AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as well as being new to having a decent sound system. I purchased a Klipsch system less than a year ago, and I'm already looking at upgrading it. I currently have RF-82's, RC-62, and RS-42's, a Denon AVR-1713, and 2 RW-10's. My entertainment room is 18'W x 22'D with an 8' ceiling, carpeted. I really want the RF-7's for fronts, mostly because they are Bad-ass, as well as a RC-64 center. First off, how would the RF-82's do as rears in a 7.2 system, and do you think RF-7's with a RC-64 is way overkill for that size room?

There are a few things I realize, one is that I would need to upgrade my receiver, and two my subs aren't the greatest, but I really like the looks of the RF-7's/RC-64 combo!

I've seen some RF-7's and RC-64's online, but labelled as B-grade, has anyone purchased these? What's the real story behind "B-grade", or is it that Klipsch didn't like the wood veneer like I've read about?

Thanks guys.

Dave

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Dave, I think you understand correctly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn't sure if B grade meant something so little, I figured it would have to be a serious manufacturing error, or possible refurbished units.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Look at my thread in the Great Found Deals Room for the B Stock RF-7IIs.

Click on the link & read. Call Klipsch before buying, to verify they are Authorized on-line dealer.

Let us know all the details, please.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Afaik, Sound Distributors is an authorized dealer and I suspect Klipsch offers these through them when the market is slow...They are evidently a darker cherry like the Klipsch RF-7 Classics, which they sold as a special order item as effort not to undercut their dealers who were trying to sell RF-83s at the time and have done this before with the current line through the same outfit.

My thought is you would also want to get the RC-64II in the same color and given we are all on the AVSForum I would also contact them to see if they can match the price. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
ZT, would you please comment on his other questions about the RF-7II, e. C.?

Also, might I add, try to use another RF7-II as center, IF you can make it work.

·
Registered
5,120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlozy  /t/1489947/klipsch-b-grade#post_23718714

...First off, how would the RF-82's do as rears in a 7.2 system, and do you think RF-7's with a RC-64 is way overkill for that size room?

There are a few things I realize, one is that I would need to upgrade my receiver, and two my subs aren't the greatest, but I really like the looks of the RF-7's/RC-64 combo!

Sure--I think the RF-82s would work as surrounds or rears and in that configuration you would definitely want to upgrade your AVR to one that can handle 4 Ohm speakers...I have a 9.2 configuration using RF-3 towers as surrounds and recently purchased a discontinued upper-end Denon AVR-4311ci from OneCall.com for $1299 which fits the bill. I saw someone mention they got the newer Denon AVR-4520ci from AVSForum for a good price and may possibly be upgradeable to HDMI 2.0 but you would need to check with them on that.

That said, a cheaper AVR with pre-outs for a separate amp may also be an option and others seem to go that route.

·
Registered
20,487 Posts

Quote:
Sure--I think the RF-82s would work as surrounds or rears and in that configuration you would definitely want to upgrade your AVR to one that can handle 4 Ohm speakers...I have a 9.2 configuration using RF-3 towers as surrounds and recently purchased a discontinued upper-end Denon AVR-4311ci from OneCall.com for $1299 which fits the bill. I saw someone mention they got the newer Denon AVR-4520ci from AVSForum for a good price and may possibly be upgradeable to HDMI 2.0 but you would need to check with them on that.

I'm running my Martin Logan 4 ohm speakers with a 4520 and I have plenty of power. I agree that upgrading that reciever should be a priority. By the way, while we don't usually have Klipsch B stock speakers, we, sometimes have open box Klipsch speakers available - give one of us a call here at AV Science.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Give Craig a call & see if he can do better.

Then tell her, they what the normal price is.

Let us know how it goes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts