AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a HT room but will use it for music as well, DVD-A. I want to have five towers because of multi channel music.

I am already using ONKYO TR600, Toshiba DVD/Audio, Sanyo Front projection, SVS 25-31 PCi sub.

I will be using these as 5 maybe 6.2 surround.

Not starting flame just looking for some newbie audiophile advice.

Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really liked the sound of the Klipsch when I demoed them against Paradigm studio 60s. Paradigms sound good too but needed alot more power to achieve equal detail.

I haven't heard the diamonds and think there sensitivity is only @ 86

What do you think about towers instead of bookshelfs or surrounds?

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
Towers will obviously be fine. If you are looking for decent surrounds, the RS-7's should be more than enough to satisfy your needs. I was listening to some music lastnight in 7 channel stereo in the dark and it is amazing what the RS-7's put out. I had the RS-3's before I upgraded to the 7's. There is a moderate difference. Keep in mind the RS-7's are large.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Would the rs7s be better than the rf3s? Placement is not a problem and the room is going to be 16x20. I was under the impression that towers would be better for multichannel music.

I can get 5 rf3s for less than 1800.

I thought aboout rocket 550s but I get exhausted reading through those forums trying to find out how they compare to the rf3 IIs. I emailed their tech division with the question over a week ago and haven't heard a thing.

From what I have been reading here is that the Klipsch are bright, bass forward and not great for music. But I thought they sounded pretty damn good, they actually gave me goose bumps. Maybe I like a bright, bass forward not very musical speaker then?

·
Premium Member
11,899 Posts
IMO the Klipsch are great for music. Some of the best I have heard. The 7's will offer better performance than the 3's. The 3's may be less expensive. If you have the $$$ go with the 7's. They look great. The only drawback with the 7's is mounting them vs the 3' which obviously would sit on the floor.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I don't want to start another Klipsch vs Rocket war and remember this is just one persons opinion. I switched from Klipsch Ref IIIs to a Rocket package II (750s,200,300s plus a pair of 250s in the rear). I thought the Ref IIIs were pretty good for HT although the Ref III center can't come close to the Rocket center.

The reason I ended up selling the Klipsch was that music on them was very fatiguing in my room with my electronics (Denon 3801). I got to the point were I couldn't even listen to music on them. The reason I got intrigued by the Rockets was how everyone described them as lush and laid back. I was worried about all the Rocket hype but for me they have more then lived up to the hype. I really love the sound and and rediscovered by CD collection.

The other big selling point on the Rockets is their finish which is second to none. My Ref IIIs build quality and finish was pretty bad, although I hear the Ref7s look better. With the 550 package deals AV123 has going they would be hard to resist if I already didn't have a set.

The Klipsch have a distinct sound that a lot of people love, but then so do the Rockets. The wild card in all this is that any speaker you chose may sound radically different when you get them in your room. I think this is particularly true for the Klipsch as I believe my room contributed to their harshness. Anyway good luck in your hunt.

Tom

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom,

Thanks for the info. I was thinking of doing 5 towers, either all 550s or rf3 IIs.

It is my understanding that the closer you can get your front 3 to match to better they blend, therefore the better the sound.

I emailed av123 about the 550s for HT and surround and I have never gotten a response.

The ref 7s we were talking about earlier were the surrounds to go with rf3 IIs in the front.

I think center channel design as it is is for sitting on an entertainment center or atop a tv. I have a projection screen with a lower edge that will be mounted higher than the top of a tower. So I can do 3 towers in the front. I then figured might as well match em up all the way around, especially for surround audio( DVD-A/SACD)

Thanks

Don

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Don - I also have a projector and have thought of going with all towers too. You must have a very high ceiling to have room underneath the screen. The only way I could do it would be to get a perfed screen and put the center behind it. I plan to get into the multi-channel hi-rez audio stuff but I use my system for at least 75% HT so there's no rush to go to the towers.

AV123 does get behind on email occasionally but I have always gotten very quick responses by posting on the big thread here or better yet over on their own forum at **********. I know this will come off as sounding biased but the 550s or 750s, IMHO are light years ahead of the Ref3s in many ways. I know that sounds like just another Rocket Zombie but at least I can say I owned both of them.

Speaking of multi-channel did you read about AV123's upcoming super tweeter add-on geared towards hi-rez sources? NO i don't work for them. :)

Tom

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haven't heard about it. top of screen at 9 ft. I don't get bent out of shape with all the rocket talk, only more interested in them.

Do the rockets sound similar to new NHT S4 towers, athenas, or anything else?

thanks for your response

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Don- I haven't heard any of those speakers you mentioned. I got the Rockets pretty much on blind faith. I did check out the high end Aerials and B&Ws but never actually had any of them in my room. I think the Rockets held their own pretty well. I know it is difficult but there are numerous speaker comparisons in the big Rocket thread and over on the AV123 forum. It tedious doing the research but its also a lot of fun and rewarding. I seem to remember a lot of people comparing them to Sonus Faber and Polk.

Tom

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.