AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi everyone this is the first post I've put on here and just had a question, I just brought a 5.1 set of Klipsch Icon KF-28's and wanted to know what type of settings I should be running in my AVR, The AVR I have is an Onkyo tx-nr609 and i just wasn't sure what HZ I should be running as well as all the other stuff as once I go below 40hz it says (full band) and the picture of the speakers go bigger and also like the LFE level and the crossover dial on the back of the sw-450 sub I know the AVR has an Audyssey auto mic setup but I just wanted peoples opinions on how it should be setup and I mainly use my home theatre for watching a lot of movies more action then anything and games like COD or Battlefield, Thanks Heaps to any replies

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello,

I've owned the TX-NR609, which is a great 'bang for your buck' receiver... I used it to drive a 7.2 channel set of Gen-1 Andrew Jones Pioneer speakers/Eclipse Subs (later upgraded to the 809 on a deal I couldn't pass up).

Definitely use a tripod or mic stand when running Audyssey, and make sure you set it to ear height at the main listening position.

Before running the 'Audyssey 2EQ Full Calibration' process (described on page 31 of the owner's manual), either disable the LPF on the back of your sub (if possible) -or- alternately turn the crossover point up to the highest position allowable as you want the receiver to manage the crossover points without interference from the 'processing' on the sub.

Once you've performed the Audyssey full setup (I think its three measurement positions on the 609?), it will 'suggest' crossover points based on each of your speakers capabilities of reproducing the lower frequencies. Unless it is suggesting crossover points *higher* than 80hz, most people (including myself) would recommend setting the crossover points for ALL speakers to 80 Hz (as this is THX spec).

If you think the calibration went well (didn't have a truck drive by, refrigerator kick on, kid run through the room screaming, or some other noise that may have messed it up) go ahead and save the results of the calibration. Also, not sure if it makes much of a difference, but if Audyssey has set the volume for your sub lower than -3.5 or higher than +3.5, you might consider raising or lowering the volume knob on the back of the sub and re-running the Audyssey calibration (to get it within that range).

Once saved, you will be prompted to choose the Audyssey 'curve' to apply; go ahead and choose the 'movie' curve for now (you can/will customize this later for each input).

Go to setup > speaker setup > speaker configuration and set the Low-Pass Filter for the LFE Channel to 'Bypass' (this is for the .1 channel only and is separate from the 80 Hz crossover set for the other full-range channels). While in this menu, also set Double Bass to 'Off'.

The following settings are customizable for each source, so you have to set the receiver to the source you want to adjust BEFORE opening the setup menu... (pg. 50 of manual).

If you have a Blu-ray or DVD player connected, push the 'BD/DVD' on the remote to switch to that input. Then push 'Receiver' on remote control mode... then go to setup > source setup > Audyssey and select 'Movie' for the EQ curve (if it isn't already). Then set Dynamic EQ to 'On' and the Reference Level to '0dB'. I generally leave 'Dynamic Volume' set to 'Off'.

If you listen to the radio, a CD player, iPod, etc, you would select each input and then follow the instructions above, only you can select 'Music for the EQ curve and 5, 10, or 15dB for the reference level depending on the dynamic range of the music you generally listen to (pg 51 goes into more detail on this setting). For the iPod / USB input, you can also turn the 'Music Optimizer' to On (home button on remote > audio > Music Optimizer).

This should give you a good starting point to build upon for getting everything tweaked to your liking.

-Philip-

1 - 3 of 3 Posts