AVS Forum banner

59821 - 59840 of 59840 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
The speaker, in its entirety not just the tweeter, is centered on the screen vertically. Therefore the sound comes from the picture, not above or below. Placing a horizontal center channel above or below can be, and is routinely done. But having dialog come directly from the screen to me is the most natural sounding. I do believe Audioholics did a YouTube video on this exact topic like 5 years ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As a long-term lurker on this forum, I have been trying to educate myself enough to construct a decent surround system to enjoy my TV and Xbox. I see on the Klipsch website they promote the RP-502's for surround. I have read through 50+ pages of "Surround Speakers - Bipole, Dipole, Quadpole, Omnipole Which one? " and all I managed to do is buy 4 RP-502's and 4 RB-61's. It seems that some movies sound better with one and others don't. I think I'm going to go back to the RBs.
Now I'm looking at tearing up the ceiling and installing overheads. I only want to do this once but my track record for correct first decisions isn't great. I was thinking at least 4 PRO-18RC but open to other suggestions in number and type.
The room is my 21X25 attached garage which has been converted to a Living/TV room.
Appreciate any Klipsch insight.

·
Registered
331 Posts
RP-502s is good for non-Atmos setups, or when ear positions are very close to the surround (to prevent hot-spotting). The only reason I have a pair of 502s is because the side surrounds are about 20" from the MLP.

·
Registered
367 Posts
As a long-term lurker on this forum, I have been trying to educate myself enough to construct a decent surround system to enjoy my TV and Xbox. I see on the Klipsch website they promote the RP-502's for surround. I have read through 50+ pages of "Surround Speakers - Bipole, Dipole, Quadpole, Omnipole Which one? " and all I managed to do is buy 4 RP-502's and 4 RB-61's. It seems that some movies sound better with one and others don't. I think I'm going to go back to the RBs.
Now I'm looking at tearing up the ceiling and installing overheads. I only want to do this once but my track record for correct first decisions isn't great. I was thinking at least 4 PRO-18RC but open to other suggestions in number and type.
The room is my 21X25 attached garage which has been converted to a Living/TV room.
Appreciate any Klipsch insight.
I use RP-250S for surrounds in an 5.1.4 Atmos speaker system and they are good for Atmos too. I use them because they are so close to the MLP (5-6 feet) and they are on the back wall. Not the best, but side walls not possible. If you have space you can use monopole speakers, but if you don't, a bi/di-pole speaker is better. Less preciese (small difference) but better atmosphere. Previously Klipsch advertised their Atmos speaker set (RP) with bipole (WDST) surround speakers.

Reactions: asabrag

·
Registered
9 Posts
So both replies hit on my quandary, my viewing area is not centered in the room as there is a walkway on the left side. So the right surround is 5' from the MLP and the right is 10'. I have read that people have used one type for sides and another for rears. If it were just for aesthetics, the RP's look better IMO.
Any insight on which and how many Klipsch ceiling speakers would work well with my collection?
I know my receiver has to go but I am trying to wait out the current 2.1 receiver issues.

·
Registered
105 Posts

Any insight on which and how many Klipsch ceiling speakers would work well with my collection?
Well I use the PRO-180RPC for four of my Atmos overheads. I am sure the PRO-18RC would do well too. The secret sauce to these models is to use the Klipsch
ME-800-C SPEAKER ENCLOSURE with them. the enclosure is a stamped steel back box with a pass through grommet for the speaker wire. It is very inexpensive, solidly built and fits the 8 inch overheads perfectly.
They were easy to install and came ready to go. A quick shot of silicone to seal the wire passthrough and you have a sealed back box with zero resonance issues installed very quick.

As for how many? The obvious minimum is two. But with one or two rows of seating, two pair (4) installed at the correct angles from seating position is the minimum i would do. That allows for a smooth overhead movement of the audio object. Think of a plane flying overhead (in a movie). With one pair all you get is the sound getting louder and then fading in the single set. With two sets you can have the Atmos creating an object passing overhead one set of speakers to the next. Works stunningly well with the correct movies. i.e. people walking in the room above the on screen character(s). This effect scared the hell out of me with Netflix title Birdbox, when someone is in the house with them, upstairs.

Finally, More rows of seating necessitates more speakers overhead to provide a convincing overhead sound field for movement for all guests.

good luck

·
Registered
331 Posts

Well I use the PRO-180RPC for four of my Atmos overheads. I am sure the PRO-18RC would do well too. The secret sauce to these models is to use the Klipsch
ME-800-C SPEAKER ENCLOSURE with them. the enclosure is a stamped steel back box with a pass through grommet for the speaker wire. It is very inexpensive, solidly built and fits the 8 inch overheads perfectly.
They were easy to install and came ready to go. A quick shot of silicone to seal the wire passthrough and you have a sealed back box with zero resonance issues installed very quick.

As for how many? The obvious minimum is two. But with one or two rows of seating, two pair (4) installed at the correct angles from seating position is the minimum i would do. That allows for a smooth overhead movement of the audio object. Think of a plane flying overhead (in a movie). With one pair all you get is the sound getting louder and then fading in the single set. With two sets you can have the Atmos creating an object passing overhead one set of speakers to the next. Works stunningly well with the correct movies. i.e. people walking in the room above the on screen character(s). This effect scared the hell out of me with Netflix title Birdbox, when someone is in the house with them, upstairs.

Finally, More rows of seating necessitates more speakers overhead to provide a convincing overhead sound field for movement for all guests.

good luck
Do you think spacing out 4 Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR's across 3 rows of seats would work? Seems like it would do the trick, in theory...

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nice! How do they get to the MLP?
By the way: I had them set up as you did, but I ended exchanging them by RP502S and put the 500SA as Rear Surround...

Hi all,

Currently rocking KSF Rosewood 8.5 front towers, a JBL HLS Center, and R-120SW sub. Looking to go 5.1 with some surrounds. Was looking at the R-51M and RP-500M. Curious if the RP-500m would be a bit overkill for surrounds? The Rp-500m is about double the price of the R-51m. Maybe invest the money in a better center or SVS sub?

Thank you!
I don't think it would be overkill. If I were you maybe I would go with the 502S. (Dusclosure: mines are RP260F just because floorstand go better on my non conventional room )

I got my first Klipsch speakers last week. I have RP 8000Fs for the LR and a RP 450 C for the center channel. Too bad I had to travel for work this week or I would be spending some quality movie time.
Nice! I'm trying to get 450C since long ago! It seems I will be able to get a 504C at the end of the month!

I have been waffling along for a couple months now on deciding on my speaker setup, thanks to you guys. I have 'finalized' my plan multiple times. My last plan was for 7 RF-8000F's, 1 pair RP-502S, 6 CDT-5800. My current 'final' plan is for 3 RF-7 III's as my LCR (making my smallish room even smaller by building a false wall and using an ATS), 2 pair RP-600M, 1 pair RP-502S, 4 Klipsch PRO-180RPC-LCR, 2 Klipsch PRO-180RPC.

That could change again, too. You guys are killing me. Luckily I have time, since my theater build is going to take awhile.
I went with 3xRP8000F for LCR and I didn't like it. Finally I went back to the RP250C. Now trying to get my hands on RP504C.

Just started testing out my my new klipsch rp280-fa paired with RP-450C. The floorstanding are a lot bigger than I thought, it was a bit surprising. The RP-450C was amazing with crystal clear dialogue. I still need to tweak things a bit as I cannot really appreciate the atmos as I had expected. Once I get an SVS or HSU sub my room will hopefully be rocking.
If anyone has a recommended movie to test out atmos let me know. I tried streaming Justice League on HBO Max then 4k blu-ray of Iron Man 3. My ceiling is not vaulted. I set crossover to 80hz for the front and 120hz for the atmos.
If you are still able, exchange the FA with standard 280F + 500SA (like the first post here).

Regarding Atmos recommendations:
-Godzilla 4K
-Space Station (IMAX DTS X)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Nice! How do they get to the MLP?
By the way: I had them set up as you did, but I ended exchanging them by RP502S and put the 500SA as Rear Surround...

The RP500SA work quite nicely mounted up in that position. The Atmos seems more immersive than when I used the built in Upfiring Atmos speakers in my R625FA's and they seem to have a but more power to them as well.

How do you like the RP502s up top? I currently use a pair as my left/right side surrounds and my old R625FA towers as rear surrounds which sound much better than the R-51M's that I was using before

Reactions: asabrag

·
Registered
690 Posts
The RP500SA work quite nicely mounted up in that position. The Atmos seems more immersive than when I used the built in Upfiring Atmos speakers in my R625FA's and they seem to have a but more power to them as well.

How do you like the RP502s up top? I currently use a pair as my left/right side surrounds and my old R625FA towers as rear surrounds which sound much better than the R-51M's that I was using before
It was a long way till I got the Atmos sound I expected from day one.
I started Atmos with:
-Old Technis Surrounds
-Little Onkyos Satellites
-Polk FXIA4
-RP140SA
-RP500SA

Finally what works best for me, against all literature written about atmos was:
-RS 52II as Front Heights
-RP502S as Rear Heights

·
Registered
690 Posts
What specifically didn't you like about it? I haven't pulled the trigger yet so I'd like to know details.
Nothing specific , it just didn't sound right. Too much speaker for center requirements.
I ended up buying a 4th one and setting up a Stereo set up outside the 7.2.4 setup for Atmos.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Do you think spacing out 4 Klipsch PRO-180RPC LCR's across 3 rows of seats would work? Seems like it would do the trick, in theory...
Honestly I followed this video and the Dolby documents. You would looking at a X.X.6 setup...technically. If your only going to use X.X.4, i would situate them for the preferred listening position (aka the money seat) and let the processor do what it can for your other rows/seats.
Atmos placement for 1-2 rows

Dolby Guide 2018

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I must agree with @SanchoPanza on that. I called Cory at Paducah and got an amazing deal.
Mind sending me a PM and letting me know the amazing deal you got? :)

My local dealer won't give me anything more off than Klipsch's current sale pricing - then they wonder why people don't buy local anymore...

I am looking for a complete 7.4 RP setup.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I just learned in the past few days of some of the more recent Heritage updates and the Jubilees' coming release/update. Mr. Delgado is hard at work. Impressive stuff.

·
Registered
331 Posts
In a surround sound home theater format, should I use RB-81's or RP-600M's, and why? They'll be paired with two 15" subs so bass isn't an issue. LCR will be three RF-7 III's.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Does Klipsch customer service ... suck...?

I sent them an email 5 days ago, no response...

I sent them another email 2 days ago... no response.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Does Klipsch customer service ... suck...?

I sent them an email 5 days ago, no response...

I sent them another email 2 days ago... no response.
There's a topic on their message boards acknowledging it, saying they're working on it. Maybe try facebook

59821 - 59840 of 59840 Posts