AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm in the market for a newer sub and I can get the r-120sw at a really good price. Even though this is a "big box store" type of speaker is this well worth the cost of under $300? I'm sure this is bigger than my smaller room can handle but wanting a new sub non the less. Sorta want to keep my speakers all Klipsch. I'm sure this will be up for debate since everyone has their input and suggestions. I'm tired of looking and comparing brand vs brand. And again there is the Klipsch SPL line as well to look at.

·
Registered
9,685 Posts
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm in the market for a newer sub and I can get the r-120sw at a really good price. Even though this is a "big box store" type of speaker is this well worth the cost of under $300? I'm sure this is bigger than my smaller room can handle but wanting a new sub non the less. Sorta want to keep my speakers all Klipsch. I'm sure this will be up for debate since everyone has their input and suggestions. I'm tired of looking and comparing brand vs brand. And again there is the Klipsch SPL line as well to look at.
At under $300 there's not much out there that would really be any better. If you can go to $400 the RSL Speedwoofer is a better overall sub even though it's a 10" versus the Klipsch 12".

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At under $300 there's not much out there that would really be any better. If you can go to $400 the RSL Speedwoofer is a better overall sub even though it's a 10" versus the Klipsch 12".
What makes the RSL Speedwoofer a better overall vs the Klipsch?

·
Registered
399 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'd not let this be too much of a factor, especially depending on how visible their position ends up. You go sans grill and want all those matching copper cones showing?

As for the R-120sw, it's pretty good! I have a pair from the $125 Amazon PM a while back, that I had to use briefly during a transition. Anywhere near $300 though, I think it's best to step up to the next tier of four to five hundred dollar subs, svs/mono/hsu etc. If you watch movies, this klipsch doesn't do too much under 30Hz, nothing at all under 25Hz, regardless of how small your room is, it is definitely not bigger than the smallest rooms can handle. Music sounds good on them though, what they can play. Just you mentioned you're trying to upgrade. IDK what you have now, but I wouldn't bother with a baby step up.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd not let this be too much of a factor, especially depending on how visible their position ends up. You go sans grill and want all those matching copper cones showing?

As for the R-120sw, it's pretty good! I have a pair from the $125 Amazon PM a while back, that I had to use briefly during a transition. Anywhere near $300 though, I think it's best to step up to the next tier of four to five hundred dollar subs, svs/mono/hsu etc. If you watch movies, this klipsch doesn't do too much under 30Hz, nothing at all under 25Hz, regardless of how small your room is, it is definitely not bigger than the smallest rooms can handle. Music sounds good on them though, what they can play. Just you mentioned you're trying to upgrade. IDK what you have now, but I wouldn't bother with a baby step up.
Thanks for that information. I also heard good things about the Bic America F12. I also can go that route.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I upgraded an old, 8" Kenwood sub to the Klipsch R-120SW when it was on sale at Crutchfield late last year. The difference in depth and output are, of course, wonderful. What 8" can compete with a 12"? I spent about an hour on Friday night playing around with "It Came from Outer Bass" by Techmaster PEB (Youtube streaming) and it was a lot of fun.

All that being said, the sub can sound "boomy" with certain content - see my thread here (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-...erpowering-upgrade-sensible.html#post57789420). Most notably, the Food Network! Weird, but true. I've since turned the sub down with my AVR and it's better.

If you've only got $300 or less to spend, it's a fun purchase. My plan is to eventually upgrade (I'm looking at the Rythmik FV15HP as my final/ultimate upgrade, or perhaps a pair of them!), but those levels of subs are very expensive ($1300+ each), so it's years away. But I'd like more output, cleaner output, tighter output, and of course, lower frequency output, which the R-120SW can't provide. The Rythmik FV18 would be even better, but at 33" tall (!) there's no way I could fit it...and if I did, my wife would flip out!

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
All that being said, the sub can sound "boomy" with certain content - see my thread here (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-...erpowering-upgrade-sensible.html#post57789420). Most notably, the Food Network! Weird, but true. I've since turned the sub down with my AVR and it's better.

!
Do not judge any subwoofer on these cable channel signals, it is not the subs fault, HGTV, Food Network and many other channels throw out these muddy sub frequencies for some reason, I guess it makes the TV show or commercial sound more dramatic on sound bars and HTIB systems. When watching these channels just switch to direct or pure direct, but remember to turn it back to surround modes when needed!
Turning the sub down permanently will compromise why you bought it in the first place. Optimally it should be correctly tuned per surround standards, level settings, and left alone.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have the Klipsch R-12SW, which is basically the same subwoofer. I like it. I still use it along my SKHorn. Once it's properly calibrated it's great. The impluse response isn't the best and the sub isn't amazing above 70Hz, but the differences are small. For regular music listening I don't bother turning on the SKHorn amp which consumes 150W in idle.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts