AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Several months ago i bought a used klipsch kc-25 center channel speaker off ebay. As per the seller it had no defects.Long story short. I've been using it for several months but something always seemed a bit off to me in the sense that the speaker sounds very muffled to me compared to my left and right floor speakers, the different is day and night(not a good comparison perhaps?). My AVR is a Onkyo 747.

i plugged the kc-25 in place of my side speaker and it sounded the same. I also decided to take the speaker apart and its looks new inside, no signs of any repair or anything. just the usual filling of wrapped up foam inside the box. Apparently thats normal for klipsch speakers as per the research i did on the internet.

I also notice that the left speaker of the kc-25 is louder than the right.

im quite puzzled as i dont know if this is how its supposed to sound or something is not right. Now what i would like to know is that this speaker being a center reference speaker, could it be that its circuitry doesnt allow all frequencies hence the sound is muffled to me? If i play music through that speaker it sounds pretty crappy, if i play something with only some talking and stuff, it sounds better but still not as clear as my side speakers. i have a old RCA center channel, when i plug that in, that thing sounds A LOT better than the klipsch, all the lows and highs come out of it very loud and clear.

Should i be expecting the same frequencies through this speaker as my side floor speakers or the center channel is tuned for other frequencies.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Specs have it listed at getting down to 82, so it won't have much bass ... but that doesn't seem to be your problem. Just set the channel to small -- assuming 80-100 crossover?

I'd expect highs to work fine with it, lows would be the issue. But with a sub, don't think it'd be a big deal.

Check out reviews for that model from other places, see if anyone else has muffled sound issues ... maybe it's just the way that speaker is. Or maybe something is broken... crossover/tweeter... not sure.. experts here would have to chime in.

·
Registered
16,705 Posts
Problems with center channels can often be related to placement. Can you share a picture?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hello,

Several months ago i bought a used klipsch kc-25 center channel speaker off ebay. As per the seller it had no defects.Long story short. I've been using it for several months but something always seemed a bit off to me in the sense that the speaker sounds very muffled to me compared to my left and right floor speakers, the different is day and night(not a good comparison perhaps?). My AVR is a Onkyo 747.

i plugged the kc-25 in place of my side speaker and it sounded the same. I also decided to take the speaker apart and its looks new inside, no signs of any repair or anything. just the usual filling of wrapped up foam inside the box. Apparently thats normal for klipsch speakers as per the research i did on the internet.

I also notice that the left speaker of the kc-25 is louder than the right.

im quite puzzled as i dont know if this is how its supposed to sound or something is not right. Now what i would like to know is that this speaker being a center reference speaker, could it be that its circuitry doesnt allow all frequencies hence the sound is muffled to me? If i play music through that speaker it sounds pretty crappy, if i play something with only some talking and stuff, it sounds better but still not as clear as my side speakers. i have a old RCA center channel, when i plug that in, that thing sounds A LOT better than the klipsch, all the lows and highs come out of it very loud and clear.

Should i be expecting the same frequencies through this speaker as my side floor speakers or the center channel is tuned for other frequencies.
Muffled sound? Tweeter more than likely blown.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Problems with center channels can often be related to placement. Can you share a picture?
No placement is not really the issue at this point. I moved the speaker on a table and i sat righ tin front of it to do some tests. See my other post below. Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Muffled sound? Tweeter more than likely blown.
yes, so i went out to bestbuy to buy a newer R25C unit to compare. The tweeter on that is way more pronounced and infact if i cover the tweeter of that one with my hand it almost sounds like my R25.
Now i can tell the tweeter on mine does work, but at an extremely low volume. on the speaker from bestbuy, i can clearly hear the high pitched frequencies.

Should i look into replacing the tweeter on mine? even though it does work but not loud enough. im kind if confused at this scenario.

·
Registered
8,385 Posts
I would just keep the new one.

·
Registered
323 Posts
:) yeh right... i'm gonna try replacing the tweeter its about $15, worth a shot.
If you hear anything coming from the tweeter.....its more than likely a cap that needs to be replaced in the tweeter section of the crossover....Total silence-bad tweeter, very low volume-bad cap.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you hear anything coming from the tweeter.....its more than likely a cap that needs to be replaced in the tweeter section of the crossover....Total silence-bad tweeter, very low volume-bad cap.
So i took out the tweeter from the speaker. Hooked it up directly to a stereo system and played some music. There is barely any sound coming out of it even if crank up the volume. On a volume scale of 1-10 i would say that the sound coming out if it as at 1.5.
Anyways i already ordered a new tweeter. Ill test it with that once i get it in a week or so.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
So i took out the tweeter from the speaker. Hooked it up directly to a stereo system and played some music.
If it wasn't blown before it is now. You can't run a tweeter without a high pass filter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If it wasn't blown before it is now. You can't run a tweeter without a high pass filter.
Yes, i knew that i shouldnt be running it directly. That's why i was very careful by how much input i gave to it. I put it back together and it sounds the same as before so not blown yet :)

Is there a way to check if the high pass filter in the speaker itself is working fine?

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
Is there a way to check if the high pass filter in the speaker itself is working fine?
One way is with testing gear that you probably don't have. The other option is to connect a couple of wires to the high pass filter output, run that to a another speaker. If the high pass is OK highs should go through to the other speaker.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
One way is with testing gear that you probably don't have. The other option is to connect a couple of wires to the high pass filter output, run that to a another speaker. If the high pass is OK highs should go through to the other speaker.

Thanks for the idea. so i did that. I took the wires of the tweeter and plugged them into an old regular surround channel speaker from a home theater system. I get the same loudness of highs from that speaker as from the original tweeter itself.
Can the crossover component be bad? or a bad one would block all highs 100% i.e no sound from the tweeter at all?
Im just wondering if this is all normal and if im just shooting in the dark.

This is how i connected the speaker to the high pass filter output..

Crossover

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so i finally took out a tweeter from a book shelf speaker that i have.Dont know why i didnt think of that before. Anyways, i installed that in the klipsch speaker and its no better.
So two possibilities:
1- It might just be the how the crossover in the speaker is tuned
2- The crossover's high pass filter has gone bad.

i dont know what else to make of it. Thanks everyone who helped me with this.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts
I'd say the crossover is bad. A blown cap can be identified, but again you need the right tools to do it. It could also be a bad connection on the PC board or broken component lead.

Reactions: prerich

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Another dumb question that. Can't believe I'm about to ask.
So the speaker has two pairs of connections that have have binding straps currently installed. Those have nothing to do with my setup right? Those are simply for bi- wiring or bi-amping ?
I shouldn't have to bi wire them to get proper frequencies to the soeaker? Cuz that doesn't make any sems...

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
Another dumb question that. Can't believe I'm about to ask.
So the speaker has two pairs of connections that have have binding straps currently installed. Those have nothing to do with my setup right? Those are simply for bi- wiring or bi-amping ?
I shouldn't have to bi wire them to get proper frequencies to the soeaker? Cuz that doesn't make any sems...
Just make sure the jumpers are connected black-black and red-red and you only need to use one pair of speaker wires. Bi-wiring/amping is useless in your situation. Bi-wiring is useless, period.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Have you ran Auddssey or similar when you changed the speaker?
The amp might of been dropping highs on a prev calibration and now needs to reset.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts