AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No bashing, just honest opinions. My local dealer has recommended either of these speaker sets for my new HT. I have listened to them at the store, but the environment is not ideal.

These will be powered by a Denon 5803 receiver only (no additional amp) and used for my HT only (no music).

Thanks in advance for everyones advice.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had considered the 100's but then heard RF7's and bought the Klipsch. After several months of enjoying the speakers, I went back to the Paradigm store to hear them again for better comparison and it was no contest....the Klipsch were definitely the way to go. I just sat there as they were being demonstrated and smirked that I had made the right choice. The salesman kept talking about Paradigms R&D etc., but they just sounded flat, not to mention that they had it hooked up to the d1 and an amp. My Klipsch sound better through a lowly 3805. People can talk about them being bright, but in my opinion it just isn't so. These speakers create a realism to the sound that I've never heard from any other speaker. I've said it before but when listening in the dark, it is truly like the singer being in the room...and that's for critical music. With home theater they have impact that will scare you at times. I run them from a Denon 3805 and find that it's a great combination. Not to mentiond that the Klipsch are much bigger and substantial looking which satisfies the primitive man in all of us! When I saw the Paradigm again I laughed at how small they looked.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, when it comes to speakers you will have to chose. This thread will fill up with votes one way or the other but in the end you will be listening and paying so you must decide. The Klipsch is very efficient and has great dynamics. The Paradigm is very good and may have an edge on music. Remember that much of the power of movies is derived from the music and the dialog, so your idea that listening to movies does not require great music reproduction is flawed. Even if your dealer has a flawed listening room, you will need to decide based on what you hear there. See if your dealer will let you take home a couple of the smaller bookshelf speakers home from each company such as a RB 35 and Studio 40 and compare them at home. The primary difference between these models and the big ones you are looking at is the deeper bass and ability to play louder. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Another vote for the RF-7s, especially for movies. Everything else sounds boring and lifeless to me. And if you're picking up an RC-7 to go at center as well.. you will not regret the decision.

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
i would recommend the RF-7's.....

extremely dynamic and detailed.... the paradugms are very nice speakers - but they don't seem to have the impact and dynamics of the klipsch reference series..... IMHO....

cheers!

:)

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jrb CO
No bashing, just honest opinions. My local dealer has recommended either of these speaker sets for my new HT. I have listened to them at the store, but the environment is not ideal.

These will be powered by a Denon 5803 receiver only (no additional amp) and used for my HT only (no music).

Thanks in advance for everyones advice.
Here's an honest opinion. If you're going to spend $2000+ on speakers that you can audition down the street and make your choice based on someone else's opinion... well, on second thought, maybe I won't give you my "honest" opinion.

These speakers are about as different as you can get. If you don't have a preference, I suggest flipping a coin: heads Klipsch, tales Paradigm (or vice versa).

·
Banned
11,550 Posts
The Denon will be plenty powerful ... especially with the Klipsch...

Did you have a preference at the store ? You DID hear them both there, and even in a "not great" room... it should help. If you can answer this, you are on your way.

For MY money, I would grab the Klipsch. They are an excellent speaker, but if YOU liked the 100's better, this is YOUR money.

·
Registered
35 Posts
These are both great speakers. I personally prefer the Klipsch. If you're going to take them home to audition(which is a great idea) don't bother with each company's bookshelves. Take home the speakers you are actually going to purchase. Aside from the towers sounding different than the bookshelves, this will also give you a good idea of placement requirements in your room.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
IMO, TG offered some good advice disguised in his "humor." The Paradigm and Klipsch are vastly different. I'd recommend that you take some more time and listen to some more speakers before making a decision.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I own both Klipsch Reference and Paradigm Studio speakers. I think the Paradigm's have a much more accurate midrange and excel at vocal reproduction. The soundstage is more laid back. The Klispch are forward, detailed and dynamic. A very engaging presentation. Both speakers can be unforgiving with sibilance.

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit07
IMO, TG offered some good advice disguised in his "humor." The Paradigm and Klipsch are vastly different. I'd recommend that you take some more time and listen to some more speakers before making a decision.
My pesky humor often gets in the way of my advice.:) It's a problem I have in real life, too.

·
Banned
2,245 Posts
Not really a comparison. Two completely different speakers. Totally a matter of taste. Some people like horns, others like a more authentic sound. Personally I like Paradigm. My opinion means nothing. Go out and decide for yourself which sound you prefer.

Either way, the Denon can handle it, but I am going to run a separate amp for my Studio 100s. That too, is a matter of taste (and budget).

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Artisn
Not really a comparison. Two completely different speakers. Totally a matter of taste. Some people like horns, others like a more authentic sound......

yeah.... you're right .....

every live concert you've ever attended that used any amplification at all was not authentic.... :rolleyes:

don't ya just hate all those "fake" live concerts......

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
235 Posts
When I was auditioning speakers, my last stop was a small audio shop that pretty much sold Paradigm and Klipsch only. I was able to put these speakers head to head and to me the RF-7 was easily the winner.

I did like the Paradigm sound though and build quality. I could live with them but when spending my own $2000.00 Klipsch was the choice. I highly recommend you audition both speakers a few times. This is not a small purchase.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Are you planning on getting RF7s/100s all the way around or is there a package deal?

If you can, take a DVD or two that you like to the store and demo them. Personally I take T2 and play a few scenes...

1) the very beginning where the skull gets stepped on and crushed

2) whole car chase scene

3) rescuing Sarach Connor scene starting with the T1000 going through the bars

All three scenes cover a wide range of sound, and really give me a good impression of the system I'm listening to.

As for my opinion: RF7s.

·
Registered
726 Posts
The best advice here is to pick the one YOU like best. Go listen to them more... have the dealer set them up properly... don't be afraid to ask them to do this. If you are going to spend that kind of money on speakers, then they'll do it. I also recommend listening to more than just one or two movie chapters. Spend some time with them before you decide.

As for my taste in sound, the Paradigms are a clearly superior choice. The Klipsch literally hurt my ears... hence my recommendation to spend some time with them. The initial impression of the Klipsch (to me) was WOW... very dynamic. After spending about 20 minutes listening to them, however, I needed aspirin and wanted to rip the horns out of them. That doesn't mean that they're bad speakers, they just weren't right for me. Had I purely went on first impressions, however, I would have probably made a poor choice for me. At very least, get the speakers from a dealer that would allow for a swap if you get the speakers home for a little while and decide you don't really care for it as much as you thought you would.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
I have the Klipsch RF-7s and the Denon AVR-5803 and I just love them. However, I am looking at replacing the sub with an PB12-Plus/2 sub with a 900 watt built-in BASH amp. Just want alot of bass. I'll probably sell my RSW-15 sub since it is only 6 months old and hasn't had much use as I haven't been home much.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.