AVS Forum banner

57441 - 57460 of 59388 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was looking to get some speakers for Dolby Atmos.

As I have Klipsch for my fronts, center, surrounds, and SW, was looking at Klipsch for the Atmos. (I know I don't have to, but just figured I'd make them match)

Wasn't sure if I should do something like RP-140SA and mount them facing up on top of my fronts, or mount them facing down somewhere on the front wall.

Or if I should go for in-ceiling like CDT-5800-C or the Klipsch CDT-5650-C

Any thoughts?

Right now my surrounds are in line with a row of seats, and wasn't sure where I should put in-ceilings either (above my seats?)

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I was looking to get some speakers for Dolby Atmos.

As I have Klipsch for my fronts, center, surrounds, and SW, was looking at Klipsch for the Atmos. (I know I don't have to, but just figured I'd make them match)

Wasn't sure if I should do something like RP-140SA and mount them facing up on top of my fronts, or mount them facing down somewhere on the front wall.

Or if I should go for in-ceiling like CDT-5800-C or the Klipsch CDT-5650-C

Any thoughts?

Right now my surrounds are in line with a row of seats, and wasn't sure where I should put in-ceilings either (above my seats?)

Thanks!
The most effective in this order: (1) in ceiling (2) front & rear heights (3) Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers (DAES)...upfiring, reflective, bouncy types.

Assuming 4 Atmos speakers, the guideline for "in-ceiling" locations are 45 degrees in front of (TF) and 45 degrees behind (TR) the MLP....an easy way to do this is measure vertically from your ears to ceiling and use this same distance fore and aft...see diagram below:

Atmos_Speaker_Placement.jpg

If using 2 Atmos speakers...located them directly over (TM) or slightly in front of the MLP.

Reactions: mdcubsfan

·
Registered
48 Posts
The most effective in this order: (1) in ceiling (2) front & rear heights (3) Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers (DAES)...upfiring, reflective, bouncy types.

Assuming 4 Atmos speakers, the guideline for "in-ceiling" locations are 45 degrees in front of (TF) and 45 degrees behind (TR) the MLP....an easy way to do this is measure vertically from your ears to ceiling and use this same distance fore and aft...see diagram below:

View attachment 2524450

If using 2 Atmos speakers...located them directly over (TM) or slightly in front of the MLP.
Thanks! And are the Klipsch CDT-5800-C or 5650 pretty good if I'm running RF 82, RC 62, and RS 52? Or should I go for something cheaper or more expensive (my AV guy was recommending Episode)?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I used (4) cdt-5800 ii, they do the job well, I don’t think you need to spend more than what those cost, as there isn’t a ton of info being sent to them.

Also if you listen to music in multi-channel stereo, no signal is sent to them, so you don’t need to worry about very strong signals being sent to them, IMO the 5800 are plenty good.

My other speakers: 280fa, 450ca, 160m, 250s and a pair of SVS pb-4000. The CDT worked fine imo.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Thanks! And are the Klipsch CDT-5800-C or 5650 pretty good if I'm running RF 82, RC 62, and RS 52? Or should I go for something cheaper or more expensive (my AV guy was recommending Episode)?
The "majority" of Atmos content is not demanding in terms of frequency response and power handling...primarily ambience sounds and effects...i.e. wind, rain, birds, insects, etc. Aircraft, explosions, gunfire,thunder, etc. are the domain of the sub. Generally speaking, wider dispersion monopole speakers are recommended. Although not a popular position, IMO, inexpensive speakers will provide good performance and spending more is only overkill. I originally purchased inexpensive speakers several years ago with the purpose of learning what the "real life" demands were for Atmos and then replace them with upscale speakers. To my surprise, the inexpensive speakers performed very well and to this date, there is no compelling reason to replace them. I also understand that enthusiasts proceed with old school thoughts of having to match their L,C,R's in terms of timbre or quality or cost or whatever. Sales and marketing folks will have you believe otherwise but in my experience and opinion, it just ain't necessary to spend extravagantly. I sometimes chuckle because I have a $4000 front stage with a $40 Atmos stage. Bottom line, if you feel a need to "match" your mains for any reason, I am in agreement with 084runnerltd, the 5800's are fine speakers, but you definitely/absolutely do not need to spend more. You may also want to see my recent posting...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/680426-klipsch-owner-thread-1913.html#post57554698

Note: Installers and "AV guys" recommend speakers they can get at good margins. The episodes are no better or worse than most other brands.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I am going to use 4 R-620Fs as front and rears. R-10SWi sub, R-34C center and 2 Klipsch in ceiling Atmos speakers. 82" LG TV and Yamaha Aventage A880 receiver. I know it is all low end, but after finishing the basement funds were tight.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I am going to use 4 R-620Fs as front and rears. R-10SWi sub, R-34C center and 2 Klipsch in ceiling Atmos speakers. 82" LG TV and Yamaha Aventage A880 receiver. I know it is all low end, but after finishing the basement funds were tight.
Congrats! We all started somewhere! Your system will sound great....and miles ahead of a soundbar!:) As you progress on this journey of ours, keep in mind the rule of thumb or conventional wisdom in this hobby: Allocated the greater portion of the funds toward the best speakers your budget allows. Speaker technology and performance does not change significantly over time and hold their value well Alternatively, electronics change rapidly and lose their value quickly. Welcome and enjoy your new system!

Reactions: MTMSPA

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hey guys!

I'm about to upgrade my main 5 channels with two SVS Prime Bookshelfs (fronts), two Prime Satellites (rears) and a Prime Center, but I've been having second thoughts looking at Klipsch speakers. And since Klipsch lineup us more diverse I've got a bit lost in it.

What I would like to figure out is this - in the same price range as the SVSs I mentioned above (around $1200 for all five), is it possible to assemble a comparable or better Klipsch system? Based on your own experiences if you had a chance to listen to these SVS speakers and compare them to whatever Klipsches fit my budget. If it is then what are your recommendations?

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Synergy S-20 Mounting

I have the Synergy S-20s as my side surrounds, and I am having trouble mounting them. The spot where they go is a narrow stretch of wall between a window and the fireplace, so I would rather have them extended from the wall slightly. I first bought the monoprice mounts (https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Profile-Capacity-Speaker-Brackets-x/dp/B00KFSP82C/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1550009182&sr=1-3&keywords=monoprice+speaker+mount), but they keyhole adapter seems to be junk. I can't tighten it in the mount at all, so the speaker would be barely dangling on the mount and could easily be knocked off.

Next, from a recommendation earlier in this thread I believe, I bought the Mount Its from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSA2Y18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). But, they don't have a keyhole mount adapter... so I'll file those away to use on something else.

I see the flatter OmniMount 15s (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015ZORL98/ref=psdc_3236443011_t5_B00CSA2Y18), but $26 seems like a lot of money for something I can do with a wood screw. If I understand everything I have learned here correctly, it would be better to sonically remove the speaker from the wall though, so I would prefer to have a mount instead of just hanging on a screw by itself.

What do you recommend for the S-20s? I can mount onto drywall or stud at this position.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey guys!

I'm about to upgrade my main 5 channels with two SVS Prime Bookshelfs (fronts), two Prime Satellites (rears) and a Prime Center, but I've been having second thoughts looking at Klipsch speakers. And since Klipsch lineup us more diverse I've got a bit lost in it.

What I would like to figure out is this - in the same price range as the SVSs I mentioned above (around $1200 for all five), is it possible to assemble a comparable or better Klipsch system? Based on your own experiences if you had a chance to listen to these SVS speakers and compare them to whatever Klipsches fit my budget. If it is then what are your recommendations?
Around here the SVS Prime bookshelves aren't recommended a whole lot because I believe there are other better options for the money. If you're serious about them I'd start a separate thread asking for recommendations. There will be many, lol. That said, if Klipsch catches your eye, I'd suggest looking into the Reference Premiere line. It's the one that would compete with the SVS Prime.. but yes, I'd say the Klipsch are better. :D Right now you may be able to find the outgoing RP line for a discount still.. but they're almost all gone.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I have the Synergy S-20s as my side surrounds, and I am having trouble mounting them. The spot where they go is a narrow stretch of wall between a window and the fireplace, so I would rather have them extended from the wall slightly. I first bought the monoprice mounts (https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Profile-Capacity-Speaker-Brackets-x/dp/B00KFSP82C/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1550009182&sr=1-3&keywords=monoprice+speaker+mount), but they keyhole adapter seems to be junk. I can't tighten it in the mount at all, so the speaker would be barely dangling on the mount and could easily be knocked off.

Next, from a recommendation earlier in this thread I believe, I bought the Mount Its from Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CSA2Y18/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05__o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). But, they don't have a keyhole mount adapter... so I'll file those away to use on something else.

I see the flatter OmniMount 15s (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015ZORL98/ref=psdc_3236443011_t5_B00CSA2Y18), but $26 seems like a lot of money for something I can do with a wood screw. If I understand everything I have learned here correctly, it would be better to sonically remove the speaker from the wall though, so I would prefer to have a mount instead of just hanging on a screw by itself.

What do you recommend for the S-20s? I can mount onto drywall or stud at this position.
Ironically, I use the monoprice ones you say are junk, with the same Synergy speaker you are trying to use them on. I've experienced no issue with mine and they have held up on my wall for years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used (4) cdt-5800 ii, they do the job well, I don’t think you need to spend more than what those cost, as there isn’t a ton of info being sent to them.

Also if you listen to music in multi-channel stereo, no signal is sent to them, so you don’t need to worry about very strong signals being sent to them, IMO the 5800 are plenty good.

My other speakers: 280fa, 450ca, 160m, 250s and a pair of SVS pb-4000. The CDT worked fine imo.

The "majority" of Atmos content is not demanding in terms of frequency response and power handling...primarily ambience sounds and effects...i.e. wind, rain, birds, insects, etc. Aircraft, explosions, gunfire,thunder, etc. are the domain of the sub. Generally speaking, wider dispersion monopole speakers are recommended. Although not a popular position, IMO, inexpensive speakers will provide good performance and spending more is only overkill. I originally purchased inexpensive speakers several years ago with the purpose of learning what the "real life" demands were for Atmos and then replace them with upscale speakers. To my surprise, the inexpensive speakers performed very well and to this date, there is no compelling reason to replace them. I also understand that enthusiasts proceed with old school thoughts of having to match their L,C,R's in terms of timbre or quality or cost or whatever. Sales and marketing folks will have you believe otherwise but in my experience and opinion, it just ain't necessary to spend extravagantly. I sometimes chuckle because I have a $4000 front stage with a $40 Atmos stage. Bottom line, if you feel a need to "match" your mains for any reason, I am in agreement with 084runnerltd, the 5800's are fine speakers, but you definitely/absolutely do not need to spend more. You may also want to see my recent posting...

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/680426-klipsch-owner-thread-1913.html#post57554698

Note: Installers and "AV guys" recommend speakers they can get at good margins. The episodes are no better or worse than most other brands.
Thanks so much for the tips and suggestions - I think I'll end up getting the 5800 - I called Klipsch and they said it "matched" my other reference line speakers. And I guess I am just that OCD to match it, although I completely appreciate gene4ht other post suggesting different options. I see the 5800 for about $200 each on ebay/ amazon so I'll probably go that route, since this is not an expense I think I'll need to upgrade in the future. Appreciate all the help and look forward to Atmos!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks so much for the tips and suggestions - I think I'll end up getting the 5800 - I called Klipsch and they said it "matched" my other reference line speakers. And I guess I am just that OCD to match it, although I completely appreciate gene4ht other post suggesting different options. I see the 5800 for about $200 each on ebay/ amazon so I'll probably go that route, since this is not an expense I think I'll need to upgrade in the future. Appreciate all the help and look forward to Atmos!

I sent you a PM for the guy who has saved me literally thousands of dollars on my Klipsch and SVS purchases.

I don’t know him personally, other than talking on the phone, but nobody competes with his pricing.

·
Registered
148 Posts

I agree, Atmos is definitely not demanding and I am sure a less speaker would suffice.

I am the guy who foolishly always thinks, “I wonder how much better it would be if I bought ...XYZ...”

I had no installer or home theater place recommend anything to me. However, I knew if I installed the Monoprice speakers that I had laying in the basement (too expensive to return), I would always wonder how much better it would have been....

Anyway, like most people say, Atmos is not going to “blow you away.” However, when you listen to stuff that is non-Atmos, it seems like it is missing something.

I am sure you would be happy with a lesser speaker, but with the cdt-5800 ii you don’t have to worry, “what if.....”

Good luck with whatever you buy.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I sent you a PM for the guy who has saved me literally thousands of dollars on my Klipsch and SVS purchases.

I don’t know him personally, other than talking on the phone, but nobody competes with his pricing.
Could you please pass that info along to me as well? I'd appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Ironically, I use the monoprice ones you say are junk, with the same Synergy speaker you are trying to use them on. I've experienced no issue with mine and they have held up on my wall for years.
Wow - then maybe I'm doing it wrong! When I put the keyhole adapter in, I can't tighten the bolt. It's loose and doesn't look like it will hold at all without vibration unscrewing it over time. If I tighten it, the adapter won't fit into the keyhole on the speaker! I'll revisit it and see what I can do. Maybe I can post a picture and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I would love for this to be user error.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
I'm looking to buy rp140sa used. If anybody has a pair, message me. Forgive me if I'm breaking rules by asking.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Wow - then maybe I'm doing it wrong! When I put the keyhole adapter in, I can't tighten the bolt. It's loose and doesn't look like it will hold at all without vibration unscrewing it over time. If I tighten it, the adapter won't fit into the keyhole on the speaker! I'll revisit it and see what I can do. Maybe I can post a picture and you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. I would love for this to be user error.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Here are two pictures showing how mine are connected. Sorry they arent the best as there isnt much space behind the speaker. Hopefully this will help you.

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
Here are two pictures showing how mine are connected. Sorry they arent the best as there isnt much space behind the speaker. Hopefully this will help you.

Yes - it will. Thank you! In the second picture, I could not get the keyhole adapter to stick out far enough to hold the speaker. I'll revisit that tonight and see if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Just for fun, I also submitted a request to Monoprice's customer service to see if they have any hints.

I appreciate the effort! I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

Have to agree. installed six CDT-5800II's and they are plenty for Atmos. Nothing lacking in the overheads- even in the most demanding soundtracks.

Attachments

57441 - 57460 of 59388 Posts