AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Found a 5 speaker Klipsch R3 set - mid, 2 fronts, 2 surrounds, for $600. From what I've seen spec-wise these are comparable to the RF82 fronts / RC62 mid. Is that about right? Assuming they work and aren't blown (checking them out tomorrow), anything I should be wary of? Is an Onkyo TX-SR606 going to drive these or will I need a more powerful amp? We rarely listen to music in this room, it's pretty much for home theater and gaming only.

This will be a substantial speaker upgrade from using 2 Klipsch Synergy B2 bookshelves as my main and small polk center/surrounds from a Polk HTiB set. I'll still be using my Onkyo 606 receiver. I just replaced the Polk center with a new Klipsch RC42 ii, and it's (as expected) an incredible difference. Was going to go back and get a pair of RF42 ii, but then saw this set of R3s. My only concern is the age and lack of warranty, but seeing as they're speakers, I expect that's not as much of an issue. 

Last concern is my sub. I have a Polk PSW1000. My room is 16x20 with 24' ceilings, and I have the volume dialed up pretty high on the sub. It gets a bit... wompy for lack of a better term, looses definition here and there in certain scenes, but is usually OK. If I were to replace this sub with something better paired to the R3s, any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
RF-3 ?

Can you still return the RC42 ii (since the RC-3 is a better match and has larger drivers?)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes. Rf3 rc3 and rb3 or whatever the matching speakers in the set are. And yes I will be returning the rc42

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I am not familiar with pricing (check ebay closed auctions), but I'd definitely do that deal. That's a lot of speakers for $600.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They seem to go around 600$ just for a pair of fronts hence my excitement. Is my receiver enough for them ?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts