AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello All,

I am in the early stages of planning my basement home theater an am working the framing plan.   My room will be roughly 17.5 ft wide x 26 ft long x ~ 8'8" 'tall'.  With soffit, risers, stage, etc., I am guessing in the range of 3500 - 4000 cubic feet.

I am thinking (with encouragement from my wife) that I want In Wall speakers for my 7.xx audio.  I am planning on using an acoustically transparent screen, and want two rows of theater chairs & a 3rd row 'bar' type thing.  So, having 18"+ deep speakers in the front behind the screen 'pushes' everything 'back', constraining space more than I would like.   This also likely allows me to avoid 'columns' in my theater or at least 'deep' columns.

So, my current plans are to get one of two sets of speakers...

Klipsch:  3 KL-7800 for Front L/C/R; 4 KS-7800 for Surround/Rear L/R

Definitive Technologies: 3 UIW RLS II for front L/C/R; 4 UIW RSS II for Surround/Rear L/R

The Klipsch option would run me about $2,900 and the Definitive Technologies about $2,600, so ball park similar range in cost.

Listening will likely be 95%+ for Home Theater.   

I haven't decided on Sub's yet, but am leaning against the 'in wall' options for Subs.   For simplicity, let's say the decision above does not impact my decision on a Sub's (i.e., won't make me spend $300 less on a sub if I choose Klipsch in walls).

I am not overly knowledgeable in this area, so, if there is a hey for $2,500-$3,000 for 7 speakers, you really need to consider Widget Companies Super Widget line of speakers, I am open to that as well.

Thanks in advance for your perspective.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Hello All,

I am in the early stages of planning my basement home theater an am working the framing plan.   My room will be roughly 17.5 ft wide x 26 ft long x ~ 8'8" 'tall'.  With soffit, risers, stage, etc., I am guessing in the range of 3500 - 4000 cubic feet.

I am thinking (with encouragement from my wife) that I want In Wall speakers for my 7.xx audio.  I am planning on using an acoustically transparent screen, and want two rows of theater chairs & a 3rd row 'bar' type thing.  So, having 18"+ deep speakers in the front behind the screen 'pushes' everything 'back', constraining space more than I would like.   This also likely allows me to avoid 'columns' in my theater or at least 'deep' columns.

So, my current plans are to get one of two sets of speakers...

Klipsch:  3 KL-7800 for Front L/C/R; 4 KS-7800 for Surround/Rear L/R
Definitive Technologies: 3 UIW RLS II for front L/C/R; 4 UIW RSS II for Surround/Rear L/R

The Klipsch option would run me about $2,900 and the Definitive Technologies about $2,600, so ball park similar range in cost.

Listening will likely be 95%+ for Home Theater.   

I haven't decided on Sub's yet, but am leaning against the 'in wall' options for Subs.   For simplicity, let's say the decision above does not impact my decision on a Sub's (i.e., won't make me spend $300 less on a sub if I choose Klipsch in walls).

I am not overly knowledgeable in this area, so, if there is a hey for $2,500-$3,000 for 7 speakers, you really need to consider Widget Companies Super Widget line of speakers, I am open to that as well.

Thanks in advance for your perspective.

Kevin
Your basic ideas are just fine, as far as speaker choice, unfortunately this is really only something you can answer, everyone hears different and likes different things, the horn loaded tweeters in the Klipsch will have a different sound than the DefTech's, don't decide on speaker "brand" on your room, go out and listen to as many speakers as you can, and don't worry if their in-walls or not, the bookshelves from the same company will sound similar enough to make a decision in that way.

While in wall Subs, sound ideal for hiding things, proper Sub placement is very room dependant and it's near impossible to calculate where they should be prior to the system being up and running, so staying away from them I'd a good idea.

Simply start by finding a speaker line you like the sound of and we'll help you all we can from there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
آتتععاتاالؤاااالللفإاإالءنننهتععل اا
your basic ideas are just fine, as far as speaker choice, unfortunately this is really only something you can answer, everyone hears different and likes different things, the horn loaded tweeters in the klipsch will have a different sound than the deftech's, don't decide on speaker "brand" on your room, go out and listen to as many speakers as you can, and don't worry if their in-walls or not, the bookshelves from the same company will sound similar enough to make a decision in that way.

While in wall subs, sound ideal for hiding things, proper sub placement is very room dependant and it's near impossible to calculate where they should be prior to the system being up and running, so staying away from them i'd a good idea.

Simply start by finding a speaker line you like the sound of and we'll help you all we can from there.
hello all,

i am in the early stages of planning my basement home theater an am working the framing plan.   my room will be roughly 17.5 ft wide x 26 ft long x ~ 8'8" 'tall'.  with soffit, risers, stage, etc., i am guessing in the range of 3500 - 4000 cubic feet.

i am thinking (with encouragement from my wife) that i want in wall speakers for my 7.xx audio.  i am planning on using an acoustically transparent screen, and want two rows of theater chairs & a 3rd row 'bar' type thing.  so, having 18"+ deep speakers in the front behind the screen 'pushes' everything 'back', constraining space more than i would like.   this also likely allows me to avoid 'columns' in my theater or at least 'deep' columns.

so, my current plans are to get one of two sets of speakers...

klipsch:  3 kl-7800 for front l/c/r; 4 ks-7800 for surround/rear l/r
definitive technologies: 3 uiw rls ii for front l/c/r; 4 uiw rss ii for surround/rear l/r

the klipsch option would run me about $2,900 and the definitive technologies about $2,600, so ball park similar range in cost.

listening will likely be 95%+ for home theater.   

i haven't decided on sub's yet, but am leaning against the 'in wall' options for subs.   for simplicity, let's say the decision above does not impact my decision on a sub's (i.e., won't make me spend $300 less on a sub if i choose klipsch in walls).

i am not overly knowledgeable in this area, so, if there is a hey for $2,500-$3,000 for 7 speakers, you really need to consider widget companies super widget line of speakers, i am open to that as well.

thanks in advance for your perspective.

kevin

أرسلت من gt-s7262 بإستخدام تاباتلك

1 - 8 of 8 Posts