AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have not been there yet but I talked to a high end stereophile shop in Martinez,Ga. about def tech to see if he had any I could listen to.He said that he has them as well as usher,psb,bel canto,and several other high end lines. Then I mentioned Klispch and he almost hung up on me, I did make it clear that he is pesonaly a sterophile and not HT but instals ht systems up to 100K, and that no selfrespecting high end shop would sell Klispch.He said that horn technology died in the 50's and is now trying to make a comeback.I told him I'm 99% ht and I liked the forwardness of KLipsch.His reply is that is realy just distortion that you hear.

He said that the def tech would blow them away and that is his low end line.He could not say enough bad about Klipsch stating that NO high end shop in the country sells them because they are mass market junk.I am still trying to get somewhere that I can listen to both again but my first impression was leaning toward Klipsch.He said the same thing about how they would tire you out after awhile because they are so bright but I've read that they have addressed that with the new rf series.I like the way both sound but I think Klipsch would suite me better for HT, maybe I just don't know what I'm listening to.Any comments

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Dude I have listened to a lot of speakers over the last month. Klipsh, def tech, polk,infinity,jbl,athena,B&W and a few others. I bought the Klipsch because I felt they gave the most bang for my buck I too am 99% HT and I just love the sound. Everyone has different taste. Buy the ones you like. I'll admit there were some that were slightly better sounding but the cost was way more. I love my Klipsch. Now I do have to say I have a $2,000 sub (rsw-15) hooked up to it and that will make a difference. But you don't have to spend that much to get a great sounding system. Magnolia Home theater carries both Klipsch and Def Tech if you have one close. I'll probably get a lot of Flack for this post but I like these speakers regardless of what others say.

Yamaha htr6090

Klipsch b3 surround

Klipsch c3 center

Klipsch rsw-15 sub

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts
Klipsch junk?? Get real. It's a great line of speakers, and a great value.

Some "audiophiles" don't care for Klipsch because they play loud and they have bass. And who on Earth would want a sensibly-priced speaker that plays loud and has bass???

Sheesh.

·
Registered
752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bis /forum/post/0

I have not been there yet but I talked to a high end stereophile shop in Martinez,Ga. about def tech to see if he had any I could listen to.He said that he has them as well as usher,psb,bel canto,and several other high end lines. Then I mentioned Klispch and he almost hung up on me, I did make it clear that he is pesonaly a sterophile and not HT but instals ht systems up to 100K, and that no selfrespecting high end shop would sell Klispch.He said that horn technology died in the 50's and is now trying to make a comeback.I told him I'm 99% ht and I liked the forwardness of KLipsch.His reply is that is realy just distortion that you hear.

He said that the def tech would blow them away and that is his low end line.He could not say enough bad about Klipsch stating that NO high end shop in the country sells them because they are mass market junk.I am still trying to get somewhere that I can listen to both again but my first impression was leaning toward Klipsch.He said the same thing about how they would tire you out after awhile because they are so bright but I've read that they have addressed that with the new rf series.I like the way both sound but I think Klipsch would suite me better for HT, maybe I just don't know what I'm listening to.Any comments

cruise on over to the Klipsch forum and let them know about this shop. The Klipsch guys that live in the Bay Area will have a ball with them.

Oh by the way...I love my Klipsch!

Another thing, you should call him back and ask him if Audioholics is full of crap as well since they love the Ultra II system and other Klipsch as well. But maybe he has never heard of Audioholics...Ok you can educate him.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Lets see that salesman was pushing Def Tech a brand he sells and slamming Klipsch a brand he doesn,t wonder if that less than brilliant salesman was looking for a Def Tech sale I,ve been listening to Klipsch for years and completely happy.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Klipsch is not junk. They make some real nice speakers.

Yeah, their lower models can be a bit to the shabby side of quality. But just about every manufactor that produces speakers in several different price brackets, has a few models (or a Series) that is shabby.

It's all about personal prefence and taste. What ever hits each indivuals ears (and brain) the right away.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If a salesperson has to slam the competition to make a sale, he:

1. Is just not very good at his job.

2. Does not know enough about his own product lines to market them effectively

3. Is just not very good at his job. Oh I said that already.

One of the first rules of sales is to not slam the competition. It just makes you look uninformed and desperate.

Klipsch is a great brand that has succeeded over a long period of time with many satisfied customers. Not for everyone, but still a good brand.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
He did say they where boomy,also he said he has people bring in klipsch all the time to compare them to what ever,he really pushed usher for the money,and they just leave shaking there heads cause theres sounded so bad.I did not belive him but I it did make me rethink alittle.He also is a repair shop so we talked about recievers alittle.Nad is his brand.Given a choice it would be NAD,Arcam,then maybe marantz as far as recievers go.

I asked about rotel and he said they were ok,but you never know who is going to own them this week so getting parts could be a problem.He bashed all the mainstream stuff Den. Yam. Pion. Onk. HK.I told him I have an older Den. he said they are not very musical and parts can be hard to get.He went out to show last week said he'll listen to hundreds of speakers and only a few will cut it.Oh I almost forgot he said outlaw has to sell direct becaus nobody wants to carry them.I'm not trying to start a bashing session it just ticks me that someone can be so narrow minded and think it's ther way or no way.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bis /forum/post/0

He said that horn technology died in the 50's and is now trying to make a comeback.I told him I'm 99% ht and I liked the forwardness of KLipsch.His reply is that is realy just distortion that you hear.

He said that the def tech would blow them away and that is his low end line.He could not say enough bad about Klipsch stating that NO high end shop in the country sells them because they are mass market junk.

That's rich. I'd better put my Klipschorns at the curb then.

He's insane if he thinks that kind of talk will win him credibility and sales. Ignore him and don't give him the benefit of a sale.

·
Registered
830 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry22m /forum/post/0

Lets see that salesman was pushing Def Tech a brand he sells and slamming Klipsch a brand he doesn,t wonder if that less than brilliant salesman was looking for a Def Tech sale I,ve been listening to Klipsch for years and completely happy.

Jerry,

I think you hit the nail on the head.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Really...

The guy's no different than 99% of the contributors on this forum who propose and defend their personal choice of speaker / equipment brand.

He just shouldn't do it, as a salesman, in that manner.

·
Registered
253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevdart /forum/post/0

Really...

The guy's no different than 99% of the contributors on this forum who propose and defend their personal choice of speaker / equipment brand.

You are 100% correct not 99% but 100% correct. great post.

My speakers are better then yours!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Klipsh are junk. He's crazy for say that. They also come with 5 year warranty. I have the RF-83 that I realy like for HT and music. Coundn't be happier with them. The FR-83 and RF-63 are a little tamer on the high end. I also have the RF-82 for rears and the RC-64 center.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Personally I hate the sound of the RF-82s and 83s, to the point where I don't really see how people can like them. I still probably wouldn't call them junk though. I guess it just proves that there are significant differences in ear physiology from person to person.

I was passing through an Ultimate Electronics last week and listened to everything they had just for fun and I definitely prefer the sound of the Def Techs to Klipsch. The Mythos One was okay, although I didn't like them enough to ever consider buying them. The BP7002s, on the other hand, impressed me enough that they would make it onto a list of speakers to listen to further. I still probably wouldn't get them, but I'd at least listen to them again to make sure.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would be very cautious about this salesman's views. Klipsch has always adhered to very high quality products, and spends a lot of time and effort in R&D. Also, they now own and have access to the R&D of Jamo in Denmark, as well as Mirage, Energy, and Athena (API Corp.). If you enjoy the sound they portray, then this brand is for you.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the comments, Istill haven't made up my mind yet but I tell you I will not make it up in his store.I also like both def and klipsch sounds but after reading the post ealier about the bipolar speakers I think the direct radiating klipsch would suit ht better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had my Klipsch speakers now for about six months. I spent six months reading reviews and listening to speakers before purchasing. I heard several "old timers" bash Klipsch. They said things like they only used horns and that women would hate them. One of these guys also said room acoustic treatments didn't matter as long as bought his great $10K speakers. Then he turned up the volume so that everything in the room rattled and told me how great it sounded!

I have Klipsch RF-82, RC-62, and RS-52. My Sub is a KEF that I bought a few months earlier on a deal that was too good to pass up.

No regrets, my room doesn't rattle, I love listening music and movies with these speakers, and I still have some change left over towards a new projector.

·
Registered
399 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevdart /forum/post/0

Really...

Agreed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.