AVS Forum banner

59801 - 59820 of 59842 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Well thought out system. Quality components while not inexpensive, not crazy money either. Of course, I'd say that, as my system is similar! :D Although, your tv is much nicer than mine. Mine's good, but not topnotch like yours.
I had a 65" C9 OLED previously. It has amazang pictire quality (and real blacks), but I wanted bigger screen. Finally I got a projector with a 95" screen (no space for bigger). We sit around 10-11 feet far. Even I lose some details on the picture, the huge picture compensate everyting, at least for me. And the projector screen seems more real, I can't say with other words.

65" vs 95" around 8 feet away: 20201121_183848000_iOS.MOV

Reactions: asabrag and drh3b

·
Registered
65 Posts
Well thought out system. Quality components while not inexpensive, not crazy money either. Of course, I'd say that, as my system is similar! :D Although, your tv is much nicer than mine. Mine's good, but not topnotch like yours.
I really want the dual fv18 like you 😊. Thank you

Reactions: drh3b

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,

Currently rocking KSF Rosewood 8.5 front towers, a JBL HLS Center, and R-120SW sub. Looking to go 5.1 with some surrounds. Was looking at the R-51M and RP-500M. Curious if the RP-500m would be a bit overkill for surrounds? The Rp-500m is about double the price of the R-51m. Maybe invest the money in a better center or SVS sub?

Thank you!

·
Registered
479 Posts
Hi all,

Currently rocking KSF Rosewood 8.5 front towers, a JBL HLS Center, and R-120SW sub. Looking to go 5.1 with some surrounds. Was looking at the R-51M and RP-500M. Curious if the RP-500m would be a bit overkill for surrounds? The Rp-500m is about double the price of the R-51m. Maybe invest the money in a better center or SVS sub?

Thank you!
If you plan on keeping your KSF mains I would suggest the R-51M as surrounds.

With the money you save, definitely upgrade your center. The KSF C5 is the match to your KSF 8.5s. Right now there are two on Ebay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you plan on keeping your KSF mains I would suggest the R-51M as surrounds.

With the money you save, definitely upgrade your center. The KSF C5 is the match to your KSF 8.5s. Right now there are two on Ebay.
Im not sure on the KSFs honestly. I inherited them from my parents Sound system. I’m not sure how they compare to other speakers in Klipsch‘s line today. They look nice but I’m kinda indifferent about them.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Im not sure on the KSFs honestly. I inherited them from my parents Sound system. I’m not sure how they compare to other speakers in Klipsch‘s line today. They look nice but I’m kinda indifferent about them.
They're going to be comparable to the current Reference series, like the R-51M.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Picked up a full quintet of the Icon series in Espresso last week from FB marketplace.

2x WF-35 towers
1x WC-24 center
2x WS-24 surrounds (WDST / bipoles)

If you never heard of these they were sold about 10 years ago and designed to have very high WAF (now an outdated spec but they still perfom very high on the updated SAF / PAF scale). Really fantastic looking speakers and to me they don't have the harshness/brightness that people seem to say Klipschs have. My wife picked out their little brothers, the WF-34s, for our living room 2.1 setup back then and it was a no-brainer to get the bigger version of speakers we already knew we liked the sound of. They're looking great in my media room!

The only issue is that I'd already gotten a great deal on two on-wall RP-240Ds that I was originally going to use as either fronts or surrounds. I'm not sure what to do with them now. I can't do 7.1 with my current room and they'd be overkill for rear surrounds anyway, so I guess I'll either hang onto them or try to resell.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got my first Klipsch speakers last week. I have RP 8000Fs for the LR and a RP 450 C for the center channel. Too bad I had to travel for work this week or I would be spending some quality movie time.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Klipsch RF-7 III vs. JTR Noesis 210HT. Any thoughts?

I have not heard the JTR but I recently purchased RF7 III's and they sound amazing. Crystal clear with no audible distortion (to my ears) while playing music or movies.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have been waffling along for a couple months now on deciding on my speaker setup, thanks to you guys. I have 'finalized' my plan multiple times. My last plan was for 7 RF-8000F's, 1 pair RP-502S, 6 CDT-5800. My current 'final' plan is for 3 RF-7 III's as my LCR (making my smallish room even smaller by building a false wall and using an ATS), 2 pair RP-600M, 1 pair RP-502S, 4 Klipsch PRO-180RPC-LCR, 2 Klipsch PRO-180RPC.

That could change again, too. You guys are killing me. Luckily I have time, since my theater build is going to take awhile.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I like your current plan, although Atmos specifies that surrounds should be direct radiating designs so I'd suggest going with RP-600Ms as both your side and rear surrounds.

Reactions: drh3b

·
Registered
334 Posts
I like your current plan, although Atmos specifies that surrounds should be direct radiating designs so I'd suggest going with RP-600Ms as both your side and rear surrounds.
I normally wouldn't disagree. The problem is how close the sides are to the MLP... 2'. I just don't want to blow away our ears at that distance. Plus it'll help with some dispersal since we're using 3 rows.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Just started testing out my my new klipsch rp280-fa paired with RP-450C. The floorstanding are a lot bigger than I thought, it was a bit surprising. The RP-450C was amazing with crystal clear dialogue. I still need to tweak things a bit as I cannot really appreciate the atmos as I had expected. Once I get an SVS or HSU sub my room will hopefully be rocking.
If anyone has a recommended movie to test out atmos let me know. I tried streaming Justice League on HBO Max then 4k blu-ray of Iron Man 3. My ceiling is not vaulted. I set crossover to 80hz for the front and 120hz for the atmos.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Questions specific to the RF-7III.

I am building a new theater in new construction. So very flexible in design. Have not even broken ground on the house yet.
So the basics = 18Wx28Lx10H room with the front LCR behind an AT screen/baffle wall. Current plan uses the Klipsch THX-6000 (aka KL-650-THX) behind the screen.
I have no doubt these would be great with dialog and normal volume levels. However, I am a bit leery on their dynamic headroom; gun shots, explosions and canon fire (i.e. Fury - 2014)
A pair of 6.5's for mid bass seems a little light for this size room. Like asking a 4-cyl engine to tow 8,000lbs...it can probably do it...but a bigger engine is better suited.

So to stay in the Klipsch line, the closest thing to unlimited headroom (without going into the PRO line) would be three RF-7III behind the screen. Problem is that the RF-7's are ported to the rear.
Most articles and posts say give the ports 4-6 inches to "breath" and you should be good with ports. No biggie, that's 2ft behind the screen. However several reviews of the RF-7III's state that they needed to pull them out away from the walls and "out into the room" to get them sounding the best. There will be many subs in the theater. So the 10's on the RF-7 needn't dig that deep.

Either way each speaker will get its own bridged Parasound amp. So clean power will be abundant. So any comments or help on putting RF-7's behind an AT screen? much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
This spot for sale or rent.
5,538 Posts
Most articles and posts say give the ports 4-6 inches to "breath" and you should be good with ports. No biggie, that's 2ft behind the screen. However several reviews of the RF-7III's state that they needed to pull them out away from the walls and "out into the room" to get them sounding the best. There will be many subs in the theater. So the 10's on the RF-7 needn't dig that deep.
Not an expert, but my understanding is that in this situation(presumably crossing the the RF-7s at 80 Hz) the ports will barely be used, and shouldn't be a problem. If you were using them full range, then maybe an issue.
I would think realistically that that be enough room if you did decide to do some two channel, no sub listening, but I do all my two channel with my subs on. :) I don't know how much room those speakers need to "breathe", but I'm guessing with two feet of room that Audyssey(or whatever RC you use) would take care of any potential issues.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Questions specific to the RF-7III.

I am building a new theater in new construction. So very flexible in design. Have not even broken ground on the house yet.
So the basics = 18Wx28Lx10H room with the front LCR behind an AT screen/baffle wall. Current plan uses the Klipsch THX-6000 (aka KL-650-THX) behind the screen.
I have no doubt these would be great with dialog and normal volume levels. However, I am a bit leery on their dynamic headroom; gun shots, explosions and canon fire (i.e. Fury - 2014)
A pair of 6.5's for mid bass seems a little light for this size room. Like asking a 4-cyl engine to tow 8,000lbs...it can probably do it...but a bigger engine is better suited.

So to stay in the Klipsch line, the closest thing to unlimited headroom (without going into the PRO line) would be three RF-7III behind the screen. Problem is that the RF-7's are ported to the rear.

Either way each speaker will get its own bridged Parasound amp. So clean power will be abundant. So any comments or help on putting RF-7's behind an AT screen? much appreciated.
You used an analogy on the 6.5 speaker, here is one on RF7's;
crossing them at 80 hz is like buying a sports car and never using 4th gear.
And yes they really "set the sound stage" off the wall, mine are 24/21 inches off the wall (slight toe) and crossed at 40. Tried several different options before arriving here. I have two 15 inch R115 SWs and still let the RF7's do their thing, for music anyway. Plenty of power so not an issue.
Not behind a screen though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hi guys, I’m planning on using the THX-504-L center speaker in my home theater behind an 135” (pending wife’s approval) acoustically transparent screen. Is there a recommendation on how the center speaker should be oriented? The speaker documentation says it can be used both horizontally or vertically. Thanks so much.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Best solution is having all three LCR's be the same speaker, at the same height. But of course your room and situation will dictate. The first iteration of my theater used 3 x THX-504's behind an AT 150. All of these speakers orientated vertically. If you are using, for example, Klipsch towers for the right and left. These have a vertical array for the transducers. So I would highly recommend situating the THX-504 vertically.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Thanks so much. I’m planning on using in walls for my front three speakers.

Do you have the tweeters of your LCR at ear level?

Best solution is having all three LCR's be the same speaker, at the same height. But of course your room and situation will dictate. The first iteration of my theater used 3 x THX-504's behind an AT 150. All of these speakers orientated vertically. If you are using, for example, Klipsch towers for the right and left. These have a vertical array for the transducers. So I would highly recommend situating the THX-504 vertically.
View attachment 3120266

59801 - 59820 of 59842 Posts