AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi - I am trying to decide which one i should buy?  Which one is better?  I can't seem to find any stores selling them so i can't demo in person.  I found someone who is willing to sell to me for cheap(er) than the retail stores.  Thanks.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Did you end up getting one of the models?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I got the 7800. Seriously now that I have it I can't say whether it's worth all that money. I like a lot of vocals so my center (rc64 klipsch) is cranked up more than the l/r so I'm hearing most from center. I have no complaints about the 7800 but then again I didn't test out much in walls.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Thanks for the reply.... Are you having any issues with the tone/timbre matching between the reference series center and the thx series in walls?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

They seem to be ok. I know subs don't matter when it comes to tone/timbre but I also bought 2 klipsch rw12 d for 250 a pop. Too cheap couldn't refuse. If u have more money to spend everyone here says to buy triad in walls. I also tested out b&w in walls and those were sweet. I mainly watch movies and seriously for movies I think the center and sub are the most important. I'm running all this with a denon x4000 which sounds better than my old onkyo 818

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Whatever in walls u decide with, everyone here says to get an enclosed back which the 7800 provides that that the 6500 series doesn't

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Did you consider using the 7800's for your Center Channel as well?  The Klipsch web-site calls them "LCR", and I am considering using them in an upcoming home theater build.

Does much sound come through the wall to the other room(s)?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No sound leak at all for me. The room behind the speakers is the mAster bedroom. I didn't consider to use them as a center bc I knew I was going to have a TV stand. For me the center speaker and sub are the most important to watch movies and that's what I do most. I don't think they will sound better than the klipsch rc64 that I have right now but if space is an issue, id go for it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk0oby21  /t/1501039/klipsch-kl-7800-thx-vs-klipsch-kl-6504-thx-lcr#post_24515815

No sound leak at all for me. The room behind the speakers is the mAster bedroom. I didn't consider to use them as a center bc I knew I was going to have a TV stand. For me the center speaker and sub are the most important to watch movies and that's what I do most. I don't think they will sound better than the klipsch rc64 that I have right now but if space is an issue, id go for it.
I appreciate the response!   I am not an audiophile by any stretch, but does the RC64 sound 'blend' well with the 7800s?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds good to me although I like dialogue so I tend to blast the center stronger which drowns out a lot of the l and r speakers.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds good to me although I like dialogue so I tend to blast the center stronger which drowns out a lot of the l and r speakers.
Hi,

Do you listen to music with your 7800 L/R? I am guessing my situation is similar to you, I listen to mostly vocal musics and I like using DolbySurround more then Stereo because my center speaker is a Klipsch 525THX and my L/R is Bose301.

I am looking to replace the bose with Klipsch Prop-7800, not sure if it's worth it or not.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm also deciding between the PRO-7800-THX, PRO-6504-THX, and PRO-6502-THX.

Specs wise, the 6500 series have higher sensitivity. Materials wise, the 7800 uses an aluminum cone, the 6500 series uses a fiberglass cone. 7800 also has an 8" cone vs the dual or quad 5" cones of the 6500 series. 7800 uses an enclosure, while 6500 does not. This is a very tough decision.

Price wise, I'm getting the 7800 for the same price as the 6504, while the 6502 is much much lower - this is from authorized dealers as well. What I'm debating in my mind is whether it's better to have one cone in the 7800 model, or dual or quad cones in the 6500 series. What is everyone's thoughts on this?

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I primarily went with the 7800-THX because it had the enclosure, and I was mounting mine 'on wall'/'in columns'... so, inside the Drywall shell, and worried that not having backer boxes in that setting would be negative.

The other reason was I am the ideal customer of Marketing person... The 7800 is more expensive, so, it must be better!

I don't know if the sonic (which is the most important) difference between an 8" cone vs quad 5.25" cones... but mathematically, the 8" cone has ~15% more total surface area than 4, 5.25" cones... and 232% more than 2 5.25" cones... Does that make any difference... I don't know!! Again, with my lack of understanding the details, my thought was 'bigger is better'...

So, this time I am over paid, but that is my $0.02 worth ;-)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts