AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning, I have Klipsch RB-61ll reference front left and right speakers paired with the RC-52ll center in a family room that is about 12x18. Do you guys think if i was to upgrade the center to the to the larger RC-62ll I would notice a big difference in sound quality? As it is now I think they sound good but I'm always looking for improvement. Thanks

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
For best clarity in the center channel, I have found that larger is often worse, not better.

The center channel is best limited to 120 Hz and above, which makes smaller drivers ideal.

The bass should all come from the front main speakers, not the center.

My advice would be to not make that change.

It might be a step in the wrong direction.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
When I went from 5.25 " center to 6.5" center drivers it was very noticable.

I stepped up a series too, but prefer the bigger drivers.

·
Registered
278 Posts
commsysman, would you care to explain your statements? I'm having trouble understanding how limiting any speaker's frequency response would have clarity benefits? We all know that phone calls have frequency limit between 300 and 3400 Hz. If we were to follow your logic, people would prefer the sound of voice when talking on the phone rather than the one when talking face to face. Also, typical primary frequency of a male voice is around 100 Hz, so choosing a center channel which can produce lower frequencies will have significant clarity benefits. Well, unless my logic is flawed. Is it?

·
Registered
7,063 Posts
Actually 100 Hz is lower than any male voice usuallly goes. 80 hz is considered the very lowest a professional Basso will sing, but that is a rare extreme.

Male voices are primarily in the 100 to 500 Hz range somewhere. Female voices are usually 160 to 1000 hz.

The key frequencies for AUDIBILTY OF SPEECH, however, are 130 to 800 hz. Bell Laboratories did extensive research on this for many years, to optimize telephone systems.

I worked with telephone modems for years in the military, and the channel passband of telephone system multiplexers is actually 100 to 3000 Hz, in most cases

The total bandwidth allowed in FDM systems is 4Khz, because there needs to be some dead frequencies between channels to prevent leakage from one channels to an adjacent one.

Your suggestion that they only go from 300 to 3400 would result in a total lack of audibility, since much speech is well below 300. That is incorrect. Some telephone systems actually boost frequencies between 150 and 300 Hz to improve audibilty.

If a center speaker has larger drivers than 5 inches, and is driven by signals lower than 100 hz, it is my experience that this MAY result in less clarity in the midrange frequencies.

This has a lot to do with driver quality, however. Expensive drivers may be able to handle a wider range of frequencies with no loss of midrange quality, so you can't make comprehensive statements that will apply to all cases.

One of the clearest low-priced center speakers I have heard is the Cambridge S50 speaker, which uses 3.5-inch drivers; these are quite capable of covering 80 to 2000 hz.

I think the smaller drivers are optimal for the center speaker, based on my listening experience. It's just an opinion, and I am certain that many will disagree.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclecky  /t/1523854/klipsch-rc-52ll-vs-rc-62ll#post_24518376

Good morning, I have Klipsch RB-61ll reference front left and right speakers paired with the RC-52ll center in a family room that is about 12x18. Do you guys think if i was to upgrade the center to the to the larger RC-62ll I would notice a big difference in sound quality? As it is now I think they sound good but I'm always looking for improvement. Thanks
it might not be huge upgrade but it would be the perfect match, and a upgrade none the less

I would recommend it and a proper 80hz crossover for all your speakers, INCLUDING YOUR CENTER CHANNEL. Advice stating otherwise is silly with those speakers you have.

More than dialogue comes from center channel, fyi

·
Registered
278 Posts
commsysman, this to me sounds like a serious hearing impairment loss. As a phonetician, I would strongly advise getting your hearing checked. You must be suffering from upper frequency loss since lower frequencies affect your perception of sound clarity. Which, therefore, explains your preference for smaller speaker drivers. Otherwise, we'd all be rocking our phone speakers instead of big speaker boxes around the room, right?

Moving along. Even if phone audio was extended down to 100 Hz, I'm willing to put my hand in fire if someone would rather talk over the phone line than over Skype or any other VoIP service which doesn't limit the frequency band. In many languages certain vocals go well beyond 3400 Hz and they are simply indistinguishable from other similar vocals in a phone conversations. This presents a big issue for elders who have natural hearing loss in the upper frequencies as they're the most vulnerable. If military with all their funds and technology use such narrow frequency range then that's just sad to me. Nobody deserves to hear limited audio in this century.

That being sad, jjclecky will undoubtedly hear the difference going to bigger speaker driver such as RC-62 II and it has been confirmed by many satisfied owners in the Klipsch owner thread . Though, if he has space and $ he could benefit even more going up to RC-64 II.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by highd3f  /t/1523854/klipsch-rc-52ll-vs-rc-62ll#post_24519604

Moving along. Even if phone audio was extended down to 100 Hz, I'm willing to put my hand in fire if someone would rather talk over the phone line than over Skype or any other VoIP service .
The needs of telephone transmission are very different from those of loudspeakers, but they aren't totally unrelated. The short answer where vocal clarity is concerned is that the midrange is all important, and improvements in the lows and highs won't make much of a difference. But we don't just listen to voices in the center channel. All things considered it's best to have a center with response as close as possible to, if not identical to, the L/R mains.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The RC 62II is a difference maker over the 52II. When I ordered my RF set I went with the 62II and the RC 52II and after a week I was calling for an exchange for the RF 82II and the RC 62II and I'm so glad I did. With the 62II your set till you want to further upgrade to the RF 7's

·
Registered
2,029 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsysman  /t/1523854/klipsch-rc-52ll-vs-rc-62ll#post_24518517

For best clarity in the center channel, I have found that larger is often worse, not better.

The center channel is best limited to 120 Hz and above, which makes smaller drivers ideal.

The bass should all come from the front main speakers, not the center.

My advice would be to not make that change.

It might be a step in the wrong direction.

To the OP please don't take this advise. He must be looking for an argument because he can't be serious.

Anyways I have owned all the reference line center speakers. The 62 is a great jump in every way. The only thing is its much bigger so placement can be harder in some spots.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
He also likes to repost the same post about how Klipsch Reference line is the worst sounding speaker he has ever heard and how they are rated soo horribly.

Anyway, I enjoy by bigger center for sure. I watched desolation of smaug this weekend and Smaug's voice was killer and really ran through you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts