AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just about to purchase Yam 4600 and Klipsch RF35 7.1 system, this dealer strongly recommended that Yamaha and Klipsch is not a good combination.....too bright. I have auditioned the Klipsch with Yam 2500 at another dealer and was very impressed. Any opinions or experiences???

·
Premium Member
13,595 Posts
I have the 4600 with a full Klipsch setup, RC-7 CC, Forte's, L/R, (soon to be replaced by RB-75's) and RS-7's SS. It can be "bright" or "harsh" with some recordings, but only if the recording is bright or harsh to begin with. However, the THX processing usually takes care of it nicely. If I come across a track that is still too bright even with THX processing, I just turn the treble down a couple of dB, but I rarely have to do that.

I love the "forward" and "dynamic" nature of Klipsch speakers. Some people prefer a more "laid-back" sound. I have a friend with M&K THX speakers. They're very accurate, but to me, they sound distant and less engaging than my Klipsch's. I have another friend with Onix Rockets. They are are beautiful speakers and again very accurate. However, I prefer the immediacy and impact of my Klipsch setup, especially for movies, although I love music on my system as well.

Last night I watched the new Eagles DVD, Farewell 1. It's recorded in DTS 5.1. It was AWESOME, great sound and picture. The receiver did a stellar job of decoding and it has the power to drive my Klipsch's speakers to louder levels than I can tolerate. I set the volume at -20 and it was close to lifelike loudness.

The Yam. 4600 is a great receiver, very powerful and clean. I've had some problems with the HDMI switching, but I think the problem is actually with my STB/DVR, not the receiver. I have a thread on the Amps, Receivers and Processors forum on this subject. I have used the YPAO, but I have overridden some of the setting it generated. I changed some of the the bass management settings. I set the L/C/R speakers from "Large" to "Small" and dropped the crossover from 90 to 60 Hz. I left the PEQ settings alone, but I may play around with them some more. The GUI makes playing with these things much easier than the old Yamaha interface.

All-in-all, I like the Yammie better than the Onkyo TX-NR901 it replaced. The combo of the Yammie and Klipsch speakers is forward, dynamic, and in-your-face. Any excessive brightness, (which is totally recording dependant) can be tamed with THX processing and judicious use of tone controls.

If you get the system, let us know what you think.

Craig

·
Premium Member
13,595 Posts
What exactly is the " Klipsch RF35 7.1 system"? What CC and SS speakers are you getting? Also, what are your source compoinents? I will be very interested in your impressions of this system.

I should be getting my Klipsch RB-75's before the weekend. I will post back with my impressions of my new system as soon as I get them.

Craig

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In Klipsch's brochure they outline a 5.1 system. I was just going to add two more RS35 surrounds.

The center channel was going to be the RC35.

I am a month away from setting everything up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.