AVS Forum banner

59321 - 59340 of 59390 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Getting rid of the shelf and I'll try the side walls first. Should they be as close to the wall as possible, or pulled away from the wall a bit?
Klipsch WDST speakers - closed enclosure - can be wall mounted, like most of the bookshelf speakers (RP-400/500/600), so you can push them to the wall, but if you can (or have to), leave some space behind them. It can be helpful if you use "back ported" speakers and won't cut them at 80Hz (so the air can flow at lower Hz).

Put them on the side walls adjacent to the MLP or a bit behind.

Sorry I don't remember which speaker is that, in your signature I see you have an RP-500M, but you asked about bipoles...

Edit: I see now, RP-250S, like my surrounds.

Reactions: HeisenbergABQ

·
Registered
141 Posts
Klipsch WDST speakers - closed enclosure - can be wall mounted, like most of the bookshelf speakers (RP-400/500/600), so you can push them to the wall, but if you can (or have to), leave some space behind them. It can be helpful if you use "back ported" speakers and won't cut them at 80Hz (so the air can flow at lower Hz).

Put them on the side walls adjacent to the MLP or a bit behind.

Sorry I don't remember which speaker is that, in your signature I see you have an RP-500M, but you asked about bipoles...

Edit: I see now, RP-250S, like my surrounds.
I still have the RP-500M's, but my 250's should be here soon. I'm probably going to do the sides, because I have a window with heavy blackout curtains on my right wall, and if I put them on the rear one of the tweeters and drivers would be firing into the curtain, which I would think might not be the best idea? Also, since the 250s don't have rear ports, distance from the wall shouldn't matter much, right?

·
Registered
342 Posts
I still have the RP-500M's, but my 250's should be here soon. I'm probably going to do the sides, because I have a window with heavy blackout curtains on my right wall, and if I put them on the rear one of the tweeters and drivers would be firing into the curtain, which I would think might not be the best idea? Also, since the 250s don't have rear ports, distance from the wall shouldn't matter much, right?

With that the wall won't be a problem.

"Put them on the side walls adjacent to the MLP or a bit behind." I meant adjacent - just a bit behind - the MLP >>> so around "in line" with the back of the couch/bed/chair - but on the side walls. Not 90', but 100-110'. Got it?

·
Registered
141 Posts
With that the wall won't be a problem.

"Put them on the side walls adjacent to the MLP or a bit behind." I meant adjacent - just a bit behind - the MLP >>> so around "in line" with the back of the couch/bed/chair - but on the side walls. Not 90', but 100-110'. Got it?
Thanks, I got it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I found almost nothing about the Quintet II speakers.
Would anyone know if they are good?
Thanks
The quintet I and II speakers are a relatively old design. 3.5 inch mids and a 1/2 tweeter if memory serves. I shopped these long ago when I was an apartment dweller to turn the spare bedroom into a one person theater. The Quintets are comically similar to the THX computer speakers Klipsch has been selling for decades. They have good clarity and output in the upper midrange (male voices on up). But they will lack impact in the lower mid range to mid bass area. Think like people punching each other in a fight soundtrack.

So in a small room with one or two smaller subs (with a 120hz or higher cross over point) you would probably be pretty happy with these for the price. However, a lot of innovation and products have filled the same price point that the Quintet speakers are/were at. So do some shopping.

Good luck

·
Registered
342 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
The quintet I and II speakers are a relatively old design. 3.5 inch mids and a 1/2 tweeter if memory serves. I shopped these long ago when I was an apartment dweller to turn the spare bedroom into a one person theater. The Quintets are comically similar to the THX computer speakers Klipsch has been selling for decades. They have good clarity and output in the upper midrange (male voices on up). But they will lack impact in the lower mid range to mid bass area. Think like people punching each other in a fight soundtrack.

So in a small room with one or two smaller subs (with a 120hz or higher cross over point) you would probably be pretty happy with these for the price. However, a lot of innovation and products have filled the same price point that the Quintet speakers are/were at. So do some shopping.

Good luck

First thank you for helping.

I bought Quintet II for $ 75 cad, because someone who was helping me said to go ahead "he told me it would just be ok".

I left the speakers in a box with a No-Pest Strip, just in case. I will test them in 30 days.

I don't know anything about HT, I'm new to it.

I also have two Klipsch subwoofers "R-100SW and RW-10D" which in theory can range from 30 hz to 120 Hz. Do you think it would be enough?

My room is small, I just thought that putting the speakers on the wall would make everything easier, but now I think I'm sacrificing the quality of the sound.

I’ll update in two years, that’s why I’m trying not to spend a lot of money right now.

Thank you very much.

·
Registered
992 Posts
One more question. If I decide to stick with 5.1 with the bi-poles, which of the following placements do you feel would work best?
#3 as the sound will bounce off the back wall and give you a more enveloped sound as if you had rear speakers

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
It should never be. That would cripple the dealer.

Are these discounts not passed on to the dealer? They just have to eat the loss in a sale? That doesn't seem right.

·
Premium Member
4,853 Posts
Are these discounts not passed on to the dealer? They just have to eat the loss in a sale? That doesn't seem right.
Yes and no. There are many variables to consider but I’m not going to reveal how the magician performs the magic.

However there is a brand that has a strong online presence and dealer base, NOT KLIPSCH, that walks this tightrope all the time. They attempt to give notice to dealers they say and allow them a better buy in cost. However it is no where near traditional margins.

Not much meat on the bone. So the dealer must decide if they want to make a dime vs a dollar...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I cannot seem to find any reviews of the Klipsch in wall speakers and am hoping to get some experienced advice. I have a pair of RB 75s I want to put to use in my greatroom. I do not have the space for a separate center channel, so thought I would go in wall. I am weighing my options between the klipsch pro-250rpw and klipsch thx-504-L.

Has anyone heard these? What were your impressions? Are there any issues with mixing Klipsch THX line with their Reference series?

I am open to alternative manufacturers as well. Really just looking for the best in wall center channel or possibly on wall for under 1100. Klipsch recommended the 250rpw to match the rb75, but I saw the 504 and thought "but 4 woofers are surely better than 2!"

Any wisdom the community can share is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,780 Posts
I cannot seem to find any reviews of the Klipsch in wall speakers and am hoping to get some experienced advice. I have a pair of RB 75s I want to put to use in my greatroom. I do not have the space for a separate center channel, so thought I would go in wall. I am weighing my options between the klipsch pro-250rpw and klipsch thx-504-L.

Has anyone heard these? What were your impressions? Are there any issues with mixing Klipsch THX line with their Reference series?

I am open to alternative manufacturers as well. Really just looking for the best in wall center channel or possibly on wall for under 1100. Klipsch recommended the 250rpw to match the rb75, but I saw the 504 and thought "but 4 woofers are surely better than 2!"

Any wisdom the community can share is appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
This is just a guess, but the RP series is less bright than older Klipsch speakers, so I wouldn't be surprised if the THX ones match a little better. Make sure you shop around, I noticed wildly varying prices for the speakers. Amazon is selling the pro-250RPW for $1000:eek: Again, another guess, but I'll bet they are using the same components as the RP-250c or RP-500c, which are much, much less expensive.

Reactions: lwsplking

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am hoping you can help me decide what to do (if anything). Here is my situation.

The MLP is about 10' from the screen and L/C/R. See attached layout and photos of basement.

Basement has 9' ceilings and is 5400 cubic feet with open steps to main level. I am currently running 5.1.2.

Speaker List:

Klipsch Icon KF-28 = L/R
Klipsch Icon KC-24 = CTR
Klipsch Icon KB-18 = Rear L/R
Klipsch R-1650-C = 2 in-ceiling atmos
Outlaw Ultra X-12 = SUB
Denon AVR-4200W

We got new furniture and the desk my rear right bookshelf speaker at is no more (you'll see it on floor in photos). So, I thought, "hey, maybe this is a good idea." I would buy a new L/C/R, move my existing L/R to rear surrounds, then get two stands for my bookshelf speakers to place behind couch, then I'd be running 7.1.2. So I've been wondering if this is a good idea, and which L/C/R to purchase.

I have listened to the RP-8000f at my local dealer. They seem good. I can get a pair of RP-8000f for $1034 ($517 each) starting August 17th. Pair those with a 504c center channel for $749 = total $1,783.

I do not want to do a minor upgrade/lateral move, and then think "I wish I would've gone better."

So I've starting thinking about other options:
RF-7's are $1800 each = $3600 + RC-64 iii = $1500 = $5100 total.
Power Sound Audio MTM-210T = $1175 each = $2,350 + MTM-210C at $975 = $3,325.

Questions:
Is the RP-8000f that big of an upgrade over my Icon series?
Am I sitting too close (about 10 feet) for such big speakers as the RF-7's or PSA MTM-210s?
We are in our forever home. Wife will be good with whatever I buy. I don't want to half-ass it. But I don't want to go too high up the $$$$ curve. My goal would be to get the best high quality / near-audiophile speaker for the money, without going insane into the $ for diminishing returns, and not questioning if I want to upgrade again. I want to say, "yup, this is great, no need to even consider upgrading, these will last me 20 years."
I realize I am in the Klipsch thread. I have been happy with my Icons. I am not an audiophile. Will I notice a difference, and head to head, RP-8000, RF-7, or PSA MTM-210s?
If I get the PSA for my L/C/R, do I need to worry about their sound matching my four Icons which will still run surround and rear channels?

Let me know if you need anything else, and thank you for your consideration.

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I thought my 450C had arrived today when I saw a massive box on my front porch, but when I opened it it was 504C! Apparently they were out, so they upgraded me free of charge! Huge thank you to sound distributors on Amazon!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hello Folks,

I just upgraded my Full Klipsch system with a Rhythmik sub and I need help with settings from the MCACC calibration

The MCACC calibration set my Klipsch system to the following settings:

Fronts: Large
Height : small
Center : small
Surrounds : Large
Rear Surrounds: small

Crossover 150 hz

So my question is, is it okay to set the Crossover back down to 80hz and set ALL to small? The reason I ask is I read a guide somewhere that said not to lower the Crossover setting set by the calibration system no matter what, because it was bad for the speakers, it's okay to increase but not lower. Can someone confirm?

Second : if it's okay to adjust back to small/80hz, is 80hz the sweet/best setting for my speakers/setup?

Fronts+ Height(atmos): R-625FA

Center: RC-62II

Side Surrounds: RP-502S

Rear Surrounds: R-51M

Subwoofer: FV15HP

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503

Usage: Home Theater 95% of the time

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Hello Folks,

I just upgraded my Full Klipsch system with a Rhythmik sub and I need help with settings from the MCACC calibration

The MCACC calibration set my Klipsch system to the following settings:

Fronts: Large
Height : small
Center : small
Surrounds : Large
Rear Surrounds: small

Crossover 150 hz

So my question is, is it okay to set the Crossover back down to 80hz and set ALL to small? The reason I ask is I read a guide somewhere that said not to lower the Crossover setting set by the calibration system no matter what, because it was bad for the speakers, it's okay to increase but not lower. Can someone confirm?

Second : if it's okay to adjust back to small/80hz, is 80hz the sweet/best setting for my speakers/setup?

Fronts+ Height(atmos): R-625FA

Center: RC-62II

Side Surrounds: RP-502S

Rear Surrounds: R-51M

Subwoofer: FV15HP

Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-LX503

Usage: Home Theater 95% of the time
No, anything below the set crossover has not been equalized. Most likely you need to re-run the calibration. Did you use a mic stand? What speakers did it set a 150 hz?

Reactions: darkshadoku

·
Registered
82 Posts
No, anything below the set crossover has not been equalized. Most likely you need to re-run the calibration. Did you use a mic stand? What speakers did it set a 150 hz?
I previously had them set to 80hz / small with my previous sub but when i ran with the new one it set to 150 hz.. As for which were set to 150 hz, I have no idea, all it said was "cross over setting 150hz" at the bottom, and the size of each speaker was shown above. I Don't have a mic stand so i usually hold it at ear level without moving (what I've always done) or set it on an extra speaker stand which also sits at ear level (while viewing) which is also the direct path / center of both the surround speakers.

Would you recommend changing the settings and running again? or Leave the settings as is and run it once again?

59321 - 59340 of 59390 Posts