AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone I demoed a complete Klipsch RF set up today and I must say I was blown away. The RF-7ii's were a lot bigger than I expected and sounded great! After getting a out the door cost @ wwstereo it was just over $5k. This included 2 RF-7ii's, a RC-64ii center and 2 RS-62ii's. I decided to come home and check other sites to see if I could find the towers a little cheaper since they were over $3k a lone. Most site have them for about the same price, but the original RF-7's seem to be had for a lot cheaper.

With that being sad is there any real difference from the 1st generation RF-7 series towers compared to the new RF-7ii's? If so what are they and is it a big enough difference to the ears and to warrant the price difference? The set up will be pushed via my Emotiva XPA 5 so there will be a good amount of power going to them. Also are the original RF-7's just has tall as the newer RF-7ii's? Because I really liked the size of them

Thank you

Judd

·
Registered
241 Posts
Agree, a lot of people just hear some Klipsch budget models at BB and figure they all sound so-so. Their Reference (and Palladium
) model lines sound really, really good in my opinion.

FWIW, that price sounds like a good one. Were you at the WW Stereo in Ardmore? Their demo rooms are mighty impressive.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
This is from Klipsch site.

New and Improved

Now in its fifth generation, Reference II speakers boast enhanced features, including re-engineered drivers and a new crossover system, to capture your attention and excite your emotions. In addition to the improved sound quality, the look of big sound has been redefined throughout the line with sophisticated cabinetry, refreshed logos and rounded feet.

You can look at both and compare on Klipsch site. I really like to stretch a dollar myself, and I would get the previous generation as I don't think differences will be as noticable as the price tag, but thats just my opinion. If its not a must get now and you are like me and don't mind used, they come up on the market from time to time for even better savings.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I was thinking about the rf82's but then saw some used rf7's for a pretty decent price. I could never afford the rf7 II but for under a grand for the older series might be something to consider.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by a/v HD fan /forum/post/19600257

Agree, a lot of people just hear some Klipsch budget models at BB and figure they all sound so-so. Their Reference (and Palladium

FWIW, that price sounds like a good one. Were you at the WW Stereo in Ardmore? Their demo rooms are mighty impressive.

I almost think they should have spun off another company (to sell less expensive gear) before putting their name on some of the synergy line and other low level stuff.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsoul /forum/post/19600397

I almost think they should have spun off another company (to sell less expensive gear) before putting their name on some of the synergy line and other low level stuff.

I agree.. I've always owned mid/upper level Reference (RF-5 series).. now Heritage and THX Ultra2. That other stuff gave them a stigma.

·
Registered
241 Posts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdntrxi /forum/post/19600435

I agree.. I've always owned mid/upper level Reference (RF-5 series).. now Heritage and THX Ultra2. That other stuff gave them a stigma.

Agree as well.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
+1 I sometimes wonder if the people that bash Klipsch sound have listened to a mid level reference series or better properly set up in a treated home theater room. I bet they have heard Klipsch in a commercial theater and not even known it. I love the dynamics and level of detail.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:

Yes I went to the Ardmore location this time. I was impressed with there new HT room

Judd

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp /forum/post/19600637

+1 I sometimes wonder if the people that bash Klipsch sound have listened to a mid level reference series or better properly set up in a treated home theater room. I bet they have heard Klipsch in a commercial theater and not even known it. I love the dynamics and level of detail.

This is exactly what I noticed over my Jamo's. There was more noticed detail and a fuller sound. I was in Heaven and almost sad when the demo was over

From what was posted above about the change with the ii series it seems like sound wise they should be pretty close even with a driver change. So I'd imagine if I got the older RF7's to save some money and stuck them with the center and surrounds from the ii series all should still flow very well. I did notice that the Cherry finish is different from the first to second version. Heck maybe I should just get all first gen of the series. The cross over change in all is nice, but again like the Towers, does it warrant the price?

I priced it out:

First gen set up new: Approx $2385.00

ii set up new: over $5k

Judd

·
Registered
5,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amheck /forum/post/19600383

I'm kinda wondering the same thing. I was thinking about the rf82's but then saw some used rf7's for a pretty decent price. I could never afford the rf7 II but for under a grand for the older series might be something to consider.

Hands down I would purchase a used pair of RF-7s (in the local market) compared to purchasing new RF-82s for near the same price...The only exception to consider is finding a center channel to match the RF-7s for your front soundstage if they are going to be used for multichannel material. Note: the RF-82s are nice speakers but we are talking about comparing them to a great speaker, imo.}

·
Registered
5,134 Posts

Quote:

My guess is they made considerably more money in the Synergy line and lower end Reference than they did anything made in Hope over the last 10 years....Fwiw, after PWK died the Klipsch Group purchased several other speakers companies and a few years later drastically cut the workforce in Arkansas.

My guess is they don't sell many Heritage or Palladium products and their THX ultra II line have some competition at that MSRP price point.

·
Registered
773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler /forum/post/19601673

My guess is they made considerably more money in the Synergy line and lower end Reference than they did anything made in Hope over the last 10 years....Fwiw, after PWK died the Klipsch Group purchased several other speakers companies and a few years later drastically cut the workforce in Arkansas.

My guess is they don't sell many Heritage or Palladium products and their THX ultra II line have some competition at that MSRP price point.

Your right I suspect about making a lot of money off low end products. It can also be the death knell for an entire brand, short term money can equal long term failure and disgrace. Unless your name is Sony
Then you can milk your good work for decades!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
I priced it out:

Personally I don't think the upgrades warrant paying double the price. I would match up the front three in generation for best results. You can buy two nice matching ID subwoofers and DIY acoustic panels with the savings to have a killer system.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Kamp
I priced it out:

Personally I don't think the upgrades warrant paying double the price. I would match up the front three in generation for best results. You can buy two nice matching ID subwoofers and DIY acoustic panels with the savings to have a killer system.
That;s what I was thinking and thought I'd be completely pleased with the first gen like I was demoing the second gens. I already have some subs (ED A2-300 and A7s-450) but might upgrade again in the future so money saved could go there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Traveler
Fwiw, The Klipsch Group owns Jamo.
Thanks for the response Zen. I do know that Klipsch bout out Jamo, but when they did the E series line which I have six E660 Towers were still made by Jamo. I believe (but could be wrong) that they were discontinued around the time buyout talks were going on.

-Judd

·
Registered
535 Posts
Anyone wanting to improve their RF7s, get a hold of "Dean G" on the Klipsch forums.

He can modify the crossovers in the RF7 and the RC7 (I paid under $500 to get mine done) and it makes a great improvement.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts

Quote:

Just to backup your point, I purchased the F3's, etc. when CC went out of business. The highs were pretty good, but the midrange was bad. For having dual 8" mids/lows they should have been a lot better. Sold the system for a huge loss and moved on to Definitive Technology after hearing the BP7002's. Much more my style now lol

I considered the Klipsch Reference, but after spending that much on a Klipsch system that never lived up to my expectations, I had to go in a different direction. I still think they made/make nice computer speakers though

·
Registered
354 Posts
I was able to get the RC-64 ii for ~$760 from wwstereo during a sale (probably the best I have seen). At the same time, I wanted to pick up the R7ii, as they were around ~$980 each. I repeat, that was for a new RF-7ii. The only reason i didn't buy it is I didn't have the funds (didn't have the funds for the center to begin with but couldn't resist that price). i curren't have the RC-64ii and the RF82. When i did have a receiver, the sound was amazing

just fyi, there looks like some news about Klipsch being bought by another company. Don't know what that means about future prices.

·
Registered
5,134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1966 /forum/post/19793257

Anyone wanting to improve their RF7s, get a hold of "Dean G" on the Klipsch forums.

He can modify the crossovers in the RF7 and the RC7 (I paid under $500 to get mine done) and it makes a great improvement.

How long did you own your RF-7/RC-7 before you had Dean work on your crossovers and why did you have it done?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts