AVS Forum banner

59561 - 59580 of 59609 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

First time poster, longtime follower. I think I already know the answer, but consider myself somewhat of a novice & wanted to hear your thoughts. I have the Denon 3700 & am looking to upgrade to the Reference Premier speakers (2 RP-280, 1 RP-450c, 2 RP-160m) and wanted to be sure the 3700 is capable of handling them. I know they are very efficient speakers, but looking to get reference levels for movies with no clipping/distortion. Eventually I plan to get an external amp to power the LCR channels, but curious if I need to limit how much I push them until then.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hello everyone on this forum owner of Klipsh speakers.I m interesting to buy Floorstanding speakers What is the best match sinergy Klipsh speakers and Harman Amplifier.I need advice for my Harman Kardon amplifier 3490.What model you suggest for my amplifier,or i try something else.I like Jazzy, Classic, Sound track, Prog rock, Latin jazz,..From cd player, stream,dab,flac HD losles. Music whit lots dynamic range and energy.Thanks for your time and advice.

Poslano sa mog Redmi Note 7 koristeći Tapatalk

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP8000F, RP504C, RP500SA, RP600M, SMSL SU8, MD THXAAA789, SennHD6XX
230 Posts
Hi all,

First time poster, longtime follower. I think I already know the answer, but consider myself somewhat of a novice & wanted to hear your thoughts. I have the Denon 3700 & am looking to upgrade to the Reference Premier speakers (2 RP-280, 1 RP-450c, 2 RP-160m) and wanted to be sure the 3700 is capable of handling them. I know they are very efficient speakers, but looking to get reference levels for movies with no clipping/distortion. Eventually I plan to get an external amp to power the LCR channels, but curious if I need to limit how much I push them until then.
Honestly, I'd recommend looking at this 11 year old thread:

tldr: There's nothing magical about reference levels for the end user. Except that you won't be listening to content at reference level, and if you do, you will damage your hearing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I currently have RP-8000s as fronts and the 504C as the center.

For side surrounds, would the RP-400Ms be good enough, or should I aim for the RP-600M?

·
Registered
309 Posts
Those of you who have owned RP-8000Fs for a while, how have you been toeing in your speakers? I have mine crossing at exactly the pseudo MLP and I’ve been pretty happy, but I’m always looking for more first
-hand feedback.

I say “pseudo MLP” because I don’t actually have a main listening point. We have a loveseat and straddle the center between the two seating positions. So whichever seat you’re in, neither of the main speakers are fully on-axis. My placement is pretty close to a perfect equilateral triangle.
I have my 8000’s toed in a bit. Basically pointed at MLP, not quite. But the more I have them toed in the better the imaging and soundstage of course. Try pointing the right one at your left shoulder. And point the left one at your right shoulder and see how it sounds. Of course that is only good for one position. I too have a love seat so I’d like for each seat to sound as good as possible. With that there are trade-offs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm not a Klipsch owner but was looking at upgrading my current speakers and listened to comparisons on Crutchfield and liked the 'brighter' sound of the Klipschs (knowing it may not be an exact replication).

I have a Denon 2113CI receiver and bookshelf speakers from an all-in-one Sony system that I purchased ~20 years ago so I'm guessing anything will be a massive improvement.

Right now BB is offering $100 off R-820-F speakers so that put them essentially the same price as the 620s. I looked at getting the R-34-C from the same location but saw that the RP-450C is almost 50% off on Amazon, so I'm guessing that would be a better upgrade for the price? The 450 won't 'overpower' the 820s I'm assuming?

Does this seem like a decent setup? Should I include a set of R-51-Ms or are the existing bookshelf cheapies sufficient?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Hi all, I have Klipsch RP280F for my fronts and RP450C as my center. I'm thinking of buying an Emotiva XPA-7 amp but I heard this speaker and amp combo doesn't sound good. The emotiva amp makes the speakers sound harsh with lack of fullness. does anyone have this speaker/amp combo? Does the Emotiva XPA gen 3 amps change the sound of Klipsch speakers?

·
Registered
Sony 65x900h, Yam RXV6A, Klipsch RP8000F, RP504C, RP500SA, RP600M, SMSL SU8, MD THXAAA789, SennHD6XX
230 Posts
I currently have RP-8000s as fronts and the 504C as the center.

For side surrounds, would the RP-400Ms be good enough, or should I aim for the RP-600M?
I don't have side surrounds, as I run 5.0.2 (no sub) instead of 7.0, but I have the same speakers you are otherwise talking about, and 600m's for left and right rear surround.

Honestly, the biggest point of feedback I can provide is be prepared to tune up the DB on your 600m's if you ever want to hear them in a movie. It makes sense, they are much smaller than the 8000f's, but if you ever actually want to be able to notice surround sound in an actual movie...turn them up.

A lot of sound demos make surround sound intentionally easy to spot, as they intentionally want you to be able to hear sound moving around the room, but in a movie...it seems rare that this is actually done, and even when it is, the fronts are still blaring so you won't be able to hear them anyway.

Could be my room setup. I have an apartment...and I don't want to do the obvious thing, which would be to move my rear surrounds closer to my couch...because I would be bumping into it when I work, my desk is on that side of the living room. My options are kinda limited with that quirk in mind, so they are placed in the "standard" layout, but I am sure they would sound better if they were closer to me.

If I were to ever run side surrounds if I would upgrade to 7.0.2, I would absolutely be knocking over the right side speaker.

I'm looking into moving at some point this year, maybe buy or rent...if I can find something with more space that also fits other requirements I have...including no worry about having to be considerate of neighbors with volume.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I don't have side surrounds, as I run 5.0.2 (no sub) instead of 7.0, but I have the same speakers you are otherwise talking about, and 600m's for left and right rear surround.

Honestly, the biggest point of feedback I can provide is be prepared to tune up the DB on your 600m's if you ever want to hear them in a movie. It makes sense, they are much smaller than the 8000f's, but if you ever actually want to be able to notice surround sound in an actual movie...turn them up.

A lot of sound demos make surround sound intentionally easy to spot, as they intentionally want you to be able to hear sound moving around the room, but in a movie...it seems rare that this is actually done, and even when it is, the fronts are still blaring so you won't be able to hear them anyway.

Could be my room setup. I have an apartment...and I don't want to do the obvious thing, which would be to move my rear surrounds closer to my couch...because I would be bumping into it when I work, my desk is on that side of the living room. My options are kinda limited with that quirk in mind, so they are placed in the "standard" layout, but I am sure they would sound better if they were closer to me.

If I were to ever run side surrounds if I would upgrade to 7.0.2, I would absolutely be knocking over the right side speaker.
That is Not the standard layout. It is wrong, There is NO rear in 5.1.
Do you have them actually wired to the rear instead of side outputs? (even though they are placed incorrectly for 5.1?)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Hi all, I have Klipsch RP280F for my fronts and RP450C as my center. I'm thinking of buying an Emotiva XPA-7 amp but I heard this speaker and amp combo doesn't sound good. The emotiva amp makes the speakers sound harsh with lack of fullness. does anyone have this speaker/amp combo? Does the Emotiva XPA gen 3 amps change the sound of Klipsch speakers?
Don't know where you heard that, there are many of us running Emotiva and Klipsch, check the Klipsch and (once active) Emotiva forums. I've had this combo and followed reviews for almost 10 years now.
I have not heard those RP280F though.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That is Not the standard layout. It is wrong, There is NO rear in 5.1.
Do you have them actually wired to the rear instead of side outputs? (even though they are placed incorrectly for 5.1?)
I love the internet sometimes. This is my layout. You can argue with my grammar, but I don't care, the speakers are behind and they are mine so I do what I want, and I commonly and perhaps incorrectly tend to call them rear surrounds. Let's fight about it on Street Fighter 2, but you can't be Bison. Or Ryu. And you're on the right side.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I love the internet sometimes. This is my layout. You can argue with my grammar, but I don't care, the speakers are behind and they are mine so I do what I want, and I commonly and perhaps incorrectly tend to call them rear surrounds. Let's fight about it on Street Fighter 2, but you can't be Bison. Or Ryu. And you're on the right side.

View attachment 3078257
Not trying to start anything, just trying to determine your sound issue about having to turn them up. Now we are getting somewhere.
Also when we use the wrong terms here new people can get confused.
Carry on (and I don't play online games, I listen to music. )

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Don't know where you heard that, there are many of us running Emotiva and Klipsch, check the Klipsch and (once active) Emotiva forums. I've had this combo and followed reviews for almost 10 years now.
I have not heard those RP280F though.
What klipsch speakers do you have?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Not trying to start anything, just trying to determine your sound issue about having to turn them up. Now we are getting somewhere.
Also when we use the wrong terms here new people can get confused.
Carry on (and I don't play online games, I listen to music. )
Yep. I tend to exaggerate and make outlandish comments to express pretend outrage. I laid it on a little thick there. :p

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,286 Posts
Sounds good to me. I have the XPA-3 version. I normally run with subwoofers, but the few times I ran without, still sounded pretty good.

Reactions: velocci

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
What klipsch speakers do you have?
RF7 , RC64, and RS62 are thru an Emotiva XPA5.
I also have some RB35's not on an Emotiva.
and two RW115 subs.

To be precise/honest here though I do have my RF7's bi amped/wired with a Marantz doing the HF and Emotiva doing the LF because I had some audible buzzing from the Emotiva after I upgraded from a Kenwood to the Marantz.
But even before I wired this way the only time I had harsh sounds is when I played a crappy recording of something.
Mine is a first generation amp, I've read they've lowered the gain on the 3rd gens. The gain is where I think the buzz was coming from.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Stupid question of the day...

I have the following speakers:

Mains: RP-280F (150w cont / 600w peak)
Center: RP-450C (150w cont / 600w peak)
Surrounds (x4): RP-150M (75w cont / 300w peak)
In-ceilings (x4): CDT-5800-C ii (50w cont / 200w peak)

I'm looking at getting an amp that produces 200w continuos per channel such as the Sherbourn 7/2100.

Is this amp too strong for these speakers?

If so, what is the max wattage per channel should the amp be for my setup?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

59561 - 59580 of 59609 Posts