AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Denon 3803 and a new Sony 985V 400 disk DVD changer. I want to add a completely new speaker system for my home theater/living room.

It's a large, carpeted room with an open kitchen behind the seating area and very high (2-story) ceilings. The built-in cabinetry at the front of the room requires my 38" RCA HDTV/DirecTV set to be placed on the far left side. The fireplace is in the middle, bookcases above the TV on the left and on the right. Enclosed cabinets below TV on left and below bookcases on right of fireplace. The components will be below the TV inside the cabinets. My main front speakers need to be bookcase sized (the spouse factor!)

Here's what I am considering...

I am a longtime Klipsch owner (Horns, Heresy and Forte) and I love their sound. I still have a pair of Fortes that my son has now inherited to use in the upstairs gameroom. I have been looking at the Klipsch Reference series sat/sub combos with this as a possibility:

center: RCX-4

front/rear: RSX-5

sub: RW-12

I see mention in the forums of a "cinema 8" and "cinema 10" package but I can't find this on the Klipsch website.

My other choice has come down to the Onix Rocket Package #5 ( http://www.**********/products_produc...s&product=14.1 ) which includes:

front: RS-250

center: RSC-200

rear: RSS-300

sub ELT SW-10

I have never heard the Rocket system but ALL the reviews are excellent. The forum members--for the most part--back up the reviews with high praise for sound and build quality. Of course, the Rocket system will cost more than the Klipsch and I want to make sure that I am focusing on comparable systems.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
For you, I would suggest the Klipsch Reference satellites for two reasons.

Number one: I am also a very big fan of the Klipsch sound (I own Cornwalls, Heresies and some RS-7's) and I have been for many years. The reason I would recommend the Klipsch series to you is because I looked at all of the rave reviews on here of the Rockets also and I decided to give them an audition in my home. The sound wasn't even remotely the same... The sound was just too laid back and not nearly as detailed. Try as I might I just couldn't get myself to get used to the new sound and since it looks like you have the same kind of tastes, I figure you will have the same feelings.

Number two: Klipsch currently has a pretty good offer going. If you purchase a Cinema 8 or 10 package, they will send you an extra free Reference Satellite to give you 6.1 surround (which is approx. a $200 value according to Klipsch)

Also, on another note, the Rockets you have listed really aren't in the same "league" as the Ref. Sats. The closer comparison would be the Klipsch Reference bookshelf speakers (any reference model that begins with "RB" ex. RB-3, RB-75 etc). The sound quality gained by moving to the bookshelf speakers would be considerable. You might want to give that some thought.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SRHookEm
I am a longtime Klipsch owner (Horns, Heresy and Forte) and I love their sound.
Based on this you will not be satisfied with the Rockets, not that they are bad but they are on the opposite side of the spectrum when it comes to sound compared to the Klipsch sound. I was able to compare the Rockets in my home with my Klipsch RF-7 series and they are as different sounding as night and day. Stick with the Klipsch. I would tell the same to someone who lets say had owned Rockets for years and was considering Klipsch but loved the sound of the Rockets. They would not be satisfied with the Klipsch.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Kipp said it well. I'd go with Klipsch if you already know that's the kind of sound you're looking for. I wouldn't classify them as comparable systems, what is one design's strength is also it's weakness and vice versa, depending on your taste.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwally
Kipp said it well. I'd go with Klipsch if you already know that's the kind of sound you're looking for. I wouldn't classify them as comparable systems, what is one design's strength is also it's weakness and vice versa, depending on your taste.
Holy crap!!! We agree on something. :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Kipp & Walt, can you guys just hold that pose for one minute, I want to grab my camera. This is truly a "Kodak Moment".:D

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
When it hit me later that I'd actually said "Kipp said it well", I fell down the stairs and put a 6 foot hole in my wall. Everything's cool now though, I had a full roll of duct tape to use on my arm and enough left over for the wall.

What the hey, a good post is a good post and grudges are for sissies!

·
Registered
63 Posts
LMAO

Insignificant post but I had to do it.....Wally I'm still cracking up here from that mental image.....LOL

Morris

·
Registered
512 Posts
And they said all the members here didn't get along. ;)

Anyway, you might want to check out what Axiom has to offer. They'd be much more consistent to the Klipsch sound than Rockets.

·
Registered
280 Posts
As a longtime owner of Heresy's I would say stay with what you know. I am sure the rockets are good but for that dynamic horn sound Klipsch can't be beat for the price.

·
Premium Member
11,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bigwally
When it hit me later that I'd actually said "Kipp said it well", I fell down the stairs and put a 6 foot hole in my wall.
Any chance you have some video of that??? I will pay for the footage. Very funny!!! You get the three big grins!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by F355
www.audioenvy.com you be the judge.

thats all

best wishes
That really tells me nothing. This site is for auditioning products sold through the internet only. Obviously the Rockets fall into this category but Onix allows a 30 day auditioning period--in my home--not another person's home.

E Shriver:

Do you consider the Ref Sats to be the "low end" of the reference series? I may be misunderstanding the post--you think I'll like the sound of the ref sats better than the Rockets but you end by saying the Rockets are in a different "league". How so?

Do you have any info on the cinema packages? What they contain, pricing, etc.? I can't find the link to it anywhere.

·
Registered
799 Posts
SRHookEm, I figured you are in Texas? Based on your description I don't think the Rocket system you have in mind will work. It costs more than the comparable Klipsch system, you like the Klipsch horn sound and the Rockets (rear ported) just wouldn't work in an 'enclosed' environment.

Btw, the audioenvy link is meant to let you request audition with local Rocket owners and has nothing to do with AV123 or it's in home audition warranty.

PF

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
pmf: yes, I misread the post about audioenvy.com. I thought he was pointing to a site that compared the two systems but he was saying that I should hear for myself. I get it now.

I am in Houston. Hook Em Horns!

The Rocket system is a bookcase system. I would imagine that it is designed to be placed in an enclosed shelf--just like the Klipsch. The rear speakers in that package will be mounted flush on an open wall. Only the fronts would be in the bookcase. How else would this system be placed?

As for cost, I don't mind the extra expense. I just want the best sound. I have pretty much decided to stay with Klipsch but it may not be with the Ref Sats. I may go to the square, bookcase models.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:

E Shriver:

Do you consider the Ref Sats to be the "low end" of the reference series? I may be misunderstanding the post--you think I'll like the sound of the ref sats better than the Rockets but you end by saying the Rockets are in a different "league". How so?

Do you have any info on the cinema packages? What they contain, pricing, etc.? I can't find the link to it anywhere. [/b]
The Reference Satellites are definitely the low end of the Reference series in sound quality, but by no means do they sound bad (actually, they pack quite a punch for their size... I auditioned them at my local Klipsch retailer). I can only assume the main focus was to design speakers that are small and aesthetically pleasing, and we all know that physics dictates bigger is better (just think Klipschorns vs. your Chorus vs. the Heresy... All great speakers but the bigger the horn or cabinet, the fuller they sound with better extension and higher sensitivity). So, for that reason, the Klipsch bookshelf speakers are going to deliver a fuller sound than the sats.

The Cinema 10 package includes 5 RSX-5 (the larger of the two satellite models) and an RW-10. The Cinema 8 just has the RSX-4 sats (lower sensitivity and lower power handling) plus the RW-10.

You mentioned that you don't mind cost so much and want the best sound. With that in mind I'd personally recommend the RB-75's. These have the same tweeters as the RF-7's (Klipsch's current flagship floor standing speaker) so these will give you the most dynamic sound out of all of their bookshelfs and probably get you the most sound for the size.

What did I mean when I said that those rockets were in a different league? I mean that they were bookshelf speakers and had more cabinet area, which overall leads to a fuller sound... Basically it would almost be an apples and oranges comparison. A better product to compare to the rockets would be the Klipsch RB-35 or RB-75's. They're more in the "same league."

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Here's another Rocket owner saying that you are probably better off staying with Klipsch. Rockets and Klipschs are very different speakers in presentation. It's not that one is necessarily better than the other, but these two brands make it really easy to form an definitive preference.

If you already like the sound of Klipsch horns, than I doubt Rockets are going to be your cup of tea. You should listen for yourself of course if you are able, but I'd bet you'll probably stick with the sound signature that you prefer.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Quote:

The Rocket system is a bookcase system. I would imagine that it is designed to be placed in an enclosed shelf--just like the Klipsch. The rear speakers in that package will be mounted flush on an open wall. Only the fronts would be in the bookcase. How else would this system be placed?

"Bookshelf loudspeaker" is a bit of a misnomer. The description is handy for describing the physical size of the speaker, but no speaker designer that I'm aware of actually designs speakers of that variety to sound their best on an actual bookshelf.

Speakers are typically designed to provide a determined response in an anechoic chamber, freestanding away from physical boundries, and it's assumed that the end user will provide a similar environment by placing the speakers on stands away from all walls. When one places a speaker in a bookcase or up against a wall, the placement boundry tends to exaggerate the lower frequencies (wooly sounding bass) and has similar negative effects on imaging via compromise of the baffle plane's diffraction characteristics (smeared/incoherent placement of voices and instruments). A dome or concentric ring tweeter's energy radiates in a half-sphere, so the response you hear from your chair is affected by everything that lies within that area, up to and including the speaker's front baffle.

If you need to place your main speakers on the bookshelf for WAF (cheaper and easier than a divorce), the Klipsch's horn design negates the baffle diffraction problem due to it's comparitive shotgun directivity, but you still might hear a bit of a bass bloat. To reduce that, do run all speakers "small" in your Denon and consider using a higher than typical crossover frequency...say 120Hz as the crossover point. This means that deep male voices etc. will come out of your subwoofer making it audibly localizable, so the typical corner loading sub arrangement will be improved upon in this regard by placing your sub somewhere between the main speakers.

Disclaimer: In my opinion all of this matters quite a bit less for movies than it does for music, and what differences that do exist cover only the range from "good" to "outstanding". Kinda like differences in beer where as my old man explained to me years ago, the scale starts at "good"!

·
Registered
11,586 Posts
Quote:

Both the Rocket RS250's and the Klipsch RSX-5's (according to the specs at both AV123 and Klipsch) are ported speakers, with their ports being in the back of them. So the LAST thing you would want to do with either of them, is place them on or in a enclosed shelf, or with the backs of them placed right up to a wall or any other objects. Actually no speaker should be put in a enclosed shelf, but with rear ported ones it's even more important not to place them in that manner. As it will really hurt the way they will sound.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
It is true that if you like Klipsch, you may not like warmer speakers, but it may still be worth a listen.

I was a "bright speaker" fan ( but more in the Infinity/Boston Acoustics camp than Klipsch) but was amazed at the warmth and midrange power of the Rockets, i wanted "a change" and something i could crank up (BAs sound great low but get a bit piercing at high volumes).

So who knows, you may like em! Or try to listen to other brands, you may find the best of both worlds in some speaker company out there :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.