AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
these older speakers from around 2000 which are in good shape I have a good chance on getting. should I be worried about 8 year old speakers? he said they have always been in the theater and not abused. I have a chance to pick them up and a klipsch 12 sub for 450.00. would it be a good deal?

·
Registered
635 Posts
The refined version RF-35 based on RF-3 are on sale in a few online stores. They cost a couple of more hundreds. A pair of RF-3 and a sub for 450 sounds fair.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cool, I listened to some rf-82's yesterday, are they going to compare to them?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have the rf-3 II speakers and have had for a while. I also have a pair of Paradigm Studio 40s IV sitting on top of them currently in audition phase. While the voices on paradigm are superb, the Klipsch is much more effecient and with dual 8" woofers, have loads more bass.

Bottom line is that I'm still up in the air about what to do if that tells you anything about the quality of the RF-3.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The RF-3II were great in their time and for the money. I have a basement full of Klipsch speakers. I have a pair of RF-5s and a pair of RF-3II a RC-3 center and a KSW-12 subwoofer. I have been trying to sell for 600.00 total, so far no buyers. I live in Louisville, KY.

I found the 3's to be in the box compared to the 5's sound. The xover is superior in the 5's as the horn. Klipsch has a undeserved reputation of being bright and brash, which they are new. They have a long break-in period so a 8 year old Klipsch may be a blessing. Somethings Klipsch speakers do better than any other, such as piano. A lot of rock n rollers used the La Scala's in the old days.

I can't say whether the price is good or not since I can't seem to fire sale mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find the RF3's to be overall mediocre. I have them side by side with my old kg3.5 and they are only marginally better at producing a fuller sound stage. Not that impressive considering it has twice as many 8" drivers. I picked up my RF 3's for $200 and my KG3.5's for $30.... but to be fair, I had to fix the common cabinet issues with the 3.5's!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts