AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im writing this on behalf of a friend of mine, who is a serious nut when it comes to this hobby. But he sucks in english

Anyway, he just recently replaced his Klipsch RF7s with some Klipsch P39's. He is using a Parasound Halo A21, 2x200watt amplifier on them now.

It was more than powerful enough for his RF7s, but not for the P39s... He needs more juice. But the question is, which amplifier should he go for?

I recommended that he should take a look at Emotiva. Either 2 x XPA-1 (That should give him around 1000watt on each speaker),

or that he should get one more Halo A21, and use one bridged for each P39.

A 3rd option would be to get a powerful Mcintosh amplifier, but this alternative is also the most expensive one.

So basically what im asking is, which amplifier would you recommend for these speakers, and have you had any experience with some of the amplifiers already mentioned in this thread?

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
What makes you think you need more power? The Parasound Halo A21 is more than enough, it puts out 400 watts at 4ohm the Klipsch P39's are rated for 400watts. You don't need any more power. More expensive amps doesn't mean "better sounding". You'll see no difference in sound unless you are pushing the Klipsch to insane output levels. Then answer to you problem is not a more powerful amp but speakers capable of much more output.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not have any first hand experience with the P39s and what they do need. But when the P39's first "came", they were on display on an audio gathering. They used some 2-300 watts amplifiers and sure enough, they sounded good. But it wasn't until they fed them with 2 x 1000watts they were starting to have fun with them. I know there is only a 3dB increase from say 500watts, to 1000watts. But there is also more magic behind? Which class it is or how much power it may actually draw etc..

I can only tell from my own experience, for example: I fed my LMS-R with "1000watts" and it sounded great. Then I bridged the amp, and the LMS-R was now fed with 2k watts - and it FELT/sounded even better.

Another example: I could use my receivers "2x 100watts or w/e" to play with my Klipsch speakers at VERY loud levels. But it wasn't until I added an external amplifier rated at 2x200watts I realised how much better the speaker were. They sounded A LOT better.

The louder I played, the bigger the difference was felt. But also on lower volumes (just not as much).

Im not trying to be a smartass, im just wondering why this wouldn't apply to the P39s as well?

The speakers will be played LOUD, and at extreme levels. This I do know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts