AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to help a friend build a set of speakers. He really likes the Klipsch RP-280F, but the RP-260F fits his budget better. Still, at over $500 each that is even a stretch for him. I have not heard either Klipsch model.

Which DIY Soundgroup kits would compare to these models? I have three 1099's. I'm sure these beat the Klipsch. But what about the Fusion-8 Alchemy or Cinema-8? He could build LCR if he went with these vs two 1099 or Klipsch.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
no replies!

what about fusion 12/15 and put the rest of the money into the subwoofer fund?

·
Registered
973 Posts
I am not familiar with those particular Klipsch speakers, but, I am assuming that those are the Best Buy models? I would steer him towards the Fusion 15's as they are under $500 each and will outperform anything that Klipsch has to offer. (With exceptions to their Palladium and commercial line, ie: the Jubilee).

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Note: I am not trying to be a Klipsch fanboy here, my cut-and-paste was clumsy at best.

I thought it would be helpful to post the Klipsch specs and then see if a DIY Soundgroup speaker was comparable. To me, there are a couple of bottom lines for comparison.

• PRICE: What Soundgroup DIY can you get for $525 a speaker?
  • SPECS: The Klipsch is a TMM floor stander with dual 6.25" woofs.

I can't offer a direct comparison because the Klipsch RP-260f is a brand new model and I have not heard it.

RP-260F Floorstanding Speaker

$525.00 Each

AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE NOW ON KLIPSCH.COM

SPECS
Frequency Response: 34-25kHz +/- 3dB SENSITIVITY: 97dB @ 2.83V / 1m
POWER HANDLING (CONT/PEAK): 125W/500W
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 Ohms Compatible
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER: 1" Titanium LTS Tweeter with Hybrid Tractrix Horn Low Frequency Driver: Dual 6.5" Cerametallic Cone Woofers
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 1800Hz
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass Reflex via rear-firing Tractrix port

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
So for a direct speaker spec comparison, the Fusion Vibe 6 center has dual 6" woofers and crosses at 2400 Hz. Cost is $138 each plus you build your own enclosure.

For price comparison (and Erich has warned us not to compare models this way ;)) for $525, well, I couldn't get to $525. Some of the larger Cinema speakers were out-of-stock and did not list prices.

The closest I could get with a two-way design was the Cinema 10 Max MTM design with dual 10" woofers, for $372 (includes flat pack).

And "yes" I know I did a lousy job of comparing products. :p

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
There's no point in bringing up Klipsch specs, they are disgustingly inaccurate. They are also too cheap to put notch filters on the metal woofer breakup which is where the famous Klipsch fatigue/bright/harsh reputation comes from.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking the Cinema 10 max may be a good pick for him. I'm a big fan of Ryan's designs.

The Cinema 10 price point would allow him to build three. From the research I've done, they should outperform the Klipsch.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have heard those Klipsch and I own the Tempest. The Tempest are light years better. You can even purchase a flat pack and still come out ahead. I'm sure any speaker from diy would sound better than those. I would add a sub regardless, but that's just me..

Good luck..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts