AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I set up a Denon AVR-X2100 with Klipsch RF 42's, RC 42, and SVS PB1000. When I set up audyssey I noticed and reviewed the results most everything as corrected to -6db as well as the sub. My distances seemed about right except the Sub was set at 31' when it is more like 8' away. I am using a Dayton wireless transmitter so I guess this is normal. The sub is set at 1/2 volume and x over all the way up as I have set the receiver at 80hz. The sub seemed lower volume that I would like So I heard it was best to adjust the volume on the receiver and not on the sub. I did not touch the Audyssey sub setting...was this correct action? Sub placement is along the wall with the woofer firing along the wall and NOT outward.

I was a little underwhelmed with the bass of the RF42's when they stand alone. Should I give them more break in time? They are set about 6" out from the wall. Is this enough? I have considered trying the RF62's but think the center would be really big looking.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Everything seems normal. Adjusting the sub trim in the receiver allows you to return to the calibrated setting more easily if you choose to at a later time.

Break in time will not make a difference in the bass. If you're underwhelmed with the bass of the mains, play around with higher crossover settings (best bet) and experiment with speaker placement.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
The RF-42s are only rated to 59Hz ± 3dB, I wouldn't expect too much bass out of them. But, since you have a capable subwoofer, like jpco suggested, try a higher crossover of 100-120hz.

And yes, crank up that sub trim in the AVR 6-8db and you should notice a great improvement in the bass. ;)

Did you do a sub crawl to determine where to place the sub? If not, you may not be getting the most out of it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did try three different places for the sub. They all sounded close enough that I went back to my original spot that kept it somewhat hidden. Too bad I do not have enough space to place the sub in front by the mains.

I will try a 100/120hz x over. If I remember right Audyssey may have set it at that point and I changed it to 80hz.

Good point on using the sub trim vs sub volume knob...easier to revert back settings.

As for the 42's sound. I think I am expecting to be able to use direct sound mode to listen to music. Basically I want my mains to be able to handle their own on music such as Pink Floyd and The Beatles. The 42's certainly play very loud and crisp and possibly exceed the balance of the SVS sub. In the future I may either pick up another PB1000 or upgrade to a PB2000. That will wait until we move to a bigger house.

I will do some experimenting.

Thank You all for the input.

·
Registered
12,983 Posts
I will try a 100/120hz x over. If I remember right Audyssey may have set it at that point and I changed it to 80hz.
You should never lower a crossover set by Audyssey (it is fine to raise them) for two reasons:

1) Audyssey only applies correction down to the -3db point of the speaker. If Audyssey set it at 100hz and you lowered it to 80hz, you now have no EQ between 80-100hz.
2) If you listen at high volume levels, you risk damaging your speakers by sending them frequencies too low for them to handle.

As for the 42's sound. I think I am expecting to be able to use direct sound mode to listen to music. Basically I want my mains to be able to handle their own on music such as Pink Floyd and The Beatles.
If you mean in Pure Direct mode, I think you are going to be very disappointed. Pure Direct on most AVRs does not include bass management and silences the subwoofer. If you listen in Stereo and use the sub, you will be much happier. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts