AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so this will require some background info before I get to my question.

My current setup (I live in a smallish apartment):

-Klipsch Quintet IIs all around

-Klipsch RW-10d sub (it's only paired with small satellites because I got a ridiculous deal on the sub)

-Yamaha RX-V661

I have the ability, at least until the end of the day, to pick up some Polk Monitor 50s for a pretty low price. And I was looking at setting my parents (who live in a house, TV room about 18x15) up with surround sound come Christmas time this year. So here's what I'm thinking:

1) Buy 4 Monitor 50s and find a Polk center channel to match, then give my parents the Quintet IIs I'm currently using.

2) Buy 4 Monitor 50s and find a Polk center channel to match. Then for my setup, use the Polk center and 2 Monitor 50s as LR, with 2 Quintet IIs as rears. For the parents, use the Quintet II center, 2 Monitor 50s as LR, with 2 Quintet IIs as rears.

3) Buy 2 Monitor 50s and a Polk center channel to match, and just set my folks up with 3.1 this year, buy them rears later.

Any way I go I'm obviously going to have to pick up a sub and receiver for my folks as well. I can deal with those well enough on my own I think, but I guess the root of my question is, for option 2 will either of the setups (mine or my parents') sound bad? I don't know how the Monitor 50s sound and have no way to audition them since it's an internet deal and none of the B&Ms near me carry them. Also don't know if they're going to sound strange with Quintets.

I could also just skip this deal and wait for a price drop on something else, but these look like a steal at the price...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Satellites or towers for surround is obviously a matter of preference and needs - so you are the only one who can decide.

I would not mix Quintets and Monitors for the front 3.

CS1 or CS2 (big!) are your centers for Monitor 50, or the newer CS10 and CS20 from the new TSi line.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help, vinipux. I decided to go with the Polk 3.1 setup for my parents this year. It's easier to buy them quality stuff this way.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts