AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Klipsch Promedia v.2-400 subwoofer box is rattling with heavy bass audio. It did not do this before. I checked the actual subwoofer cones and they are in still great condition, no tears or signs of damage. I tried testing the sub with heavy bass music with the amp out of the box and the rattle stopped. I even took it a bit further. I tested it again with bass heavy music, but this time I lifted the amp with my hands and had it just sit on my fingertips on one side while the other side rested on the box. I basically used my fingertips as supports for the amp. This also resulted in no rattle and vibration with the bass heavy music. So just based off this observation and testing, I have come to conclude that the amp is rattling against the box when there is heavy bass present.

I had some cheap foam laying around that came from my PC motherboard packaging and used it to cut up strips of foam. I laid it around the edges of the amp where the old foam insulator is (which looks very worn down). I tested it again and it did not make a difference at all and the rattle is still present. Is this because I used cheap foam that wasn't designed to dampen and eliminate vibrations or is there another culprit for the problem? I'd like to think the former, but I just want to make sure before I start buying real isolation foam that is designed for this purpose. It looks kind of pricey based off a quick search. Anyone know of good cheap alternatives that serve the same purpose?

I'm a total beginner when it comes to this stuff so please excuse my ignorance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My Klipsch Promedia v.2-400 subwoofer box is rattling with heavy bass audio. It did not do this before. I checked the actual subwoofer cones and they are in still great condition, no tears or signs of damage. I tried testing the sub with heavy bass music with the amp out of the box and the rattle stopped. I even took it a bit further. I tested it again with bass heavy music, but this time I lifted the amp with my hands and had it just sit on my fingertips on one side while the other side rested on the box. I basically used my fingertips as supports for the amp. This also resulted in no rattle and vibration with the bass heavy music. So just based off this observation and testing, I have come to conclude that the amp is rattling against the box when there is heavy bass present.

I had some cheap foam laying around that came from my PC motherboard packaging and used it to cut up strips of foam. I laid it around the edges of the amp where the old foam insulator is (which looks very worn down). I tested it again and it did not make a difference at all and the rattle is still present. Is this because I used cheap foam that wasn't designed to dampen and eliminate vibrations or is there another culprit for the problem? I'd like to think the former, but I just want to make sure before I start buying real isolation foam that is designed for this purpose. It looks kind of pricey based off a quick search. Anyone know of good cheap alternatives that serve the same purpose?

I'm a total beginner when it comes to this stuff so please excuse my ignorance.
I also checked all the screws and made sure they were all tight. Theres two in the middle of the outer edges of the amplifier in which the thread holes for the screws are worn out and the screw can no longer tighten itself. So the amp is not 100% secure on the center portion, but should this cause rattling?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts