AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Yamaha RX-V1300 with Klipsch RF-3II's for the front main channels, a RC-3II for center, HSU VTF3 for Sub....and I'm running some good Sony Speakers for the Rear L&R and Rear Center Channels (w/Klipsch KSW-12 connected to Rear L&R also).

I've decided to go with another pair of RF-3II's for Rear L&R and another RC-3II for Rear Center.

My question is that since the RF-3II's are Floor Standing they are not as elevated as typical Surround speakers that are hung or shelved on the wall.....would the height be an issue with regards to sound quality in a Home theater setting?

How much am I gaining by going with larger floor standing speakers than smaller surrounds??

Thanks

·
Registered
140 Posts
You are getting very good stuff when you match the mains and sides - a seamless sound flow that will, most likely, surprise you from first listening on. My experience was near astounding when I did the same.

As to placement for the sides - that is more difficult to gauge. In my initial testing (I have Heresy in the 5 primary speaker positions) my room was not large enough to tolerate the Heresy near the floor or on stands. This meant that I really only had one sweet spot in the room and since the HT stuff is rarely viewed alone this was not an optimum setup for me. When I raised the speaker to about 7.5 ft. the effect was very good and also made my sides work for most music.

On the other hand, if I had two good back corners that would put the sides behind the main sitting area I can only envision good sound from the towers for both HT and Music. I would most assuredly start with the matching speakers and see if I could find the right placement.

My 2 cents...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbawat
You are getting very good stuff when you match the mains and sides - a seamless sound flow that will, most likely, surprise you from first listening on. My experience was near astounding when I did the same.

As to placement for the sides - that is more difficult to gauge. In my initial testing (I have Heresy in the 5 primary speaker positions) my room was not large enough to tolerate the Heresy near the floor or on stands. This meant that I really only had one sweet spot in the room and since the HT stuff is rarely viewed alone this was not an optimum setup for me. When I raised the speaker to about 7.5 ft. the effect was very good and also made my sides work for most music.

On the other hand, if I had two good back corners that would put the sides behind the main sitting area I can only envision good sound from the towers for both HT and Music. I would most assuredly start with the matching speakers and see if I could find the right placement.

My 2 cents...
Thanks!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bubbawat

My 2 cents...
I just got this response from the Home Theater Spot forum asking the same question....what do you think??

"Lufters, unless you like to listen to everything really loud and most of your listening is devoted to DVD-A or SACD, I'd save some money and go with the RS-IIs. They fill a room with surround effects much more effectively than the RF-3IIs would."

John

Mitsubishi WS-65857 (CraigM'd)

Harman/Kardon AVR510

Klipsch RF-3II fronts (bi-wired)

Klipsch RC-3II center (bi-wired)

Klipsch RS-3II surrounds

Hsu VTF-2 subwoofer

JVC XV-FA90BK 7-disc progressive scan DVD changer

JVC HR-S4600U SVHS deck

Pioneer CLD-D703 laserdisc player (w/AC-3 upgrade)

Nakamichi DE-1 RF Demodulator

Echostar 6000 (w/8VSB & HDSTU)

XBox (w/ HD Pack)

AMD 333 MP3 server

4 x 25 watt Aura Bass Shakers powered by a

Radio Shack STA-5500 Receiver

Sony RM-AV2000 Remote Commander

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am using 4 Klipsch RS3's as surrounds - 2 at the sides and 2 at the rear, about 4 ft apart. The sides are complemented with a Klipsch KSW-10 sub as well, situated at the rear. All surrounds are mounted 6 ft above ground.

The resultant surround sound is stunning.

Go for all Klipsch.

·
Registered
140 Posts
>>Lufters, unless you like to listen to everything really loud and most of your listening is devoted to DVD-A or SACD, I'd save some money and go with the RS-IIs. They fill a room with surround effects much more effectively than the RF-3IIs would."

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by lufters
I just got this response from the Home Theater Spot forum asking the same question....what do you think??

"Lufters, unless you like to listen to everything really loud and most of your listening is devoted to DVD-A or SACD, I'd save some money and go with the RS-IIs. They fill a room with surround effects much more effectively than the RF-3IIs would."

John
I agree with that. The RS series will offer better surround effects. I use the RS-7's in my 7.1 setup.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Technically....is there a right or wrong answer to this?....or just a matter of preference/opinion?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.