AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for speakers right now and I narrowed the field to Klipsch. I really like the RF-35's but I can get the 3II's for much cheaper. Both these speakers have dual 8" cones and as far as I can tell are pretty identical. Does anyone know more about the differences, and if so are the 35's worth the extra coin?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Couldn't tell you. I've never AB'd them.

Try asking over at www.klipsch.com

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have the rf3iis and have audtioned the 35s i could tell you that the only real diff. is that the 35s are a little more bass responsive, however the rf3ii are a very sensitive speaker and require very little power to drive them, this is a very good speaker and you really wont be able to tell the diff between the two. save a couple of bucks and grab the rf3iis while you can, you wont regret it. now after a year or so youll want the rf7s....good luck.

·
Registered
201 Posts
For the most part, the two are very similar. The most significant difference is probably the xover point. 2600hz in the 35 & 1975hz in the 3II. The 35 also adds magnetic grille attachments and an integrated horn flare in the front baffle. Power handling is also different. 125 for the 35 and 150 in the 3II. The 35 is also available in light cherry finish whereas the 3II was only produced in black.

I have a pair of RF-3IIs and am very happy with them. I did audition the RF-35s afterwards and like mine better. It seems they have more low end punch even though they are both rated to 37hz. No regrets here. As ricadee1 mentioned, if you can locate the 3IIs for a good price, go for them.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice, I've listened to both and really can't hear a $400 difference. Now I just need to locate some new RF3's in the DFW area.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
I too have the RF-3IIs and I think they sound better than the RF-35s, they just seem more dynamic sounding and Klipsch-like to me.

I cannot believe there are still RF-3IIs around to be had......snag em up if the price is right because they are sweet....be sure and find an RC-3II to go with them because the RC-35 is a real stinker of a center channel IMO....the RC-3II is sweet though.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I wish I could find a pair of RF-3IIs. The only speakers left from that line I can find are the RF-5's and RF-7's which are out of my price range. I would definitely snag the RF-3II over the RF-35. I think it is a no brainer since they are cheaper. Good luck with your purchase.

Pikasauce

PS. Would you mind PMing and letting me know if the store you found them at has any more or how I could contact them?

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
After driving 79 miles, I picked up a pair of RF-3IIs today. I'm breaking them in now. My system is now complete. Thanks for the inspiration Pikasauce. On an odd side not, does your handle have to do with a fraternity?

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
Congratulations! I have the RS-3IIs for surrounds. I hope you enjoy your RFs as much.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Thanks DMF! I too have the RS-3IIs for surrounds. THe RF-3IIs replaced my RB-3s for fronts. I'm really impressed by the RFs thus far. I'm hearing details in songs that I never heard with the RB3s and the imaging is also greatly improved. I found myself checking my receiver to make sure there the DSPs were off as I swore the RC-3II center was on. So now I'm gonna put the RB-3s as the surround backs for 7.1 once I upgrade receivers in a few months. :)

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Klipsch, I'm glad I could be inspirational, I just picked up mine yesterday from Ultimate Electronics. They sound great, the only thing is that my room is small and the bass wavelengths can't complete a full period, but I am moving soon so they should sound even better.

And yes, my handle does have fraternity reference: Pi Kappa Alpha.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.