AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work at Best Buy and am putting together a home theater. Trying to decide between these two brands. Klipsch seems like the obvious answer but I've also heard they are harsh and shrill. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Try to give them both a listen side by side if you can. I can say that I haven't heard anything bad about the Pioneers at that price point. For the money, you really can't go wrong with the Pioneers and would not be disappoint whould you choose those. As for the Klipsch, I honestly haven't really heard anything good or bad.

·
Registered
16 Posts
While I do not have the entry level Klipsch Reference speakers I have the RF-82 II's and I can say I absolutely love them I switched from Polk to Klipsch and I will never go back.

If you work best buy you should have a chance to listen to both of them both and find what sounds best to you though.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Way too expensive
From the other threads you've created on this topic, I believe I recall your budget being $500. Those Sony towers are $155 each at Best Buy minus whatever discount you get. Seems to be in the ballpark. Regardless, follow the advice of others and just listen to all the speakers you have available at the store. Pick whatever suits your personal tastes. You don't need the approval of the internet on the choice you make. :D

·
Registered
7,002 Posts
Do these sound a lot better than the Klipsch?
Sound is subjective. What one person really likes, another person might really hate...

I personally don't like Klipsch speakers, I am more of a fan of Polk's but there are people that love Klipsch speakers and hate Polk's

Go to Best Buy and listen to the speakers they have and pick what sounds best to YOUR ears. The Sony Core, Klipsch Entry levels, or Pioneers are great speakers to start with so just buy what sounds good to YOUR ears.

·
Registered
19,553 Posts
Do these sound a lot better than the Klipsch?
They are the only ones I would buy off the Best Buy floor. Some speakers
are voiced to jump out at you in/on the showroom floor - while others are
voiced to be balanced and still have good detail and definition.

The ones that are voiced to jump out, can after a while bring ear fatigue.

However it is about you and not me - can you find a way to audition them?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
They are the only ones I would buy off the Best Buy floor. Some speakers
are voiced to jump out at you in/on the showroom floor - while others are
voiced to be balanced and still have good detail and definition.

The ones that are voiced to jump out, can after a while bring ear fatigue.

However it is about you and not me - can you find a way to audition them?
Do Klipsch fall into the jump out category?

·
Registered
641 Posts
everyone hears different. i have been a klipsch fan since 2009. have went away to salk and RAAL ribbons to see if i missed that laid back airy smooth sound. WRONG! my heritage cornwalls were every bit as smooth and airy as the talks i had. and they had way more dynamics and spell capability. i will take that all day. HOWEVER, i am not a fan of the "reference" series best buy sells at all. not a true klipsch product in my opinion. the reference ii stuff is the minimum i would buy while they can still be found

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
That is the problem, IMHO. Not all Klipsch horns are ear fatiguing, but the low end stuff, well that is hard for me to listen to. Also, Bic Acousttech stuff. If you are going to get a horn/compression driver, I think you have to spend some money to reap the benefit. At the lower end, I would find a speaker with a dome tweeter...
I am not a fan of the Pioneer AJ series, but a ton of people have bought them and liked them and it is hard to argue with the price. Sounds like the Sony core speakers are a very solid budget speaker- just listen after work some day and buy what you like, however!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is the problem, IMHO. Not all Klipsch horns are ear fatiguing, but the low end stuff, well that is hard for me to listen to. Also, Bic Acousttech stuff. If you are going to get a horn/compression driver, I think you have to spend some money to reap the benefit. At the lower end, I would find a speaker with a dome tweeter...
I am not a fan of the Pioneer AJ series, but a ton of people have bought them and liked them and it is hard to argue with the price. Sounds like the Sony core speakers are a very solid budget speaker- just listen after work some day and buy what you like, however!
Damn, maybe I need to go listen to these

·
Registered
6,602 Posts
Our local Best buy doesn't have the Sony core tower, but has the bookshelf version. If that is the case with the one you work at, go listen and see what you think- the tower will likely be "fuller" with more bass, but will sound similar.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Our local Best buy doesn't have the Sony core tower, but has the bookshelf version. If that is the case with the one you work at, go listen and see what you think- the tower will likely be "fuller" with more bass, but will sound similar.
Why does everyone think Klipsch are so great? Marketing?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Tom, you really need to listen to the speakers being discussed and make you own judgement. To one person speaker A may sound too bright and speaker B may sound great. To another, speaker A my sound great and speaker B may sound dull and lifeless. We all have our own set of ears and preferences. You work there. Take a listen and decide for yourself. Who cares what other people like. You are the one who will be living with them.

Good Luck

·
Registered
944 Posts
Why does everyone think Klipsch are so great? Marketing?
Klipsch Heritage series are phenomenal. If you ever get the chance to listen to some Fortes or Cornwalls don't hesitate. Particularly with upgraded crossovers. I really like their reference line too, especially the first run of them. The lower end stuff not so much.

I think some of the companies that people frown on nowadays like Klipsch and Polk had some excellent stuff in the 80's. And some great stuff now too at the upper end. So they've always kept some loyal followers. I had a couple pairs of entry level Polk speakers and they were just average, nothing special in the slightest. But then I picked up some vintage Monitor 10's and upgraded the crossovers. Wow! Fantastic speakers.

To the OP...did you ever mention what you were going to use these for? For primarily music I would lean towards the Pioneers or Sony. For home theater the Klipsch.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts