AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering some options for a surround system. I need to know from some "audiophiles" that know more than I do about sound (which doesn't take much at this point) what would be my best option for the best listening experience.

I cannot keep my eye off the Klipsch RF-83's and have decided no matter what I will use them as the front L/R main speakers, matching them with the RW-12d, and RC-42. I will be powering them with the Denon AVR-3808CI.

One of my biggest challenges is that most rear surrounds are "car speakers", meaning they are small and most of the time require some type of stand or mounting and are never a full floor standing speaker. With my unique situation I cannot use "car speakers" for my rears, my wife hates them and has made me promise to put full standing or nothing.

My only options are to use some kind of floor standing speakers for my rears. My problem is space in the rear and my listening area sucks acoustically. I need slim/slender speakers because of the two separate entrances into the rear of the room, I need to have them slender enough to allow people comfortably to go between them and the couch on both sides. I do have the room to place RF-63's, but it would be a tighter space than I would prefer, so that is why the Mirage's are appearing to be a potential solution because they are about 5" in diameter.

The Mirage Omnisats are pretty impressive for dispersing sound in an "omni-directional" way, which is why I am thinking that these would work wonderfully for my rears. I never thought if them as my first line front end speakers, they never impressed me as "THE" speaker, but they do have a "wide range" sound to them, like no other speaker. This is why I cannot shake the thought that I could use them as rears, they disperse the sound in an omni directional way - isn't that what surrounds do?

I also am considering the Klipsch XF-48 speakers as the rears but these are more forward pointing speakers and do not disperse the sound like the Mirage OS3's do, so I am not sure if this is a viable solution.

ROOM: From sitting on the couch I am facing 4 full length windows which my TV sits in front of the center set. Behind the couch is a 1/2 wall, or a "bar" that the top half is open into the kitchen. The room has standard 10' walls and carpeted floors. I have a fireplace with mantle on the left side of the room and another full floor to ceiling window on the right. There are two entrances to the room, one from the kitchen, the other a straight shot to the front door (past the formal living/dining). Acoustically I know this sucks, which is why I am trying to get the right set of speakers to help with the bad layout but still sound good.

Would the Mirage OS3's work in this situation for the rear surrounds with the Klipsch set up front? What would your suggestions be instead?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Going with a different brand for the rears is OK. The Front 3 are the ones you really need to match. Ideally all 5 speakers should be from the same line, especially for multi-channel music.

Some will say towers for rears are a waste. I won't. I would love to have towers for all 5 speakers as I really like Concert Blu-Rays. Go with the same line if you listen to Multi-channel music. If this is mostly for movies, try the Mirage if you can return them. It should work fine if you can't.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
mbyrnes - ty for your input. I also considered the RF-63's as the rears but was worried they would not disperse the sound like the Omni's do. The RS-42 speakers are bi-directional, which made me think that a standard tower like the RF-63 would not displace the sound like the RS-42's ones do. This is why I considered the OS3FS, because the Mirage surrounds are basically the top portion of the OS3-FS speakers and I know these throw sound out every direction possible where the RF-63's send it basically forward only which was my concern. I listened to these Mirage's for about 2 hours at Best Buy last year when they had the V2 towers, obviously not much of a jump to the V3's, so I know they are basically the same.

If I went with a tower that is from the same "Reference Series", I would have to do the RF-63's because they are the RF-83's little brother and aesthetically would match. Sound is my concern here though.

I will be doing about 50% music, 30% Movies, and about 20% gaming with these. Everything from "Action/Sci-fi" to "Chick flicks" for the movies and Metallica/Ozzy/Pink Floyd/Disturbed (when wife is away) to Madonna/Phil Collins/Blackeyed Peas (when she is home) and lets not forget the occasional Crysis/FEAR2/and Far Cry2 PC games I will play with these as well (I will always be a kid at heart). We also enjoy a variety of trance and ambient music. So I am hoping these would fit that bill. We are not "audiophiles" but we do enjoy music when it sounds good and I most certainly can tell the difference.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts