AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building my first HT and I could use some input on my speaker setup. I've got an old pair of Klipsch KG4's that I bought in the mid eighties that I have intention of tossing and I would like to incorporate into my HT.

Firstly: what do you all think of Klipsch speakers?

Second: should I use these speakers as my front pair or back?

Third: does anyone have any experience with Klipsch center channel speakers? I know they come in a few sizes. How do I choose the correct size?

Fourth: Sub-woofer. Looks like this is the big ticket item. I looked at one (a big one) and the price of that one speaker was a shocker. I think Klipsch makes a smaller sub-woofer but I'm not sure. Anybody know?

Since I like my KG4's so well I'm thinking I should stick with the product line. But I don't have the deepest wallet in the world. So if there is another speaker setup that will pair up nicely with my KG4's please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Mark,

hi...the Reference series is a good place to start. I would suggest the RF3II if you are on a budget and the RF-7 series if you have the $$$.

1) I think Klipsch are a great line of speakers with a history to back it up.

2) I would suggest getting new all around so the speakers "match".

3) I have the RC-7 for my center. I am very impressed. Dialog is some of the best you will get.

These speakers are not laid back. They will get your attention. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I saw the RF-7s at a local Tweeter on clearance for $1000!

Too bad, I didn't like their bass enough to buy them. It wasn't deep enough for me.

I like their mids and highs though. They're very crisp.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
My observation is that people tend to either love or hate the Klipsch sound. If you think you like the sound of the KG4's a lot, go for another set of Klipsch. If you are not sure, I suggest you first listen to the current Klipsch lines as well as several other reputable brands of speakers at your local dealers, in order to get some comparative impressions. You will realize that the Klipsch has, good or bad, a strong personality in its sound.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent some time reading thru the forums on Klipsch's website last night and I have decided to go the Ebay route. It seems that most people who love the "Classic" Klipsch sound (1) aren't interested in tossing out their old stuff and (2) are into finding old "Classic" speakers to match their existing pair.

So I surfed Ebay and I'm watching 2 auctions for center channel speakers. The consensus is that KV-3's (centers) are the best match for my KG4's.

We'll see how the bidding goes. Thanks for your input.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.