and whistles (samsung internet apps) for the same price as an edge lit with out them? Also are there more uniformity issues with the edge lit LEDs?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Most Edge Lite LED's if Not All with Have Glossy screens which would not be good for a brightly lit kitchen with overhead lights.

a CCFL version with have a matte screen and work well.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
I know the logic would say the LED would outperform the CCFL and I would've agreed until I observed the EX500 Sony two weeks in a row next to an EX700 LED Sony and it has been outperforming the LED Sony surprisingly and about a half a dozen members from across the country have witnessed the same thing.

I agree that in a kitchen your much more likely to have ambient and overhead light to reflect in a Quality Samsung LED whereas the Sony will prevent most of it and your likely to have more off angle viewing in the Kitchen if it's large and the LED's have more washout with off angles. Of course much of this depends on your budget but the CCFL EX500 has performed very well considering it's not the top of the line Sony.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
edge lit LED LCD's are mostly over rated and the only advantages they offer is slimmer design and less power consumption

the color gamut of white LED backlight is actually worse than the average CCFL backlight and only RGB LED can outperform CCFL in color range and well i don't think you want an XBR8 in your kitchen because that's the only RGB LED that i know of

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recommend a Panasonic or LG TV with an IPS panel for the kitchen, as it offers better viewing angles. LED doesn't offer better blacks, except if it has local dimming.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts