AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icor1031 /forum/post/19611926

What's the difference between these 2 sets, the HD 300 and the HD 500, that the 500 costs $200 more?

Is there a better quality set in the $400-$500 range?

only major differences are the hd 500 has a 8 inch subwoofer vs the hd 300's 6.5 inch subwoofer

the tweeters are a different material hd 300 is textile vs hd 500 aluminum dome

also the hd 500 goes 4hz lower than the hd 300

also take a look at this thread some way better offerings I love klipsch but these speakers are not worth there name imo

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294754

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by totalimmortal363 /forum/post/19611975

Have you thought about going the Klipsch website and comparing the two? I just did and its pretty obvious...

I did look at their site and compare them.

It was far from obvious to me, I'm not an audiophile.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM88 /forum/post/19611997

only major differences are the hd 500 has a 8 inch subwoofer vs the hd 300's 6.5 inch subwoofer

the tweeters are a different material hd 300 is textile vs hd 500 aluminum dome

also the hd 500 goes 4hz lower than the hd 300

also take a look at this thread some way better offerings I love klipsch but these speakers are not worth there name imo

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1294754

Is that significant? worth the extra $100? (500 is on sale for $400)

.. The speakers in that thread, what are 'bookshelf speakers?'

I'm NOT going for loud - I never listen to my music etc. loud. I just want good quality. Would you still say look elsewhere?

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icor1031 /forum/post/19612103

Is that significant? worth the extra $100? (500 is on sale for $400)

.. The speakers in that thread, what are 'bookshelf speakers?'

I'm NOT going for loud - I never listen to my music etc. loud. I just want good quality. Would you still say look elsewhere?

these are some things you will need to take into consideration no matter what ..

room size & budget I assume 400-500 range just for speakers right ?

bookshelves are just the size of the speaker

satellites/very small bookshelves/mid size towers/full size

do you have a receiver already ?

and yes i would still look elsewhere .. but it's all up too you in the end , but for 500 there is alot of options around and better quality

·
Registered
781 Posts
I just bought and installed the HD 300 system in my livingroom. I needed very small sattelites as I have a 58" plasma set above the fireplace with roughly

4"-5" of wall to each side of it before there are built-in shelves that are set back from the fireplace wall. The room is 14' across on the fireplace wall x 20' long to where the room transitions to the kitchen. The ceiling is 2 story with an open overlook from the 2nd floor hall. It's a large, open space. I am running it with a Pioneer VSX-850-k.

I put in Transformers 2 to see what this mini system could do. I have not done any setup (MCACC) or even fiddled with channel levels or distance settings. I set the speakers to small and put the crossover in the Pioneer to 150hz per the instructions. I was not expecting much as I just wanted a cheap setup for general family usage.

I was impressed! For the price. That little 6.5" ported sub filled the room with bass. Not really high quality bass, but enough where I could feel the transformer in the opening scene when it stepped on the tribal member in the sand. The speakers played louder than they will likely ever be played. The soundfield was big and cohesive. It's perfect for my needs.

Now, I'm used to my Ascend Sierra-1's(soon to be NrT's) and my 12" Rythmik sub for the real high quality stuff, but that setup is reserved for the basement system which is a work in progress.

For $249 I have no complaints! (Well, the spring clip speaker connections SUCK!)

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM88 /forum/post/19612176

these are some things you will need to take into consideration no matter what ..

room size & budget I assume 400-500 range just for speakers right ?

bookshelves are just the size of the speaker

satellites/very small bookshelves/mid size towers/full size

do you have a receiver already ?

and yes i would still look elsewhere .. but it's all up too you in the end , but for 500 there is alot of options around and better quality

I don't have a reciever yet.

Yes, 400-500 for just speakers.

Do you have any specific suggestions what will produce better quality, or just what's in that thread you linked?

If it matters: The sound it gets will be coming out of my X-Fi card from my PC, for country music and games.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but when you say better quality you mean the realism, clarity, etc. of the sound ? you don't mean volume or such, right?

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19612181

I sound tested both and hated both of them especially the HD300 as it failed at trying to fill a 15 x 15 sound room

Any suggestions in the same price range?

Also, my speakers will not be far from me - probably 5' each at the max.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTDIGITY /forum/post/19612184

I just bought and installed the HD 300 system in my livingroom. I needed very small sattelites as I have a 58" plasma set above the fireplace with roughly

4"-5" of wall to each side of it before there are built-in shelves that are set back from the fireplace wall. The room is 14' across on the fireplace wall x 20' long to where the room transitions to the kitchen. The ceiling is 2 story with an open overlook from the 2nd floor hall. It's a large, open space. I am running it with a Pioneer VSX-850-k.

I put in Transformers 2 to see what this mini system could do. I have not done any setup (MCACC) or even fiddled with channel levels or distance settings. I set the speakers to small and put the crossover in the Pioneer to 150hz per the instructions. I was not expecting much as I just wanted a cheap setup for general family usage.

I was impressed! For the price. That little 6.5" ported sub filled the room with bass. Not really high quality bass, but enough where I could feel the transformer in the opening scene when it stepped on the tribal member in the sand. The speakers played louder than they will likely ever be played. The soundfield was big and cohesive. It's perfect for my needs.

Now, I'm used to my Ascend Sierra-1's(soon to be NrT's) and my 12" Rythmik sub for the real high quality stuff, but that setup is reserved for the basement system which is a work in progress.

For $249 I have no complaints! (Well, the spring clip speaker connections SUCK!)

Thanks for the review on the 300.

Do you know if the things I listed above about the 500 are significant advantages? worth the extra $150?

·
Registered
376 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icor1031 /forum/post/19612196

I don't have a reciever yet.

Yes, 400-500 for just speakers.

Do you have any specific suggestions what will produce better quality, or just what's in that thread you linked?

If it matters: The sound it gets will be coming out of my X-Fi card from my PC, for country music and games.

I don't mean to sound like an idiot, but when you say better quality you mean the realism, clarity, etc. of the sound ? you don't mean volume or such, right?

here is another you might like and it will be alot better than the hd300 or 500

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...rgy-_-82269024

im sure others will chime in with more suggestions or since it will be just for a computer might be more than enough for you but it still have a pretty steep price tag [email protected] 500

better quality to me would be the components used in building the speaker, ,if they use cheap spring terminals or 5 way binding posts etc also yes the quality of the sound not so much the volume although you want a somewhat efficient speaker even if you are not gonna be playing it loud basically the best bang for your buck is what i look for .

·
Registered
781 Posts
If my budget had been $400 I would have definitely looked at the Energy system.

My Fiancee is more than happy with the Klipsch setup, and the girls don't even care if there is surround or not. There was Christmas music playing the other day and I could hear it upstairs in the master bedroom. For the cost of the whole setup (Receiver + speakers) I'm happy!

I will be upgrading my Sierra-1's to the NrT's this evening, so it all equals out!!

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. I'm surprised you suggest a $400 Energy set over $600 Klipsch ($400 now), that helps though. It means I don't have to hurry to buy Klipsch while it's on sale,

Anyone else care to chime in?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icor1031 /forum/post/19614069

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate it. I'm surprised you suggest a $400 Energy set over $600 Klipsch ($400 now), that helps though. It means I don't have to hurry to buy Klipsch while it's on sale,

Anyone else care to chime in?

The Energy Take Classic 5.1 use to be $800 last year. (Now down to $400)

The Energy RC-Micro 5.1 is still a $1,000 at some places. (Now down to $400 only on Crutchfield)

I'd like to tell you that price doesn't mean quality always. Bose marks up their products very high and its ****

------------------------------------------------------------------------
What is the size of your viewing room?

The professional reviews of the Energy Speakers is the reason I would go with the Energy's
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...classic-review

When I sound tested the HD300 and HD500 I personally thought they were a complete rip off.

The HD300 was beat out by the older Polk RM6750 as far as volume, clarity, and bass. I found the only thing the HD500 had over the Polk RM6750 was bass. Small speakers means small sounds but I haven't found that to be true with the energy satelite systems

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19614249

The Energy Take Classic 5.1 use to be $800 last year. (Now down to $400)

The Energy RC-Micro 5.1 is still a $1,000 at some places. (Now down to $400 only on Crutchfield)

I'd like to tell you that price doesn't mean quality always. Bose marks up their products very high and its ****

What is the size of your viewing room?

The professional reviews of the Energy Speakers is the reason I would go with the Energy's
http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/s...classic-review

When I sound tested the HD300 and HD500 I personally thought they were a complete rip off.

The HD300 was beat out by the older Polk RM6750 as far as volume, clarity, and bass. I found the only thing the HD500 had over the Polk RM6750 was bass. Small speakers means small sounds but I haven't found that to be true with the energy satelite systems

As I've said, I don't care about it being loud.. The energy has better bass / clarity, right?

·
Registered
29,111 Posts
Unless you must have satellite speakers get 4 Jamo E805s.
http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it..._c=site_search

1 Jamo C400 center

And a $245 subwoofer.
http://lavasubs.com/10_inch/powered_home_subwoofer.html

You can get a 15% discount as an AVS forum member which would bring the price down to about $208 shipped. I think you have to call for the discount.

total for 4 speakers and sub would then be about $480.

Or if you do need satellites get this Def Tech Pro Cinema 60 package.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts