AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to upgrade my very old Onkyo side surround speakers to match my fronts I have Klipsch floor standing fronts and a Snell THX center that is on loan from a friend. I have to get the model of the fronts when I get home but thought I would post the question and see if people had any thoughts.

I've been looking at both the RB and RS Reference Series from Klipsch but can't decide which would suit my room better. The room is 12 feet wide and about 23 feet long with 14 foot cathedral ceiling. The front channels are against the shorter wall. The side speakers are mounted to the side walls. just over head height and even with the #1 listening position and the #2 listening position about 5 feet behind #1. This is strictly for home theater and has a dedicated 12" Lava Sub.

If anymore info is needed I'll be happy to let you know, any thoughts on these speakers or others that are in this price range would be greatly apprecited.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer04  /t/1526716/klipsch-rb-vs-rs-series#post_24591629

I'm looking to upgrade my very old Onkyo side surround speakers to match my fronts I have Klipsch floor standing fronts and a Snell THX center that is on loan from a friend. I have to get the model of the fronts when I get home but thought I would post the question and see if people had any thoughts.

I've been looking at both the RB and RS Reference Series from Klipsch but can't decide which would suit my room better. The room is 12 feet wide and about 23 feet long with 14 foot cathedral ceiling. The front channels are against the shorter wall. The side speakers are mounted to the side walls. just over head height and even with the #1 listening position and the #2 listening position about 5 feet behind #1. This is strictly for home theater and has a dedicated 12" Lava Sub.

If anymore info is needed I'll be happy to let you know, any thoughts on these speakers or others that are in this price range would be greatly apprecited.

Since you have two rows of seating, I would probably go with the RS speakers since they are bipolar. A bookshelf will be too directional and it will be harder to have good surround effects at both rows of seating. Do you have space behind the rear seats, it sounds like 7.1 would work well in your room.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had 7.1 but I just took down all my speakers to paint the walls and in the process ran the cables inside the walls. I haven't yet run the cables for the rear speakers. If I did setup the rear speakers again would you still go with the RS or then go directional because of the rear speakers?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fencer04  /t/1526716/klipsch-rb-vs-rs-series#post_24591704

I have had 7.1 but I just took down all my speakers to paint the walls and in the process ran the cables inside the walls. I haven't yet run the cables for the rear speakers. If I did setup the rear speakers again would you still go with the RS or then go directional because of the rear speakers?

It is personal preference really, if you purchase from Crutchfield you could buy both and try them out, and then send back the ones you don't like.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1526716/klipsch-rb-vs-rs-series#post_24591708

Here are some quotes from a Home Theater Review article on the Kilpsch Reference Series speakers:

"edgy and unnatural"

"shrill yet murky"

"lacked refinement and speed"

If you want the worst sound there is, stick with those Klipsch speakers.

Umm...How do you know the OP has the speakers you are providing a third party review of and without a link? Of course, if you provided the link the OP will see that the rest of the review was quite complementary and gave it good marks for the price. That said, I agree completely about matching the front 3 speakers and the Klipsch RF-7/RC-7 up front and those get excellent reviews: http://www.audioreview.com/cat/speakers/floorstanding-speakers/klipsch/rf-7/prd_129356_1594crx.aspx If the OP can find those in the used market there is no better bang-for-your-buck and he could move what he has now to surround duty and never feel the need to upgrade.

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
I think the proper set up would be RS on the sides and the RBs in the back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts