AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting the upgrade bug. Klipsch RC-7 with their their RSW-15 monster sub or wait for black rockets and SVS sub. Just curious about any others that have considered these or have actually a/b'd them. I have been able to listen to the Klipsch and I like their clairity for dialog on movies. Of course the explosions arent bad either. I happen to like bright speakers. Mainly watch movies and about 10-15% music. Thanks

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If you like 'em bright you might be better off with the Klipsch speakers. Before I sold them I did A/B my Klipsch RF-3's against my Rockets and they were quite a bit brighter. By the same token, the Rockets lack no clarity or detail by any measure, they're just less of an "in your face" kind of speaker with a very natural sounding balance.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
MRL,

I have the RF-7's with the RSW-15. Get them. You will not be disappointed. I prefer to hear all of the clarity in a track which the Rockets will not give you. While the Rockets are a good bang for the buck why not pay the $$$ and go with the RF-7's and step up to the next level. I was able to get the RF-7 7.1 setup with the RSW-15 for $3100.00. The break in period is about 50 hours. After that, everyone who has come by to listen to them has been blown away including Rocket, B&W and Boston Acc. owners. I even had one friend return his speakers after listening to mine and he went with the Klipsch. I am using the Pioneer VSX-49TXi receiver. Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kippjones... can you email me with where you got that price... I am assuming you got the RF-7's, RC-7's, RS-7's and a RSW-15... The best I have found so far is $3800. Thanks... I am not one to quibble over a hundred dollars if it means being able to go to my brick and mortar store here but thats a $700 difference. Thanks

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
MRL,

I have the RF-7's with the RSW-15. Get them. You will not be disappointed. I prefer to hear all of the clarity in a track which the Rockets will not give you. While the Rockets are a good bang for the buck why not pay the $$$ and go with the RF-7's and step up to the next level. I was able to get the RF-7 7.1 setup with the RSW-15 for $3100.00. The break in period is about 50 hours. After that, everyone who has come by to listen to them has been blown away including Rocket, B&W and Boston Acc. owners. I even had one friend return his speakers after listening to mine and he went with the Klipsch. I am using the Pioneer VSX-49TXi receiver. Let us know how it goes.
That's very enthusiastic recommendation, however the idea that the Klipsch speakers are a "step up" from the Rockets is very misleading. Much of the cost of Klipsch comes via dealer mark-up which is nearly 100% if you're looking at full MSRP. When it comes to cabinet construction, design, and components...it's certainly debatable who has the edge but my own observations would easily give the Rockets the upper hand in these categories. However all that aside, the bottom line is they're two very different sounding speaker lines suited for different tastes, with neither sounding clearly superior to the other to all listeners.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I'd rather have green Rockets than step down to the Klipsch's. :D

A friend of mine has the RF 7's, and the best thing about listening to them at his house is I get to leave. The sub is not in the same league as the SVS 25 31-PCi either. If you have to have black, consider the Axiom line. I think they can be had in black, and your ears will thank you.

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
That's very enthusiastic recommendation, however the idea that the Klipsch speakers are a "step up" from the Rockets is very misleading. Much of the cost of Klipsch comes via dealer mark-up which is nearly 100% if you're looking at full MSRP. When it comes to cabinet construction, design, and components...it's certainly debatable who has the edge but my own observations would easily give the Rockets the upper hand in these categories. However all that aside, the bottom line is they're two very different sounding speaker lines suited for different tastes, with neither sounding clearly superior to the other to all listeners.

Quote:
I'd rather have green Rockets than step down to the Klipsch's.
Typical response from the Rocket crowd as they are Rockets or nothing. Again, Rockets are good bang for the buck speakers but not up to the same level as Klipsch, Boston, Sonus Faber, Martin Logan and so on. They simply can't match the performance.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The best you can do is listen for yourself. Some people just hate Klipsch, it is kind of funny. If they don't like them is ok, but when they start to bash you know there are problems somewhere... and is not in the speakers! :D

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Oh shucks, I was just about to make an attempt at enlightening him, but sometimes reason falls on deaf ears, so I agree with you here Bigwally. I'm out as well. :) Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I did not want this to turn into a bashing thread mearly one for ideas and for my learning. How about some comments with some real facts that one may make a wise decision from?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Facts are the tough part, MRL. Once you get past speaker construction and component quality, all you have left are opinions of the sound to work with.

I've owned Klipsch speakers twice. In the early 80's I had a pair of Cornwalls which I enjoyed immensely, but once CD's started taking over my music collection I found them too strident for extended listening sessions, so I changed to a pair of RTR Series III's. These kept me happy for a couple of years but then I moved on again. My second round with Klipsch was when the Reference Series came out a few years ago. The word was they'd toned down the mids and highs compared to my older models, so I thought I'd give them another shot as I did like the transient attack horns offer. I bought a pair of RF-3's, a C-3 center, and a pair of KSF 10.5's for the surrounds. I really did enjoy them for a few months but eventually the hump in the 2-4 kHz range and the horn coloration of voices got me moving in another direction. I was using the speakers, as I do now, mainly for music with HT just coming along for the ride, so my priorities were different than yours. If my focus had been on HT I might still have them as they were easily up to that task. As things did turn out, I ended up changing to a set of Swans Divas and then the Onix Rockets and have been very happy with both (still using both in different rooms). The Rockets have a very natural sound relatively devoid of coloration for box speakers, great mid-bass punch, and a strong ability to convey microdynamics and detail without causing listener fatigue. Compared to the Klipschs they also offer a wider soundstage and deeper imaging qualities.

On the other hand there are many who fall in love with the unique Klipsch sound and never are satisfied by anything else. If you have spent much time with the Klipschs and are still this interested, you may be one of them. Nothing wrong with that, there's a speaker out there for just about every taste in sound and Klipsch speakers have always been among the best and most involving for what they do.

Do you know about www.audioenvy.com? On this site you can sign up for a Rocket audition if there's someone in your area with them. If that works out, I think you'll like what you hear. Otherwise you'd have to order them and hear for yourself if they suit you, but of course you'll eat some shipping if you don't. That's the downside of the direct marketing model, but of course the upside is that one is able to save quite a bit of money over what they'd cost in a retail environment.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MRL
I am getting the upgrade bug. Klipsch RC-7 with their their RSW-15 monster sub or wait for black rockets and SVS sub. Just curious about any others that have considered these or have actually a/b'd them. I have been able to listen to the Klipsch and I like their clairity for dialog on movies. Of course the explosions arent bad either. I happen to like bright speakers. Mainly watch movies and about 10-15% music. Thanks
Thanks for asking... :)

My humble suggestion to you would be to read up on both products... and if you get a moment take a read on audiorevolution.com today ( I think) on the Rocket review that is about to be published...

Rockets are being compared all over the world to the likes of Revel, Paradigm, DEF Tech and others that are quite a bit more expensive than our product... People are mightily impressed...

Klipsch loudspeakers offer a different sort of sonic signature that for many tends to be bright... but they do have legions of followers all over the world as well... Klipsch is a very good brand... and from what I know about them... a very nice company to deal with...

Margins and pricing aside... We think our product will stand the test of time... over a wide variety of applications and source material... Buying for today is fine... but over the long haul... buy a speaker that can be your best friend for years to come... and as your tastes and system improves...

Wishing you all the very best...

mls

PS... ever wonder why the Rocket crowd is SO enthusiastic about their speakers... ask yourself that question also...

:)

BTW --- I'm leaving for China on the 9th of December to finalize the production details on many issues... Ebony Rockets are on that list...

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by kippjones
MRL,

kippjones...

Should YOU really be interested in listening to the Rockets just let me know... After we clear out the back order... I'm sure I could arrange something for you...

[email protected]**********

Thanks so much...

All the best...

mls

·
Premium Member
11,868 Posts
Quote:
PS... ever wonder why the Rocket crowd is SO enthusiastic about their speakers... ask yourself that question also...
Yeah, they are just like the Bose crowd.:D

Quote:
Should YOU really be interested in listening to the Rockets just let me know... After we clear out the back order... I'm sure I could arrange something for you...
BTDT:p

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Whoa! Stop the Clock. I'm deducting 1 penalty point for hitting below the belt.

(...signals to the judges)

OK - start the clock.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
They cabinets are built and final assembly takes place in China.

You should check them out sometime, the cabinetry is as exquisite as the sound.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.