AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have B&W 601 with Matching Center for my LCR. I don't get the midrange I'm looking from the setup. I am thinking towers might be a better option to meet that need. I was thinking about adding new 684s for the fronts and moving the 601s to the rears.

For about the same money, I can get a complete Klipsch Icon W front towers (W34), Center and rears (W14). Although I've read many good things about the Klipsch speakers, I've never heard them and there's nowhere local where i can demo them. I will tell you they are much more aesthetically pleasing than the B&Ws...

Is there anyone on the forum who can offer an opinion as to what might be the right decision here?

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
People tend to have strong feelings about Klipsch both pro and con. I'd be sure to audition them before buying. I thought the difference between the 601 and 602's was striking, you can get a used pair of those on ebay for under $350 and put the rest toward a killer sub.

Ron

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ron. I have a killer sub (HSU VTF2MK3). i'll check out whether i can locate some 602s although buying used isn't my thing.

·
Registered
505 Posts
You now have B&W and are considering Klipsch; talk about apples to oranges! These sound signatures are pretty different from each other. If you really like the sound of your B&W's chances are you will most likely not like the Klipsch sound. I prefer B&W's sound and cannot listen to the Klipsch for more than 10 or 15 min. before my ears start to ache. Before you blindly consider buying the Klipsch setup, do whatever you can to listen to some first - even if that means taking a road trip.

If you like the B&W sound, you may also want to consider PSB or Dali speakers too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks dogearz. i do like the B&W sound but i've found that for movies i have to turn the sound way up to hear any mid range. i think that B&W just requries more umpff than my Onkyo will manage.

·
Registered
505 Posts
What Onkyo do you have? Maybe it's not your speakers... What is your room layout like? Where/how are your speakers positioned? Do you have a coffee table between your speakers and your listening position? If your room isn't causing any issues, and you get the sound you like at louder volumes, may a separate amp might give you the sound you're looking for at lower volumes?

Just some thoughts to consider.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
dogearz, i've heard receiver may be part of my issue. i understand that B&Ws need more juice to sound better. i have an Onkyo 701 that's about a year old. its a highly rated receiver but i'm sure its not putting out the amperage that a Rotel or NAD would.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts