AVS Forum banner

58041 - 58060 of 59388 Posts

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Not perfect? Man, it looks like paradise!
I guess I expect people to mention his cement floor in the basement. They get sooooo much traffic and eat in there, he didn't want to install carpet. Just makes for more reflections due to hard surfaces.

He built the custom cabinet in my theater with the lower section on rails so I can easily get behind my equipment to swap out components and a 150" screen that raises and is supported by gas shocks so I can easily get to my speakers.

Here is a tour of my LaScala Trio Theater Room

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have 3.0 ch system currently with r51m's for front left/right and a 404c for center. Looking into getting atmos. I have a couple limitations for my setup: can't have a subwoofer because I have a tenant in an apartment in my house without soundproofing. CAN do rear surround but rather not run wires under my couch so for now i want a 3.0.2 ch system for atmos content if that would make a reasonably acceptable movie watching experience. I also can't mount speakers on the wall or ceiling so need upward firing. Was looking at either the reference r-41sa or the reference premier rp 500sa. Would the extra $100 cost make a noticeable improvement getting the rp's? Does the extra power make a difference for upward firing atmos speakers?

my avr is also the costco yamaha tsr 7850

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
I have 3.0 ch system currently with r51m's for front left/right and a 404c for center. Looking into getting atmos. I have a couple limitations for my setup: can't have a subwoofer because I have a tenant in an apartment in my house without soundproofing.
The absence of a subwoofer means you'll be missing an important aspect of what true home theater offers...typically the physical impact of action blockbuster movies. Keep in mind that a subwoofer need not necessarily be disturbing to a neighbor as its performance can be adjusted from mild to moderate to thunderous to accommodate the situation. As appropriate, you can periodically invite your tenant over for a movie or use your subwoofer at times when your tenant is out of the home.

CAN do rear surround but rather not run wires under my couch
Have you considered powered (wireless) surrounds?

so for now i want a 3.0.2 ch system for atmos content if that would make a reasonably acceptable movie watching experience. I also can't mount speakers on the wall or ceiling so need upward firing. Was looking at either the reference r-41sa or the reference premier rp 500sa. Would the extra $100 cost make a noticeable improvement getting the rp's? Does the extra power make a difference for upward firing atmos speakers?

Dolby Atmos Enabled Speakers (upfiring) were designed to accommodate situations with limitations and/or constraints. It's also recognized/acknowledged that the effectiveness of "upfiring" speakers is highly dependent of a room's physical properties, acoustic properties, and most importantly proper orientation and positioning relative to the MLP. Many have been able to obtain successful results while others have less successful results. Unfortunately, because of the many variables, it is difficult to predict the outcome. The most prudent course of action would be to experiment first with inexpensive speakers to establish a "baseline" performance and continue until you've attained an acceptable result.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Was looking at either the reference r-41sa or the reference premier rp 500sa. Would the extra $100 cost make a noticeable improvement getting the rp's? Does the extra power make a difference for upward firing atmos speakers?

You should buy a subwoofer and turn down the volume, because you are really missing important effects.

The upfiring was great for me, much more better than without. The 500SA is bigger, stonger and better, but for only Atmos, maybe you won't hear/feel the difference and you don't need the extra power (large room or loud usage). You can buy if you can, but the 41sa can be enough. I have 4xRP-140SA in a medium room and they are really good.

Reactions: crazepharmacist

·
Registered
37 Posts
Help please. A few months ago I jumped on deals for the Elac Uni-Fi L/R and center to eventually go into a 5.1.2 atmos set up. Now, when these Klipsch 625 went on sale I got them because they have the built in atmos modules and were on a huge sale. Can I use the Elac L/R as my rears or will this screw up the timbre i.e. Klipsch L, Uni-fi C, Klipsch R? Or should I buy the Klipsch 41m or 51m to put in the rears and get a Klipsch center so everything matches? Or...should I get the Elac Atmos modules and get some Elac B6 rears to go with my uni-fi L/C/R? Basically, which is the one I should be going with in my man cave. I can always just use the 625s as a 2.1.2 set up in another room if Elac is the way to go in the man cave. BTW I can't set up the system as we're in the process of moving but I have used the Elac's and loved them before boxing them up and am currently using the 625 as towers for my record player but can't say I've put them through the paces. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Help please. A few months ago I jumped on deals for the Elac Uni-Fi L/R and center to eventually go into a 5.1.2 atmos set up. Now, when these Klipsch 625 went on sale I got them because they have the built in atmos modules and were on a huge sale. Can I use the Elac L/R as my rears or will this screw up the timbre i.e. Klipsch L, Uni-fi C, Klipsch R? Or should I buy the Klipsch 41m or 51m to put in the rears and get a Klipsch center so everything matches? Or...should I get the Elac Atmos modules and get some Elac B6 rears to go with my uni-fi L/C/R? Basically, which is the one I should be going with in my man cave. I can always just use the 625s as a 2.1.2 set up in another room if Elac is the way to go in the man cave. BTW I can't set up the system as we're in the process of moving but I have used the Elac's and loved them before boxing them up and am currently using the 625 as towers for my record player but can't say I've put them through the paces. Thanks in advance
It looks like the speakers you bought are new R series speakers, so they should match with other new R series. I know older Klipsch R were bright, don't know if the newer ones are. You can try it before spending more money, but I suspect the Klipsch will be brighter, but I don't know that for a fact, or if it will be enough to be noticeable. Your ears are less sensitive to sounds behind you, so it's possible that you won't notice any difference.
If you just plan to watch TV/Movies, it probably won't be an issue, if you plan on listening to multi channel music, it might become an issue.
Might as well try it before spending more money is basically what I'm saying, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work for you.
Some people think the front 3 have to match, others don't, so that's also worth trying before spending more money. I think it's more important to match the front 3 than surrounds myself.
Especially if you have a receiver with Audyssey or something like that, it will tend to try to match the other speakers to the L/R, so that might be enough to smooth out any glaring differences.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It looks like the speakers you bought are new R series speakers, so they should match with other new R series. I know older Klipsch R were bright, don't know if the newer ones are. You can try it before spending more money, but I suspect the Klipsch will be brighter, but I don't know that for a fact, or if it will be enough to be noticeable. Your ears are less sensitive to sounds behind you, so it's possible that you won't notice any difference.
If you just plan to watch TV/Movies, it probably won't be an issue, if you plan on listening to multi channel music, it might become an issue.
Might as well try it before spending more money is basically what I'm saying, but don't be surprised if it doesn't work for you.
Some people think the front 3 have to match, others don't, so that's also worth trying before spending more money. I think it's more important to match the front 3 than surrounds myself.
Especially if you have a receiver with Audyssey or something like that, it will tend to try to match the other speakers to the L/R, so that might be enough to smooth out any glaring differences.
Thanks. I've got the Sony STR-DH790 and it does have calibration software. My main issue is if I use the R625fa as my L/R so I can get atmos, would a) the Elac Uni-Fi C5 end up causing timbre issues b) would the Elac Uni-Fi B5 be overkill as rear surrounds. I feel like I might just be better off getting a Klipsch center (which one?) and some Klipsch R41m for rear surrounds so everything matches. Or, get Elac atmos modules and some cheap surrounds like the Polk T15 and return/sell/move the R625fa into a different room.

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Thanks. I've got the Sony STR-DH790 and it does have calibration software. My main issue is if I use the R625fa as my L/R so I can get atmos, would a) the Elac Uni-Fi C5 end up causing timbre issues b) would the Elac Uni-Fi B5 be overkill as rear surrounds. I feel like I might just be better off getting a Klipsch center (which one?) and some Klipsch R41m for rear surrounds so everything matches. Or, get Elac atmos modules and some cheap surrounds like the Polk T15 and return/sell/move the R625fa into a different room.
If you like the sound of the Klipsch, I would stick with them, they will be able to play much more loudly than the Unifi bookshelves with the same power.
Get this for the center:
https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-52c-center-speaker
Not this:
It didn't review particular well because of the small woofers in the opinion of the reviewer, anyway. Plus, it costs more.
https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-34c-center-speaker

Ultimately, you need to be happy with what you have. I wouldn't want mis matched speakers, because it would be in the back of my head every time something sounded "wrong" that it might be mis matched speakers. People have different levels of sensitivity to the differences. Like I said, you are not nearly as sensitive to sounds behind you as in front, so it's possible you won't notice the difference if you put the unifi as surrounds. You won't know unless you try it. That being said, I'd ultimately want everything to be matchy matchy myself. My system is 100% Klipsch RP, although I'm going to use a different brand that I had laying around for Atmos since it's just effects.

I guess my point is you could try to mix them, and see how you like it. If you don't like it, make which ever speakers you like best the ones you buy matching speakers for. If you don't have a preference in sound, I'd go Klipsch because they will have more dynamic range and be able to play noticeably louder cleanly than the Elacs with the same power.

·
Registered
584 Posts
My system is 100% Klipsch RP, although I'm going to use a different brand that I had laying around for Atmos since it's just effects.
Do not underestimate Atmos' channels.I did that. I tried old Technics surrounds, Jamo's Bookshelves, RP140SA's. I am just happy now I have RP250S' as my Atmos' Day and Night.

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
If you like the sound of the Klipsch, I would stick with them, they will be able to play much more loudly than the Unifi bookshelves with the same power.
Get this for the center:
https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-52c-center-speaker
Not this:
It didn't review particular well because of the small woofers in the opinion of the reviewer, anyway. Plus, it costs more.
https://www.klipsch.com/products/r-34c-center-speaker

Ultimately, you need to be happy with what you have. I wouldn't want mis matched speakers, because it would be in the back of my head every time something sounded "wrong" that it might be mis matched speakers. People have different levels of sensitivity to the differences. Like I said, you are not nearly as sensitive to sounds behind you as in front, so it's possible you won't notice the difference if you put the unifi as surrounds. You won't know unless you try it. That being said, I'd ultimately want everything to be matchy matchy myself. My system is 100% Klipsch RP, although I'm going to use a different brand that I had laying around for Atmos since it's just effects.

I guess my point is you could try to mix them, and see how you like it. If you don't like it, make which ever speakers you like best the ones you buy matching speakers for. If you don't have a preference in sound, I'd go Klipsch because they will have more dynamic range and be able to play noticeably louder cleanly than the Elacs with the same power.
+1 This is ultimately the bottom line. Because audio and sound quality is personally subjective and highly dependent on a room’s physical and acoustic properties, it’s literally impossible to predict performance results based on other’s opinions, experiences, equipment, and environments.

Reactions: CaptinCrunch

·
Registered
342 Posts
Do not underestimate Atmos' channels.I did that. I tried old Technics surrounds, Jamo's Bookshelves, RP140SA's. I am just happy now I have RP250S' as my Atmos' Day and Night.
RP-250S for Atmos? How?

Reactions: LawCPA

·
Registered
808 Posts
Getting my new Pioneer 503 up and running today. I have 9 Klipsch speakers. I also have a second amp, an Emotiva XPA 5.

My plan is to drive my front and side speakers (2 RF 7's, a huge Klispch center speaker and 2 RF 82's on the side) using the Emotiva amp (200 watts per channel). My rear stage is made up of 2 RF 82's and RF 62's.

My rear stage will be driven by the Pioneer 503.

Does this seem right? Are there any reasons to instead have the 503 powering my front stage, and the Emotiva amp powering my rear stage? I could also have my Emotive powering my sides and rear. Of course Klipsch are more sensitive than most speakers but 9 of them will need serious power.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Getting my new Pioneer 503 up and running today. I have 9 Klipsch speakers. I also have a second amp, an Emotiva XPA 5.

My plan is to drive my front and side speakers (2 RF 7's, a huge Klispch center speaker and 2 RF 82's on the side) using the Emotiva amp (200 watts per channel). My rear stage is made up of 2 RF 82's and RF 62's.

My rear stage will be driven by the Pioneer 503.

Does this seem right? Are there any reasons to instead have the 503 powering my front stage, and the Emotiva amp powering my rear stage? I could also have my Emotive powering my sides and rear. Of course Klipsch are more sensitive than most speakers but 9 of them will need serious power.

Thanks
Your original thought is the correct one. The XPA is a MUCH more powerful amp with 200-300 wpc RMS depending on how it's used, while the Pioneer is only 120 wpc RMS, two channels driven. Rear speakers need less power in general

Reactions: Dr_jitsu

·
Registered
125 Posts
Currently running a 5.2.2 system. I have the 500sa as front heights.

How are the 500sa as side surround speakers? I'm currently running energy RS3's as a dipole speaker.

My couch is located right against the side wall so my dipoles are very high on the wall(7ft). I know I'm losing the atmos effect as the dipoles are too high. Will the 500sa help as a monopole?

Looking to switch to either the 500sa or 402s. 502s will be too big for the other side. Or should I just drop down the Energy's?

Also will be going with the 600m and 504c soon as well. Especially to get the sound over the couch.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
It sounds like you may have the RS-3: https://www.klipsch.com/products/rs-3-surround-speaker {EDIT: I misread the post and if you have the larger speaker in this design it would be the RS-7, which my guess is you don't because they are not very small--I have both}
Sorry for bringing this back up again but some people on Facebook Klipsch site are saying I don't have RS7 or RS3 rear surrounds because on both of those, the copper woofers have black dust caps. Mine are just copper woofers.

Here are some pics. Thanks for anyone's help to identify these rear surrounds!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
Looking to replace an old Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR 10 center channel with a Klipsch KP 500c based on good reviews and its ability to fit into my Video stand. The only problem is how will it work with my JBL 230 fronts? Ive never owned Klipsch because years back there was lots of talk about Klipsch being overly bright and sibilant which is last thing I need in a center channel in a small room. JBL centers are too large(19 width is most I can fit). Any feedback on my purchase of 500c would be greatly appreciated unless there is something else I should be looking at. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,748 Posts
Looking to replace an old Boston Acoustics Lynnfield VR 10 center channel with a Klipsch KP 500c based on good reviews and its ability to fit into my Video stand. The only problem is how will it work with my JBL 230 fronts? Ive never owned Klipsch because years back there was lots of talk about Klipsch being overly bright and sibilant which is last thing I need in a center channel in a small room. JBL centers are too large(19 width is most I can fit). Any feedback on my purchase of 500c would be greatly appreciated unless there is something else I should be looking at. Thanks
Buy it from Crutchfield, that way you only pay a small fee to ship it back if you don't like it. Unfortunately, I have no idea how close they are in timbre.

Reactions: mattg3
58041 - 58060 of 59388 Posts