AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

this is my first post here but I´ve been reading the forum for some time.

I just moved to a loft with big rooms and I need to buy a new home theater set up.

Before I moved here I had a 10 year old 5.1 JBL+Onkyo set up and I was happy with it.

THe new room is like 14x27 and really tall ceilings.

I've narrowed my selection list to this information after testing a few speakers and reading reviews:

I tried the B&W 600 series which are like $1100 and I was not satisfied AT ALL. Really bad for me, the sound was very monochromatic, muddy. Then I tried the B&W CM9 and I LOVED THEM. The kind of sound I´m looking for... but they are too expensive ($1500 each tower) for my budget.

The Aperion Grand tower costs way less, $900 and everybody agrees they are better than the CM9. But I haven't tried these.

Still too pricey when you put together the 5.1 set up, which goes up to $4K.

The next product in line in Aperion are the 5T tower, for $500. But the guys at aperion said it could be just a bit small for my room and they´re definately not as good as the Grand towers.

After reading some reviews I then jumped to the Klipsch RF-82II which have a nice price in amazon if you don´t get the Klipsch subwoofer ($1K less = $2500 instead of $3500). This is about the same price as the 5T 5.1 system from Aperion. But it´s hard to find comparison reviews about these speakers.

In case of returns:

Aperion offers 30 day risk free purchase. But it will almost probably mean I should have to spend 4 grand...

At amazon, I would have to pay for the delivery back, which could be a LOT considering the weight of the speakers, so it means basically I would have to keep them if I don´t like them.

But if the set up ends up costing $2.5K and close enough to the Grand towers they will be probably worth it.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Are you talking speakers only, or AV-rec and speakers? For 3000 dollars, you will have a lot of options, but with a room that big, I will defer to the experts as to which other speakers you might consider!

·
Registered
12,100 Posts
I think those Aperion speakers would be underpowered. Is this mostly for home theater usage, or music?

I would lean towards the Klipsch RF82 towers and the RF62 center. Then get some RS41 or RS42 surrounds.

Sounddistributors.com is an authorized Klipsch dealer and they have some good deals. Call to get the best pricing.

For subwoofer, look to eD, HSU, Epik, etc. In your room you may want something like this:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_...roducts_id=618

The HSU VTF-15 is another great sub. Or consider dual Epik Legends which would be a little over $900 shipped if you can stretch the budget.

For a subwoofer, I would go with something beefy. An

·
Registered
738 Posts
You seem to have the same impression of the 600 series that I did. I ended up with Klipsch RF-82s and RC-62. I then moved up to some (used) RF-83s and RC-64. I couldn't be happier (unless I find a new home for my 82s)!!!

I do strongly urge you to look for local retailers for Klipsch. I found one with a limited selection, but they did have some Reference line. Then I found one that didn't advertise HT sound. It's a pro-audio shop that goes more by word-of-mouth to keep the riff-raff from "just browsing."

Point is, you really need to find a place to hear Klipsch because many people dislike the sound. Worst case, you should be able to listen to the cheaper Klipsches at Best Buy, and compare them to the similarly priced Polk that they sell. Though it won't tell you what the Klipsch Reference sound like, you'll get a good comparison of the sound difference between Klipsch and non-horn speakers.

Once you determine that you really like Klipsch, start shopping the used market. You can get really nice speakers for much less than they would cost new. If you got some of the previous model RF-82s and RC-62, they'd probably run you around $1k, then figure $500-700 for the matching surrounds. That leaves plenty of cash for a good sub!!

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
For $1300 per pair, I would suggest the PSB Image T6 speakers, which to my ears sound much better than the Klipsch.

Stereophile and The Absolute sound both rated them best in their price class. I had them for two years and they are hard to beat.

The PSB Image C4 and B4 can be used to round out the system within that price.

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
I don't know, Shady...they might have a 2.5 year return policy!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.